Can I run 2000 where 98 and ME used to run, on old latop.

Discussion in 'Dell' started by mm, Jan 15, 2011.

  1. mm

    mm Guest

    Can I run 2000 where 98 and ME used to run, on old latop.

    I have a Dell Thinkpad 600E which came with win98 and had been
    upgraded to winME and was running well.

    I only used it on a trip and to take digital photos to show a friend.

    It was working fine 2 years ago but after sitting around, the
    harddrive has failed** and a refurbished 4gig HDD is 10 dollars or
    less.

    Is there any reason I can't install win2000 on the new hardrive?

    I'd rather use that because so much new software won't run on 98 or
    ME, and even though I don't plan to put much software on it, still it
    seems a mistake, I'm sorry to say, to load 98/me.

    I'll still only be using it lightly.

    The cpu is 366MHz and I don't remember how much RAM it had (whatever
    it came with) perhaps 320 Meg, is that possible?

    But I'm posting anyhow on the possibility those things won't be
    necessary to answer the question.)

    **I have a backup, but the files are not the issue. (and nothing I
    didn't have copies of was on the the computer, except 200 outgoing
    emails, about 20 of which are of value.)
    mm, Jan 15, 2011

  2. mm

    mm Guest

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 22:51:46 -0500, mm <>
    wrote:

    >Can I run 2000 where 98 and ME used to run, on old latop.
    >
    >I have a Dell Thinkpad 600E which came with win98 and had been
    >upgraded to winME and was running well.
    >
    >I only used it on a trip and to take digital photos to show a friend.
    >
    >It was working fine 2 years ago but after sitting around, the
    >harddrive has failed** and a refurbished 4gig HDD is 10 dollars or
    >less.
    >
    >Is there any reason I can't install win2000 on the new hardrive?
    >
    >I'd rather use that because so much new software won't run on 98 or
    >ME, and even though I don't plan to put much software on it, still it
    >seems a mistake, I'm sorry to say, to load 98/me.
    >
    >I'll still only be using it lightly.
    >

    >The cpu is 366MHz and I don't remember how much RAM it had (whatever
    >it came with) perhaps 320 Meg, is that possible?

    That is, the original ad said 320 PC100 ram . I don't know what
    320 means, 320 Meg? The computer was made around 2000 or 2002 iirc.

    mm, Jan 15, 2011

  3. mm

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:eek:,
    mm typed on Fri, 14 Jan 2011 22:51:46 -0500:
    > Can I run 2000 where 98 and ME used to run, on old latop.
    >
    > I have a Dell Thinkpad 600E which came with win98 and had been
    > upgraded to winME and was running well.
    >
    > I only used it on a trip and to take digital photos to show a friend.
    >
    > It was working fine 2 years ago but after sitting around, the
    > harddrive has failed** and a refurbished 4gig HDD is 10 dollars or
    > less.
    >
    > Is there any reason I can't install win2000 on the new hardrive?

    I few points here. You mean an IBM ThinkPad 600E and not a Dell, right?
    And a 4GB hard drive is large enough for Windows 2000. Although I would
    slipstream the install disc if you are going to update it to SP4 first.
    As it will take up less room on the drive that way.

    And the ThinkPad 600E came with 128MB of RAM. IMHO, you will not like
    the speed too much with this. As I ran Windows 2000 on such a system,
    but it had 192MB of RAM. And Windows 2000 swapped to the drive way too
    often. Although I had another machine the same, but had Windows 98SE on
    it and I used the Windows 2000 one far more. These two are Toshiba
    2595XDVD laptops which has about the same specs as yours.

    Luckily in my case with Windows 2000, it had all of the drivers on the
    install disc for everything. That is one problem you might have, finding
    Windows 2000 drivers for the video, sound, I/O, etc. But let's talk
    about speed.

    Windows 98SE booted up in about 90 seconds I recall. But Windows 2000
    under this little amount of RAM had taken 10 minutes. Even waking up
    from hibernation takes that long and slightly longer, so no help there.
    The reason why it was so slow was because it would load a bit, swap to
    disk, load a bit, swap, etc.

