    * setting the diag-switch, but how?
    * enabling the serial console?

    thanks!
    Alex Bihlmaier, Jun 24, 2008

  2. Alex Bihlmaier

    Greg Andrews Guest

    Alex Bihlmaier <> writes:
    >I had a running and working Ultra 5 and some day my serial connection to
    >the OPB had serious transmission problems. I accidentally enter some
    >garbage like "setenv output-device blafoo" which certainly is wrong and
    >not a valid output device.
    >
    >Now this Ultra5 shows no console on ttya or ttyb, neither on the
    >framebuffer vga out.
    >
    >how can i debug this problem? what can i do to get this system working
    >again?
    >* resetting nvram?
    >* setting the diag-switch, but how?
    >* enabling the serial console?

    The traditional method to reset nvram on the Ultra xx workstations has
    been to power the computer off, plug in a Sun keyboard to the adb-style
    keyboard connector (and a video screen into the video output connector),
    hold down the Stop and N keys, and power the computer on. Keep holding
    the Stop and N keys for 30 seconds (maybe longer) after powering on.

    Then you should be able to set the input/output devices to the right
    device.

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.