Can a PC be faster in one location than other??

Discussion in 'IBM' started by The Cappucinno Kid, May 15, 2005.

  1. I made a weird observation today. I took a friend's PC that I'd
    been working on for 2 weeks from the city, to the country, 45 minutes
    away. Without having changed a single setting, when I set it up at his
    place, the entire system was much faster than what I saw an hour prior
    at the city location. At least 150% faster, with EVERYTHING, not just
    the net. At first I couldn't explain it, but I have what may be a plausible
    theory. But I'd like to see if others have experienced this phenomenon and
    can say what it's based on?

    1. Advertising

  2. The Cappucinno Kid wrote:
    > I made a weird observation today. I took a friend's PC that I'd
    > been working on for 2 weeks from the city, to the country, 45 minutes
    > away. Without having changed a single setting, when I set it up at his
    > place, the entire system was much faster than what I saw an hour prior
    > at the city location. At least 150% faster, with EVERYTHING, not just
    > the net. At first I couldn't explain it, but I have what may be a plausible
    > theory. But I'd like to see if others have experienced this phenomenon and
    > can say what it's based on?

    Any differences in location should be negligable (except for internet
    connection, that is).

    There are ideal temperatures that the electronics should perform at, but
    it's doubtful you would notice any difference (unless it overheats).

    Maybe it was just in dire need of a reboot?

    Or maybe grass is always greener, yada yada.

    //Kevin

    1. Advertising

  3. CJT

    CJT Guest

    The Cappucinno Kid wrote:
    > I made a weird observation today. I took a friend's PC that I'd
    > been working on for 2 weeks from the city, to the country, 45 minutes
    > away. Without having changed a single setting, when I set it up at his
    > place, the entire system was much faster than what I saw an hour prior
    > at the city location. At least 150% faster, with EVERYTHING, not just
    > the net. At first I couldn't explain it, but I have what may be a plausible
    > theory. But I'd like to see if others have experienced this phenomenon and
    > can say what it's based on?

    better weed?

  4. daytripper

    daytripper Guest

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 14:41:23 GMT, CJT <> wrote:

    >The Cappucinno Kid wrote:
    >> I made a weird observation today. I took a friend's PC that I'd
    >> been working on for 2 weeks from the city, to the country, 45 minutes
    >> away. Without having changed a single setting, when I set it up at his
    >> place, the entire system was much faster than what I saw an hour prior
    >> at the city location. At least 150% faster, with EVERYTHING, not just
    >> the net. At first I couldn't explain it, but I have what may be a plausible
    >> theory. But I'd like to see if others have experienced this phenomenon and
    >> can say what it's based on?
    >>

    >better weed?

    and that's my nominee for Post of the Week ;-)

  5. CJT

    CJT Guest

    The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
    <snip>

    Somebody has had too much cappuccino.

  6. "Kevin Buffardi" <> wrote in message
    > The Cappucinno Kid wrote:
    > > I made a weird observation today. I took a friend's PC that I'd
    > > been working on for 2 weeks from the city, to the country, 45 minutes
    > > away. Without having changed a single setting, when I set it up at his
    > > place, the entire system was much faster than what I saw an hour prior
    > > at the city location. At least 150% faster, with EVERYTHING, not just
    > > the net. At first I couldn't explain it, but I have what may be a

    plausible
    > > theory. But I'd like to see if others have experienced this phenomenon

    and
    > > can say what it's based on?

    > Any differences in location should be negligable (except for internet
    > connection, that is).

    They weren't. So don't tell me I didn't experience what I did fool, simply
    because you have no fucking clue on earth as to what it can be attributed
    to.

    > There are ideal temperatures that the electronics should perform at, but
    > it's doubtful you would notice any difference (unless it overheats).

    The only thing doubtful here is the fact that you have any knowledge about
    anything at all, clueless wonder.

    > Maybe it was just in dire need of a reboot?

    Or maybe you are in dire need of growing a brain, nitwit.

    > Or maybe grass is always greener, yada yada.

    Maybe the grass you smoke, yada yada.

  7. "CJT" <> wrote in message
    > The Cappucinno Kid wrote:
    > > I made a weird observation today. I took a friend's PC that I'd
    > > been working on for 2 weeks from the city, to the country, 45 minutes
    > > away. Without having changed a single setting, when I set it up at his
    > > place, the entire system was much faster than what I saw an hour prior
    > > at the city location. At least 150% faster, with EVERYTHING, not just
    > > the net. At first I couldn't explain it, but I have what may be a

    plausible
    > > theory. But I'd like to see if others have experienced this phenomenon

    and
    > > can say what it's based on?
    > >

    > better weed?

    I don't smoke weed or take any drugs whatsoever. But I'll bet you like
    smoking dick, ass bandit.

  8. "daytripper" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 15 May 2005 14:41:23 GMT, CJT <> wrote:
    >
    > >The Cappucinno Kid wrote:
    > >> I made a weird observation today. I took a friend's PC that I'd
    > >> been working on for 2 weeks from the city, to the country, 45 minutes
    > >> away. Without having changed a single setting, when I set it up at his
    > >> place, the entire system was much faster than what I saw an hour prior
    > >> at the city location. At least 150% faster, with EVERYTHING, not just
    > >> the net. At first I couldn't explain it, but I have what may be a

    plausible
    > >> theory. But I'd like to see if others have experienced this phenomenon

    and
    > >> can say what it's based on?
    > >>

    > >better weed?

    > and that's my nominee for Post of the Week ;-)

    How special. One utter and complete imbecile patting the back of another.
    You two must get together and butt heads to decide who gets to lick the
    other's asshole.

  9. > They weren't. So don't tell me I didn't experience what I did fool, simply
    > because you have no fucking clue on earth as to what it can be attributed
    > to.

    I didn't say you didn't perceive a notable change in performance. I'm
    simply stating that simple change in location -- given all else is equal
    -- doesn't noticably change a computer's performance. The phenomena was
    due to another variable that you're overlooking.

    You asked the question; we answered it. No need to get belligerent
    because it's not the answer you wanted.

    //Kevin

  10. daytripper

    daytripper Guest

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:13:33 -0400, "The Cappuccino Kid"
    <mjj#> wrote:

    >"daytripper" <> wrote in message

    >plausible

    >and
    >> >>

    >> >better weed?

    >> and that's my nominee for Post of the Week ;-)

    >How special. One utter and complete imbecile patting the back of another.
    >You two must get together and butt heads to decide who gets to lick the
    >other's asshole.

    <yawn>

    Time for you to switch to Decaf, nitwit...

  11. Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 23:15:24 -0400, "The Cappucinno Kid"
    <mjj#> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >I made a weird observation today. I took a friend's PC that I'd
    >been working on for 2 weeks from the city, to the country, 45 minutes
    >away. Without having changed a single setting, when I set it up at his
    >place, the entire system was much faster than what I saw an hour prior
    >at the city location. At least 150% faster, with EVERYTHING, not just
    >the net. At first I couldn't explain it, but I have what may be a plausible
    >theory. But I'd like to see if others have experienced this phenomenon and
    >can say what it's based on?

    I doubt that I would notice a performance improvement of only 150% in
    general applications, unless I ran a benchmark. Do you have any
    empirical evidence, or are you basing your observation on a "gut
    feeling"?

    If the speed differences are genuine, then I'd check your CPU
    temperature to make sure that the CPU speed isn't being throttled.
    Otherwise, is it possible that your city based PC was being slowed by
    an aggressive Internet based attack???

    - Franc Zabkar