    Watching video (like youtube), Windows 98SE could handle up to 700kbps.
    While Windows 2000 could only handle about 100kbps. And I could watch
    DVD movies on the Windows 98SE machine, but unusable under Windows 2000.
    None the still, I used the Windows 2000 machine more for the web, email,
    etc. if I was going to use the computer for a few hours or more anyway.

    I have four netbooks and the CPUs are underclocked down to 633MHz. So
    they are still faster than the laptops we are talking about. But you can
    install up to 2GB of RAM on these machines. But even with just 512MB of
    RAM, Windows 2000 flies on such a machine (virtually no swapping).
    Although I believe 256MB of RAM or more works really well with Windows
    2000. And any more memory than 512MB I don't think you will see any
    improvements.

    So the driver issue and very slow booting, slow hibernation, and poor
    streaming video are the problems I believe you will see if you install
    Windows 2000 on it.

    A weird thing about Windows 9x and memory, anything more than 64MB
    doesn't seem to help performance at all. At least I never have seen any.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3
    BillW50, Jan 15, 2011
  4. mm

    fxmulder Guest

    4g hd is alright..BUT, it works your laptop to death..at least 10g, an
    keep files cleaned up, and 2000(you'll want to update to SP4, and al
    updates) and it should run fine.
    I put a 12g in a T22, and updated all 2000 programs, and it's actuall
    pretty fast(I was suprised!)

    CCleaner, evonsoft computer repair, and eusing free registry cleaner
    will keep it clean and quick!
    fxmulder, Jan 15, 2011
  5. On 1/14/2011 11:07 PM, mm wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 22:51:46 -0500, mm<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Can I run 2000 where 98 and ME used to run, on old latop.
    >>
    >> I have a Dell Thinkpad 600E which came with win98 and had been
    >> upgraded to winME and was running well.
    >>
    >> I only used it on a trip and to take digital photos to show a friend.
    >>
    >> It was working fine 2 years ago but after sitting around, the
    >> harddrive has failed** and a refurbished 4gig HDD is 10 dollars or
    >> less.
    >>
    >> Is there any reason I can't install win2000 on the new hardrive?
    >>
    >> I'd rather use that because so much new software won't run on 98 or
    >> ME, and even though I don't plan to put much software on it, still it
    >> seems a mistake, I'm sorry to say, to load 98/me.
    >>
    >> I'll still only be using it lightly.
    >>

    >> The cpu is 366MHz and I don't remember how much RAM it had (whatever
    >> it came with) perhaps 320 Meg, is that possible?

    > That is, the original ad said 320 PC100 ram . I don't know what
    > 320 means, 320 Meg? The computer was made around 2000 or 2002 iirc.
    >>
    >> But I'm posting anyhow on the possibility those things won't be
    >> necessary to answer the question.)
    >>
    >> **I have a backup, but the files are not the issue. (and nothing I
    >> didn't have copies of was on the the computer, except 200 outgoing
    >> emails, about 20 of which are of value.)

    no cross-posting please. this reply to als.sys.pc-clone.dell only.

    i recall though win2k would install on systems with 128mb of ram it was
    problematic. win98 did not require this much memory. so i think you
    first need to figure out what you have there, what make/model, amount of
    disk, and amount of ram. i wouldn't waste my time with a 4gb hard disk.
    larger disks are very cheap too and your machine could support much
    larger size disks. depending on the model it may have certain
    limitation but it would just ignore the amount of the disk that it can
    not recognize. and having said that i don't see any motivation for
    installing win2k instead of winxp. winxp is far more capable and
    supports much more stuff. even a basic anti virus for 2000 is almost
    non-existant these days.
    Christopher Muto, Jan 15, 2011
  6. mm

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Christopher Muto typed on Sat, 15 Jan 2011 13:59:19 -0500:
    > i recall though win2k would install on systems with 128mb of ram it
    > was problematic. win98 did not require this much memory. so i think
    > you first need to figure out what you have there, what make/model,
    > amount of disk, and amount of ram. i wouldn't waste my time with a
    > 4gb hard disk. larger disks are very cheap too and your machine
    > could support much larger size disks. depending on the model it may
    > have certain limitation but it would just ignore the amount of the
    > disk that it can not recognize. and having said that i don't see any
    > motivation for installing win2k instead of winxp. winxp is far more
    > capable and supports much more stuff. even a basic anti virus for
    > 2000 is almost non-existant these days.

