Can I create a Guest user?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Posterizer, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. Posterizer

    Posterizer Guest

    Gang,
    I'd like to create a Guest user account on my machine (G5, Panther).
    IIRC, in Classic there was a Guest user by default. I don't see that
    here, and when I tried to create one using the name "Guest" it told me
    that I could not use that name. Am I overlooking a default Guest
    account?

    BTW, I tried fast-switching even with just one account. It's neat. But
    in my playing around with it, I put the system to sleep while it was at
    the login window, and upon re-awakening, the system was froze. No
    mouse, no force-quitting, only finding the power strip and powering
    everything down...

    _d
    Posterizer, Nov 6, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Posterizer

    Guest

    In article <>, Posterizer
    <> wrote:

    > Gang,
    > I'd like to create a Guest user account on my machine (G5, Panther).
    > IIRC, in Classic there was a Guest user by default. I don't see that
    > here, and when I tried to create one using the name "Guest" it told me
    > that I could not use that name. Am I overlooking a default Guest
    > account?


    You can use 'Guest' for the 'Name' field but not the short name, so use
    something else for that such as 'anybody', and leave the password
    blank.

    Rob.
    , Nov 6, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Posterizer

    Posterizer Guest

    In article <061120032222040195%>,
    "" <> wrote:

    >
    > You can use 'Guest' for the 'Name' field but not the short name, so use
    > something else for that such as 'anybody', and leave the password
    > blank.


    Thanks (and thanks for the note about the password--I forgot to ask if I
    could have a non-passworded account :)

    _dennis
    Posterizer, Nov 7, 2003
    #3
  4. Posterizer

    Mats Weber Guest

    In article <>,
    Posterizer <> wrote:

    >BTW, I tried fast-switching even with just one account.


    How did you do that with only one account ?
    Mats Weber, Nov 7, 2003
    #4
  5. Posterizer

    l Guest

    In article <>,
    Mats Weber <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Posterizer <> wrote:
    >
    > >BTW, I tried fast-switching even with just one account.

    >
    > How did you do that with only one account ?


    Maybe one could still select "Login screen" or whatever it is called,
    from the "user menu" at top right and get to the login screen. Then if
    the login is set to show a list of users, there would be the name of the
    only user and the text "Logged in". The only fun I see in doing this
    would be watching the cube animation ;)

    But if the screen is set to show just the username/password fields, it
    would be harder to guess what to type in these than to "just" give the
    password in the screen saver. This could prove additional security,
    although I don´t think anyone would bother to get into someone else´s
    machine by guessing passwords manually from the keyboard.

    ..lauri
    l, Nov 7, 2003
    #5
  6. Posterizer

    Posterizer Guest

    In article <bofuok$kgh$>,
    l <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Mats Weber <> wrote:
    >
    > > >

    > > How did you do that with only one account ?

    >
    > Maybe one could still select "Login screen" or whatever it is called,
    > from the "user menu" at top right and get to the login screen. Then if
    > the login is set to show a list of users, there would be the name of the
    > only user and the text "Logged in". The only fun I see in doing this
    > would be watching the cube animation ;)


    That's exactly how I did it. And that's about all I got out of it
    (except for the freeze after I put it to sleep and woke it back up on
    that login screen--I'm afraid to try that again...)

    _d
    Posterizer, Nov 7, 2003
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Terry McDanel
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    170
    Terry McDanel
    May 7, 2004
  2. Gnarlodious

    Guest account?

    Gnarlodious, Oct 24, 2004, in forum: Apple
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    417
    Martin Sammtleben
    Oct 26, 2004
  3. Rlee James

    Guest PC

    Rlee James, Dec 13, 2005, in forum: Apple
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    180
    Joakim Wendel
    Dec 15, 2005
  4. peyoting

    xp in a ppc (using vpc or guest)

    peyoting, Aug 21, 2006, in forum: Apple
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    189
    peyoting
    Aug 24, 2006
  5. Replies:
    3
    Views:
    241
    Bob Harris
    Mar 23, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page