Can I upgrade my processor... ?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Gizzo, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. Gizzo

    Gizzo Guest

    I have an Asus P4B motherboard. I just bought a BFG 6600 GT which is great.

    I have a 1.7 ghz P4 and 512 mb ram.

    What is the max processor I can have to replace the 1.7 ghz processor?

    Thanks
    Giz

    1. Advertising

  2. Spack

    Spack Guest

    Gizzo wrote on Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:03:37 -0400:

    > I have an Asus P4B motherboard. I just bought a BFG 6600 GT which is
    > great.
    >
    > I have a 1.7 ghz P4 and 512 mb ram.
    >
    > What is the max processor I can have to replace the 1.7 ghz processor?

    http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4B

    According to that, up to 2.4Ghz using a P4 Willametta/Northwood

    Dan

    1. Advertising

  3. Folk

    Folk Guest

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:41:41 +0100, "Spack" <>
    wrote:

    >Gizzo wrote on Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:03:37 -0400:
    >
    >> I have an Asus P4B motherboard. I just bought a BFG 6600 GT which is
    >> great.
    >>
    >> I have a 1.7 ghz P4 and 512 mb ram.
    >>
    >> What is the max processor I can have to replace the 1.7 ghz processor?

    >http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4B
    >
    >According to that, up to 2.4Ghz using a P4 Willametta/Northwood
    >
    >Dan

    That would be a pretty miserable upgrade.

    Since you just bought an AGP card, I would recommend you go with an
    AMD Socket 939 processor paired with an NForce 3 based board like the
    MSI K8N Neo2 which supports AGP vid cards. You can run the fastest
    AMD processor on the planet (except for dual core, which *may* be
    supported with a future bios update) and won't have to chuck your new
    AGP card. Intel's fastest processors (chipsets) do not support AGP
    cards.

    A 2.4 Intel will cost you $130. The K8N Neo2 is also $130 so that's a
    wash. A Venice core 3000+ is $150 and a 3200+ is $190. So you can
    spend $130 and upgrade to a 2.4 Intel which is not much of an upgrade,
    or you can spend $280 - $320 and get a *really* fast system with the
    possibility of going dual core down the road. If your vid card starts
    holding you back you could still drop in a 6800 GT or Ultra.

  4. dawg

    dawg Guest

    2.4 + overclocking.Might get 2.8 depending on quality of ram,mobo.

    "Folk" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:41:41 +0100, "Spack" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Gizzo wrote on Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:03:37 -0400:
    > >
    > >> I have an Asus P4B motherboard. I just bought a BFG 6600 GT which is
    > >> great.
    > >>
    > >> I have a 1.7 ghz P4 and 512 mb ram.
    > >>
    > >> What is the max processor I can have to replace the 1.7 ghz processor?

    > >http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4B
    > >
    > >According to that, up to 2.4Ghz using a P4 Willametta/Northwood
    > >
    > >Dan

    > That would be a pretty miserable upgrade.
    >
    > Since you just bought an AGP card, I would recommend you go with an
    > AMD Socket 939 processor paired with an NForce 3 based board like the
    > MSI K8N Neo2 which supports AGP vid cards. You can run the fastest
    > AMD processor on the planet (except for dual core, which *may* be
    > supported with a future bios update) and won't have to chuck your new
    > AGP card. Intel's fastest processors (chipsets) do not support AGP
    > cards.
    >
    > A 2.4 Intel will cost you $130. The K8N Neo2 is also $130 so that's a
    > wash. A Venice core 3000+ is $150 and a 3200+ is $190. So you can
    > spend $130 and upgrade to a 2.4 Intel which is not much of an upgrade,
    > or you can spend $280 - $320 and get a *really* fast system with the
    > possibility of going dual core down the road. If your vid card starts
    > holding you back you could still drop in a 6800 GT or Ultra.

  5. Bob Knowlden

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

    Search by motherboard, Socket 478, P4B.

    The fastest P4 listed is a 2.6 GHz "Northwood" CPU with a 400 MHz FSB (front
    side bus). It requires BIOS 1011 or later.

    That CPU may be hard to find new. (It's already old.) As the P4B uses
    PC100/PC133 SDRAM, you'd have to replace that as well if you went for a more
    up-to-date mainboard.

    You have stepped onto the "slippery slope" of upgrades. To answer a question
    that you haven't asked,

    http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG/article.php/3501646

    "April Value Gaming PC Buyer's Guide"

    At www.newegg.com, a retail Socket 754 Athlon 64 3000+ is $146 (free
    shipping), the Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro mainboard is $88 (+$3.50), and a single
    512 MB stick of Corsair Value Select PC3200 DDR is $40.50 (+$3.83). This
    adds up to a bit over $280, but it would give you a much more capable gaming
    system than anything you could achieve with your current P4B. I'd prefer
    Socket 939 and dual-channel memory, but that raises the price.

    I'm not an anti-Intel zealot, but the A64 systems are supposed to outperform
    similarly priced Intel systems in gaming. If you're running applications
    software, an Intel system might be better. As you bought a 6600GT, that
    suggests that you're interested in games.

    Have fun.