    I looked up a ThinkPad 600E and it sports a 366MHz Pentium II and 128MB
    of RAM. I also installed Windows 2000 on a 4GB netbook just last year.
    And I may still have it installed on one of my spare solid state drives
    that I could pop in if needed. If not, it is on a backup which 4GB
    doesn't take long.

    Also Windows 2000 stock without any updates only takes 700MB of space.
    After all updates it becomes 2GB in size. So you have left about 2GB
    left for applications, swapfile, and data. I think this is enough for
    most people for a spare computer. But I have no problems if somebody
    suggests more disk space. I am just saying it will fit okay with 4GB.

    My big concern is the 128MB of RAM. As I believe it will be really slow
    and swap to disk that booting will take forever. Applications will also
    take longer to load, but once loaded should be okay as long as they are
    not heavy memory hitters. 256MB of RAM should be fine, if the ThinkPad
    600E can accept that much.

    Avast AV runs fine under Windows 2000, so if nothing else there is at
    least one that will. And Windows 2000 will generally run anything that
    Windows XP SP1 will run. But anything that requires Windows XP SP2 or
    greater most likely will not.

    BillW50, Jan 15, 2011
  7. mm

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:igstju$kmr$-september.org,
    BillW50 typed on Sat, 15 Jan 2011 13:47:09 -0600:
    > In news:,
    > Christopher Muto typed on Sat, 15 Jan 2011 13:59:19 -0500:
    >> i recall though win2k would install on systems with 128mb of ram it
    >> was problematic. win98 did not require this much memory. so i think
    >> you first need to figure out what you have there, what make/model,
    >> amount of disk, and amount of ram. i wouldn't waste my time with a
    >> 4gb hard disk. larger disks are very cheap too and your machine
    >> could support much larger size disks. depending on the model it may
    >> have certain limitation but it would just ignore the amount of the
    >> disk that it can not recognize. and having said that i don't see any
    >> motivation for installing win2k instead of winxp. winxp is far more
    >> capable and supports much more stuff. even a basic anti virus for
    >> 2000 is almost non-existant these days.

    > I looked up a ThinkPad 600E and it sports a 366MHz Pentium II and
    > 128MB of RAM. I also installed Windows 2000 on a 4GB netbook just
    > last year. And I may still have it installed on one of my spare solid
    > state drives that I could pop in if needed. If not, it is on a backup
    > which 4GB doesn't take long.
    >
    > Also Windows 2000 stock without any updates only takes 700MB of space.
    > After all updates it becomes 2GB in size. So you have left about 2GB
    > left for applications, swapfile, and data. I think this is enough for
    > most people for a spare computer. But I have no problems if somebody
    > suggests more disk space. I am just saying it will fit okay with 4GB.
    >
    > My big concern is the 128MB of RAM. As I believe it will be really
    > slow and swap to disk that booting will take forever. Applications
    > will also take longer to load, but once loaded should be okay as long
    > as they are not heavy memory hitters. 256MB of RAM should be fine, if
    > the ThinkPad 600E can accept that much.
    >
    > Avast AV runs fine under Windows 2000, so if nothing else there is at
    > least one that will. And Windows 2000 will generally run anything that
    > Windows XP SP1 will run. But anything that requires Windows XP SP2 or
    > greater most likely will not.

    Oh yeah... I wanted to also add that I would be a bit concern running XP
    on a 366MHz Pentium II with 128MB of RAM. Here are the requirements for
    XP.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#System_requirements

    The requirements for Windows 2000 are a Pentium processor of 133 MHz or
    greater, at least 32 MB of RAM, 650 MB of hard drive space, and a CD-ROM
    drive (recommended: Pentium II, 128 MB of RAM, 2 GB of hard drive space,
    and CD-ROM drive).

