Browser default choice in theEudora E-Mail program.

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Angelo Campanella, Dec 2, 2010.

  1. Dear All:

    In mail readers, when a link is imbedded in an E-mail message, one gets
    that link directly by just clicking on it. At that moment, any ThinkPad
    immediately summons a browser to go on the internet, find that target, and
    then display it.

    Unfortunately, an historic legacy of my software, ages old now, is that
    I at one time used Netscape as my default browser.

    Unfortunately, I still use Eudora, which (unsupported these days,
    another issue) has a legacy trove of over a thousand plus mailboxes and
    countless E-mails going back to 1995 that I don't want to give up.

    So these days, time after time in Eudora, when I click on a link a
    colleague sends me, the ThinkPad passes the ball to Netscape (I now use
    Firefox as my default browser). Netscape is mounted and can respond, but
    it's slow and at times I loose Netscape; as if I dismount Netscape, I can't
    get it back without rebooting, a nasty chore for other reasons.

    What I need to do is to change things so that Firefox is the default
    browser as far as Eudora is concerned (other softwares know better and uses
    Firefox).

    So, can anyone here tell me how to change the default browser (in
    Eudora's eyes) to be Firefox. I'd even settle for Internet Explorer which
    seems to be well-behaved these days, though I do prefer Firefox... I've
    looked all over Eudora and Windows explorer, and can find no hint at all.

    Thanks in advance for whatever info you can offer....

    Angelo Campanella

    Angelo Campanella, Dec 2, 2010

  2. Angelo Campanella

    Ed_G Guest

    > In mail readers, when a link is imbedded in an E-mail message, one
    > gets
    > that link directly by just clicking on it. At that moment, any
    > ThinkPad immediately summons a browser to go on the internet, find
    > that target, and then display it.
    >
    > Unfortunately, an historic legacy of my software, ages old now, is
    > that
    > I at one time used Netscape as my default browser.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I still use Eudora, which (unsupported these days,
    > another issue) has a legacy trove of over a thousand plus mailboxes
    > and countless E-mails going back to 1995 that I don't want to give up.
    >
    > So these days, time after time in Eudora, when I click on a link a
    > colleague sends me, the ThinkPad passes the ball to Netscape (I now
    > use Firefox as my default browser). Netscape is mounted and can
    > respond, but it's slow and at times I loose Netscape; as if I dismount
    > Netscape, I can't get it back without rebooting, a nasty chore for
    > other reasons.
    >
    > What I need to do is to change things so that Firefox is the
    > default
    > browser as far as Eudora is concerned (other softwares know better and
    > uses Firefox).
    >
    > So, can anyone here tell me how to change the default browser (in
    > Eudora's eyes) to be Firefox. I'd even settle for Internet Explorer
    > which seems to be well-behaved these days, though I do prefer
    > Firefox... I've looked all over Eudora and Windows explorer, and can
    > find no hint at all.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for whatever info you can offer....
    >
    > Angelo Campanella

    Angelo,

    I strongly suspect you can get an answer to this problem on the Eudora
    newsgroup. There is more than one eudora discussion group, but I think
    if you simply pick the one with the vast majority of postings on it you
    will have found the correct one. I do not recall the specific group
    name, but I have used that group occasionaly when I have had Eudora
    problems in the past. Good luck. Just search all groups for Eudora.

    Ed

    Ed_G, Dec 2, 2010