Buying Notebook

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Five By Five, Feb 26, 2012.

  1. Five By Five

    Five By Five Guest

    After nearly 5 years, time to replace my HP Pav dv9500t, which I was able to
    buy custom-to-order online (not at local store).

    In fact, I am really wondering if what I want can be bought (listed below) at
    any local store any place in the U.S.

    My wife will be visiting Washington D.C. area for several days, and I am
    hoping she can buy what I need. Buying it where I reside costs double
    (customs, bribes, sales taxes) what one would pay for in the U.S., which is
    why this is done.

    Is anyone familiar with reputable notebook sellers in Washington D.C. area?

    Models I have shown interest in:

    * Dell Precision M6600
    * Asus G74SX
    * Origin EON 17-S, 17-X

    The main requirements are in a video card that handles scientific image
    analysis software and a large display (17-inch or greater). Quadcore CPU,
    7200 rpm HDD and/or SSD.

    I seriously doubt Staples or Best Buy cater to these specific models, but I
    could be wrong.
    Five By Five, Feb 26, 2012

  2. Five By Five

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:XnsA005DB2CD74C85x55x5@88.198.244.100,
    Five By Five typed:
    > After nearly 5 years, time to replace my HP Pav dv9500t, which I was
    > able to buy custom-to-order online (not at local store).
    >
    > In fact, I am really wondering if what I want can be bought (listed
    > below) at any local store any place in the U.S.
    >
    > My wife will be visiting Washington D.C. area for several days, and I
    > am hoping she can buy what I need. Buying it where I reside costs
    > double (customs, bribes, sales taxes) what one would pay for in the
    > U.S., which is why this is done.
    >
    > Is anyone familiar with reputable notebook sellers in Washington D.C.
    > area?
    >

    > Models I have shown interest in:
    >
    > * Dell Precision M6600
    > * Asus G74SX
    > * Origin EON 17-S, 17-X
    >
    > The main requirements are in a video card that handles scientific
    > image analysis software and a large display (17-inch or greater).
    > Quadcore CPU, 7200 rpm HDD and/or SSD.
    >
    > I seriously doubt Staples or Best Buy cater to these specific models,
    > but I could be wrong.

    They both have websites and you should be able to checkout what they
    have. And even if a store in the DC area stocks what you are looking
    for. And if not, they could get it to a store in a few days. Does this
    help you out?

    --
    Bill
    Asus EeePC 701 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
    BillW50, Feb 26, 2012

  3. Five By Five

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Feb 26, 1:32 pm, Five By Five <> wrote:
    > After nearly 5 years, time to replace my HP Pav dv9500t, which I was ableto
    > buy custom-to-order online (not at local store).
    >
    > In fact, I am really wondering if what I want can be bought (listed below) at
    > any local store any place in the U.S.
    >
    > My wife will be visiting Washington D.C. area for several days, and I am
    > hoping she can buy what I need.  Buying it where I reside costs double
    > (customs, bribes, sales taxes) what one would pay for in the U.S., which is
    > why this is done.
    >
    > Is anyone familiar with reputable notebook sellers in Washington D.C. area?
    >
    > Models I have shown interest in:
    >
    > * Dell Precision M6600
    > * Asus G74SX
    > * Origin EON 17-S, 17-X
    >
    > The main requirements are in a video card that handles scientific image
    > analysis software and a large display (17-inch or greater).  Quadcore CPU,
    > 7200 rpm HDD and/or SSD.
    >
    > I seriously doubt Staples or Best Buy cater to these specific models, butI
    > could be wrong.

    It seems these requirements must have just prung-up...not needing a
    replacement for that amount of time!? Why so intense a machine that
    could be had more easily with a desktop?
    Bob_Villa, Feb 26, 2012