    In my experience though, if you have at least 400MB of RAM for Windows
    2000, the OS itself doesn't gain any more speed if you add more
    (although your applications might). And for Windows XP SP2, at least
    800MB of RAM the OS runs very well too.

    BillW50, Jan 15, 2011
  8. mm

    olfart Guest

    "fxmulder" <> wrote in message

    > 4g hd is alright..BUT, it works your laptop to death..at least 10g, and
    > keep files cleaned up, and 2000(you'll want to update to SP4, and all
    > updates) and it should run fine.
    > I put a 12g in a T22, and updated all 2000 programs, and it's actually
    > pretty fast(I was suprised!)
    >
    > CCleaner, evonsoft computer repair, and eusing free registry cleaner,
    > will keep it clean and quick!!

    CCleaner is great...
    any registry cleaner or "repair" programs are crap....can cause more
    problems.... and should be avoided
    olfart, Jan 16, 2011
  9. mm

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:igv7gb$rvv$,
    olfart typed on Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:48:13 -0500:
    > "fxmulder" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> 4g hd is alright..BUT, it works your laptop to death..at least 10g,
    >> and keep files cleaned up, and 2000(you'll want to update to SP4,
    >> and all updates) and it should run fine.
    >> I put a 12g in a T22, and updated all 2000 programs, and it's
    >> actually pretty fast(I was suprised!)
    >>
    >> CCleaner, evonsoft computer repair, and eusing free registry cleaner,
    >> will keep it clean and quick!!

    > CCleaner is great...
    > any registry cleaner or "repair" programs are crap....can cause more
    > problems.... and should be avoided

    Really? As I see Crap Cleaner (aka CCleaner) is nothing more than
    another registry cleaner. Although it is one of the most respected ones
    in the business.

    BillW50, Jan 16, 2011
  10. mm

    olfart Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    > In news:igv7gb$rvv$,
    > olfart typed on Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:48:13 -0500:
    >> "fxmulder" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> 4g hd is alright..BUT, it works your laptop to death..at least 10g,
    >>> and keep files cleaned up, and 2000(you'll want to update to SP4,
    >>> and all updates) and it should run fine.
    >>> I put a 12g in a T22, and updated all 2000 programs, and it's
    >>> actually pretty fast(I was suprised!)
    >>>
    >>> CCleaner, evonsoft computer repair, and eusing free registry cleaner,
    >>> will keep it clean and quick!!

    >> CCleaner is great...
    >> any registry cleaner or "repair" programs are crap....can cause more
    >> problems.... and should be avoided

    > Really? As I see Crap Cleaner (aka CCleaner) is nothing more than another
    > registry cleaner. Although it is one of the most respected ones in the
    > business.
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    CCleaner INCLUDES a Registry Cleaner...which you don't have to use.....but
    also does alot more to clean up a system. Of course you already know this,
    but are just tolling to start another one of your soapbox "injuneer" rants.
    Why don't you just stick your head back up your *** and talk to yourself
    olfart, Jan 16, 2011
  11. mm

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:igvt56$sjh$,
    olfart typed on Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:57:46 -0500:
    > CCleaner INCLUDES a Registry Cleaner...which you don't have to
    > use.....but also does alot more to clean up a system. Of course you
    > already know this, but are just tolling to start another one of your
    > soapbox "injuneer" rants. Why don't you just stick your head back up
    > your *** and talk to yourself

    No it was a serious question. We all know what registry cleaners are
    good for.

    BillW50, Jan 16, 2011
  12. mm

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:igvvhq$tkq$-september.org,
    BillW50 typed on Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:38:32 -0600:
    > In news:igvt56$sjh$,
    > olfart typed on Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:57:46 -0500:
    >> CCleaner INCLUDES a Registry Cleaner...which you don't have to
    >> use.....but also does alot more to clean up a system. Of course you
    >> already know this, but are just tolling to start another one of your
    >> soapbox "injuneer" rants. Why don't you just stick your head back up
    >> your *** and talk to yourself

    > No it was a serious question. We all know what registry cleaners are
    > good for.

