    Seagate 250gig and wondered if there was a way to just completely copy the
    80gb onto the 250bg so the 250 will become the primary C drive, I plan on
    taking the 80gb hd out and put it into my daughters PC.

    Jackie, Mar 7, 2007

  2. Jackie

    hdrdtd Guest

    Any one of many disk imaging software programs will do that. I prefer to use
    Acronis TrueImage.

    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    hdrdtd, Mar 7, 2007

  3. Jackie

    Colin Wilson Guest

    > As I stated in a earlier post I plan on replacing our 80gig hd with a
    > Seagate 250gig and wondered if there was a way to just completely copy the
    > 80gb onto the 250bg so the 250 will become the primary C drive, I plan on
    > taking the 80gb hd out and put it into my daughters PC.

    Acronis True Image can do that for you.

    Colin Wilson, Mar 7, 2007
  4. Jackie

    Ben Myers Guest

    Seagate's SeaTools is free and would obviously work with a Seagate drive. I
    use it a lot, 'cause I am thrifty... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 7, 2007
  5. Jackie

    Tom Scales Guest

    That's what I recommend too, but the last time I checked, it wasn't on their
    site. They replaced it with Trialware of something, can't remember what,
    and it didn't work at all. Might be back by now.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 7, 2007
  6. Jackie

    Jackie Guest

    Tom and Ben I agree with you two, I would much rather not have to pay $50 to
    do this.. I just checked Seatools and they seem to be geared towards a
    utility to detect problem hard drives, BUT I see where they also have a
    program called Migrate Easy which looks exactly like what I'm looking for..
    Correct??

    Jackie, Mar 7, 2007
  7. Jackie

    Tom Scales Guest

    Well, Migrate easy is the new one. Should work.

    Tom Scales, Mar 7, 2007
  8. Jackie

    Boris Guest

    "Jackie" <> wrote in

    Migrate Easy is an Acronis product, available on their website for $40,
    and also as a 'free for 15 days' download trial.

    I wonder if the Acronis Migrate Easy that's offered on the Seagate site
    is crippled after 15 days.

    The User Guide on both sites is identical.

    http://www.seagate.com/support/discwizard/MigrateEasy7.0_ug.en.pdf

    Boris, Mar 8, 2007
  9. Yes, with an imaging program (Acronis TrueImage, Symantec Ghost or
    PowerQuest Drive Image (no longer sold, but still available)).

    Barry Watzman, Mar 8, 2007
  10. Jackie

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, it is the trailware

    Tom Scales, Mar 8, 2007
  11. Jackie

    Guest

    On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 05:19:54 -0500, "Tom Scales" <>
    wrote:

    >Yes, it is the trailware
    ><Boris> wrote in message
    >> "Jackie" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> Migrate Easy is an Acronis product, available on their website for

    $40,
    >> and also as a 'free for 15 days' download trial.
    >>
    >> I wonder if the Acronis Migrate Easy that's offered on the Seagate

    site
    >> is crippled after 15 days.
    >>
    >> The User Guide on both sites is identical.
    >>
    >> http://www.seagate.com/support/discwizard/MigrateEasy7.0_ug.en.pdf

    I used Acronys True Image to transfer the old drive to the new one with
    no problems.
    Regards
    buddy b

    , Mar 9, 2007
  12. Jackie

    Ben Myers Guest

    First of all, I erred in describing the Seagate software that copies hard drives
    nicely. It is the Disk Wizard, not Seatools, but it is no longer available on
    the Seagate web site. The explanation given on the Seagate web site re. the
    "new" tool, Migrate Easy, is a large pile of horse droppings. I've installed
    Disk Wizard under Windows on a bunch of computers, then copied the contents of a
    drive to another drive, subsequently made bootable. The only potential issue
    with Disk Wizard is, of course, whether it runs under Vista. Under earlier
    versions of Windows, devices like USB keyboards, USB-attached hard drives,
    PCMCIA-attached hard drives, etc. are really non-issues (despite the claims on
    Seagate's web site) because Windows does the right thing, namely keep the
    application from knowing the deep-down and dirty low level hardware details.

    I guess I'll have to try Migrate Easy some time soon, while keeping my copy of
    Disk Wizard handy... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 9, 2007
  13. Jackie

    Pinger Guest

    Well the Vista thing is a non issue since I'm only running XP Pro on all my
    computers(something I plan on doing until at least the first service pack)
    but I am a bit worried since you seem to think Migrate Easy is a "pile of
    horse Droppings".. Is there problems with the program??

    Pinger, Mar 9, 2007
  14. Jackie

    Ben Myers Guest

    Read again, but closely this time, what I said. "The EXPLANATION given on the
    Seagate web site re. the "new" tool, Migrate Easy, is a large pile of horse
    droppings." (CAPS for emphasis) There is something going on that Seagate is
    not telling the world. Expired contract for Disk Wizard? Some better deal
    for Seagate from Acronis than from the company that did Disk Wizard?

    I have no clue how Migrate Easy works. I've never used it. The blurb about
    it on the Acronis web site does not sound much different than Disk Wizard. No
    matter. I have copies of both. I'll try Migrate Easy when I have a chance,
    and will probably continue using Disk Wizard out of habit, and, also, because it
    actually works... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 9, 2007