Can an EIDE hard drive be added to an SR2050NX?

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Ken Wampach, Oct 20, 2006.

  1. Ken Wampach

    Ken Wampach Guest

    I just purchased an SR2050NX. Thing look OK so far.

    I do have a question. I would like to install an additional hard
    drive to write backups to. I would like to use an EIDE drive
    because they are cheap. Best buy has a Seagate 120Gb drive for
    $50 this week. Speed is not an issue, since it will just be used
    to by Acronis TI Home 9.0 to store the backup files. Does anyone
    know if there are problems adding an EIDE drive to this machine
    which comes with a SATA drive?

    I presume I can install the drive in the unused external 3.5"
    location designated as the "Floppy" location. (There isn't an
    extra internal 3.5" slot.) If I do need a floppy on the machine,
    I would use an external USB one. I don't see any obvious issues.
    Is anyone aware of any?

    I called Compaq tech support, but I was told that this type of
    advice was not covered by normal Customer Support. The tech did
    try to tell me what he could. He didn't find any obvious issues,
    but he was less than confident.

    --
    Ken Wampach - FirstNameATLastNameDOTorg
    Ken Wampach, Oct 20, 2006

  2. Ken Wampach

    craigm Guest

    Ken Wampach wrote:

    > I just purchased an SR2050NX. Thing look OK so far.
    >
    > I do have a question. I would like to install an additional hard
    > drive to write backups to. I would like to use an EIDE drive
    > because they are cheap. Best buy has a Seagate 120Gb drive for
    > $50 this week. Speed is not an issue, since it will just be used
    > to by Acronis TI Home 9.0 to store the backup files. Does anyone
    > know if there are problems adding an EIDE drive to this machine
    > which comes with a SATA drive?
    >
    > I presume I can install the drive in the unused external 3.5"
    > location designated as the "Floppy" location. (There isn't an
    > extra internal 3.5" slot.) If I do need a floppy on the machine,
    > I would use an external USB one. I don't see any obvious issues.
    > Is anyone aware of any?
    >
    > I called Compaq tech support, but I was told that this type of
    > advice was not covered by normal Customer Support. The tech did
    > try to tell me what he could. He didn't find any obvious issues,
    > but he was less than confident.

    Contact HP Parts, there may be a "second hard drive kit" available for that
    model. This allows mounting the drive below the flash slots.
    craigm, Oct 20, 2006

  3. Ken Wampach

    Guest

    On Oct 19, 9:56 pm, "Ken Wampach" <> wrote:
    > I just purchased an SR2050NX. Thing look OK so far.
    >
    > I do have a question. I would like to install an additional hard
    > drive to write backups to. I would like to use an EIDE drive
    > because they are cheap. Best buy has a Seagate 120Gb drive for
    > $50 this week. Speed is not an issue, since it will just be used
    > to by Acronis TI Home 9.0 to store the backup files. Does anyone
    > know if there are problems adding an EIDE drive to this machine
    > which comes with a SATA drive?
    >
    > I presume I can install the drive in the unused external 3.5"
    > location designated as the "Floppy" location. (There isn't an
    > extra internal 3.5" slot.) If I do need a floppy on the machine,
    > I would use an external USB one. I don't see any obvious issues.
    > Is anyone aware of any?
    >
    > I called Compaq tech support, but I was told that this type of
    > advice was not covered by normal Customer Support. The tech did
    > try to tell me what he could. He didn't find any obvious issues,
    > but he was less than confident.
    >
    > --
    > Ken Wampach - FirstNameATLastNameDOTorg

    A couple of points.

    If you have a 5 1/4" bay, you can easily, and cheaply get a mounting
    kit.

    Worst case is you have to get a seperate controller card and plug it it
    to a free pci slot. Most machines do not yet have SATA CD drives, so
    there should be at least 1 ide controller on the board.

    HOWEWER, as this dirve is just a backup, might you want to consider
    making that drive external?
    , Oct 22, 2006
  4. Ken Wampach

    Ken Wampach Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > On Oct 19, 9:56 pm, "Ken Wampach" <> wrote:
    >> I just purchased an SR2050NX. Thing look OK so far.
    >>
    >> I do have a question. I would like to install an additional
    >> hard
    >> drive to write backups to. I would like to use an EIDE drive
    >> because they are cheap. Best buy has a Seagate 120Gb drive
    >> for
    >> $50 this week. Speed is not an issue, since it will just be
    >> used
    >> to by Acronis TI Home 9.0 to store the backup files. Does
    >> anyone
    >> know if there are problems adding an EIDE drive to this
    >> machine
    >> which comes with a SATA drive?
    >>
    >> I presume I can install the drive in the unused external 3.5"
    >> location designated as the "Floppy" location. (There isn't an
    >> extra internal 3.5" slot.) If I do need a floppy on the
    >> machine,
    >> I would use an external USB one. I don't see any obvious
    >> issues.
    >> Is anyone aware of any?
    >>
    >> I called Compaq tech support, but I was told that this type
    >> of
    >> advice was not covered by normal Customer Support. The tech
    >> did
    >> try to tell me what he could. He didn't find any obvious
    >> issues,
    >> but he was less than confident.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ken Wampach - FirstNameATLastNameDOTorg

    > A couple of points.
    >
    > If you have a 5 1/4" bay, you can easily, and cheaply get a
    > mounting
    > kit.
    >
    > Worst case is you have to get a seperate controller card and
    > plug it it
    > to a free pci slot. Most machines do not yet have SATA CD
    > drives, so
    > there should be at least 1 ide controller on the board.
    >
    > HOWEWER, as this dirve is just a backup, might you want to
    > consider
    > making that drive external?

    I talked to one of the computer sales guys at the local Best
    Buy. He said that he would not expect to experience a problem
    with mixing SATA and EIDE on a Compaq with a recent chip set
    like the SR2050NX. While I wouldn't bet my life on information
    from a Best Buy sales guy, this did seem reasonable. Since there
    was a reasonable chance it would work and little risk of harm to
    my machine, I decided the thing to do was try it.

    I picked up the 120GB Seagate they had on sale for $50. The box
    says it's an ST3120026A although Windows XP reports that it is
    an ST3120814A. I installed the drive in the unused "External"
    3.5" location. The only difference from the "Internal" 3.5"
    location used by the included SATA drive is that the drive
    sticks forward about 1/2". It still fits behind the cover plate
    which you would remove for a unit requiring external access like
    a floppy drive. I used the Cable Select cable included with the
    drive to connect to the unused IDE1 connector on the RC410-M
    (Asterope3) Motherboard. (The CD/DVD unit was on the cable
    connected to the IDE2 connector.) I used the middle connector
    which made it the slave.

    The machine booted without any issues. I used Windows to init
    and format the drive. Everthing looks fine. I checked the BIOS
    boot order which was Floppy, DVD, Hard Drive, and Network. The
    new drive is after the SATA drive.

    I was able to boot my Acronis CD and use its "Safe Version" to
    backup my the original SATA drive to a file on the new drive.
    The Acronis True Image 9.0 Home "Full Version" seems to have
    some problems with the SATA drive. It takes a very long time to
    load the software and and it also takes a very long time to find
    the drive. Everything went normally using the "Safe Version".
    (Since the "Safe Version" does not have USB support, I would
    expect problems with an external drive. Hopefully the SATA
    issues are fixed in the recently released version 10.0.) The
    Windows version of Acronis was able to Mount the partition
    images contained in the backup file, and they look fine.

    --
    Ken Wampach - FirstNameATLastNameDOTorg
    Ken Wampach, Oct 23, 2006