    And while we are at it, I held you in deep regards. Although I think you
    pushed the relationship too far. I don't care much for people slandering
    others (even not including others besides myself) without any evidence
    at all. So let's hear it. And hearsay doesn't count! As any moron can
    generate hearsay.

    BillW50, Jan 16, 2011
  13. mm

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jan 16, 4:57 pm, "olfart" <> wrote:
    > "BillW50" <> wrote in message

    > > Innews:igv7gb$rvv$,
    > > olfart typed on Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:48:13 -0500:
    > >> "fxmulder" <> wrote in message

    > >> CCleaner is great...
    > >> any registry cleaner or "repair" programs are crap....can cause more
    > >> problems.... and should be avoided

    > > Really? As I see Crap Cleaner (aka CCleaner) is nothing more than another
    > > registry cleaner. Although it is one of the most respected ones in the
    > > business.

    > > --
    > > Bill
    > > Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    > CCleaner INCLUDES  a Registry Cleaner...which you don't have to use......but
    > also does alot more to clean up a system. Of course you already know this,
    > but are just tolling to start another one of your soapbox "injuneer" rants.
    > Why don't you just stick your head back up your *** and talk  to yourself

    Injuneers or people who think their opinion has more weight than
    someone else.
    http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8563/images1to.jpg
    Bob Villa, Jan 17, 2011
  14. mm

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Bob Villa typed on Sun, 16 Jan 2011 16:06:45 -0800 (PST):
    > Injuneers or people who think their opinion has more weight than
    > someone else.
    > http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8563/images1to.jpg

    No Bob! I don't think that way, but I guess you do. As I believe
    experience trumps everything else. As I have met lots of people who has
    no degrees that knows a great deal. Even sometimes more so than those
    that has degrees.

    Ben is a good example of this (AFAIK he has no engineering degree). And
    William Walsh (his education is also unknown to me), but he too knows a
    great deal. Same goes for Christopher Muto. All three I highly respect.

    But people like you Bob, who tells others who has a bad video chip to
    change the video cable and it does no good after you had sworn that it
    would. This is nothing but the lack of experience Bob. No degrees
    necessary.

    BillW50, Jan 17, 2011
  15. mm

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jan 16, 6:27 pm, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > Innews:,
    > Bob Villa typed on Sun, 16 Jan 2011 16:06:45 -0800 (PST):
    >
    > > Injuneers or people who think their opinion has more weight than
    > > someone else.
    > >http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8563/images1to.jpg

    > No Bob! I don't think that way, but I guess you do. As I believe
    > experience trumps everything else. As I have met lots of people who has
    > no degrees that knows a great deal. Even sometimes more so than those
    > that has degrees.
    >
    > Ben is a good example of this (AFAIK he has no engineering degree). And
    > William Walsh (his education is also unknown to me), but he too knows a
    > great deal. Same goes for Christopher Muto. All three I highly respect.
    >
    > But people like you Bob, who tells others who has a bad video chip to
    > change the video cable and it does no good after you had sworn that it
    > would. This is nothing but the lack of experience Bob. No degrees
    > necessary.
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    An educated person would have written: "I have met a lot of people who
    have no degree that know a great deal...and more so than those that
    have a degree". You are nothing but a lower "degree".
    Bob Villa, Jan 17, 2011
  16. mm

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Bob Villa typed on Sun, 16 Jan 2011 16:47:03 -0800 (PST):
    > An educated person would have written: "I have met a lot of people who
    > have no degree that know a great deal...and more so than those that
    > have a degree". You are nothing but a lower "degree".

    Interesting comment, not! Coming from somebody who can't even
    troubleshoot an easy video problem. So you are some sort of grammar
    expert, eh? Too bad you know so little about computers. As if you were,
    it could come in handy here. ;-)

    BillW50, Jan 17, 2011