Can I mix use ECC & non-ECC SDRAM on same mother board ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by C.M.LAU, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. C.M.LAU

    C.M.LAU Guest

    Recently I get an old ECC SDRAM from an old Server. (Those SDRAM with
    9 nos of memory chips soldered onto the memory bar)

    Can I add this old ECC SDRAM (with 9 nos of chips on the bar) onto my
    old home computer, whose mother board use ordinary non-ECC SDRAM (with
    8 nos of chips on the bar only)

    Is there any need to set something on the BISO concerning the ECC
    function ???

    1. Advertising

  2. DaveW

    DaveW Guest

    NO, you cannot mix them, and you cannot use the ECC in a non-ECC designed
    motherboard.

    --
    DaveW

    "C.M.LAU" <> wrote in message
    > Recently I get an old ECC SDRAM from an old Server. (Those SDRAM with
    > 9 nos of memory chips soldered onto the memory bar)
    >
    > Can I add this old ECC SDRAM (with 9 nos of chips on the bar) onto my
    > old home computer, whose mother board use ordinary non-ECC SDRAM (with
    > 8 nos of chips on the bar only)
    >
    > Is there any need to set something on the BISO concerning the ECC
    > function ???

    1. Advertising

  3. C.M.LAU

    C.M.LAU Guest

    Thanks Dave,

    My old home computer's motherboard can support ECC in the BIOS's
    chipset features. But currently, because all existing 2 slots of
    SDRAM are non-ECC, hence such ECC support function was disabled in the
    BIOS setting.

    Now, I re-salvage a bar of old ECC SDRAM from an old server.
    I would like to mix use it on my old home computer's mother-board.

    i.e. Slot 1 = Non ECC SDRAM
    Slot 2 = Non ECC SDRAM
    Slot 3 = ECC SDRAM
    While I still maintain the BIOS setting to Non-ECC SDRAM. That is to
    said, I am not using the ECC feature of the slot 3's SDRAM only.

    I suppose that it works, but according to your saying above, it does
    not work.
    Is it true ???