Can I upgrade a Biostar M7MIA with 1.2mhz firebird?

Discussion in 'Biostar' started by Gordon Abbot, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. Gordon Abbot

    Gordon Abbot Guest

    I checked the Athlon website and it says I can only go to 1.4mhz max
    with the Biostar M7MIA 1.x board (Award BIOS). I currently have 1.2mhz
    AMD 761 rev 2 chipset.

    Is that true or can I use a higher rated cpu?

    If so, which ones are compatible?

    If not, can I overclock -how and how high?

    I would like to get the max mhz possible since I will be doing a lot of
    video editing and capture.

    Thanks for your help.

    GA
    --
    My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

    Gordon Abbot, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Gordon Abbot

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:30:09 -0500, Gordon Abbot wrote:

    > I checked the Athlon website and it says I can only go to 1.4mhz max
    > with the Biostar M7MIA 1.x board (Award BIOS). I currently have 1.2mhz
    > AMD 761 rev 2 chipset.
    >
    > Is that true or can I use a higher rated cpu?

    No, yes.

    > If so, which ones are compatible?

    All of them.

    > If not, can I overclock -how and how high?

    Multiplier x FSb = cpu speed.

    > I would like to get the max mhz possible since I will be doing a lot of
    > video editing and capture.

    The AMD 761 supports a 133MHz FSB. 24x133.34 = 3200MHz. That's the top
    speed you can get without overclocking the FSB. There are currently no AND
    Athlon cpu's that run over 2250MHz (unless overclocked). See link below.
    I'd probably suggest a 2400+ for your board.

    Wes Newell, Dec 19, 2003