    The only program I have for controlling the sound card is the Creative
    surround mixer. I suspect there are more applications for this card that
    I don't have, to allow greater configuration.

    Glenn, Dec 6, 2004

  2. Glenn

    thing Guest

    Glenn wrote:
    > Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound blaster
    > audigy 2 card?
    >
    > There are 3 outputs for when using a 5.1 speaker system, but I just want
    > to have a pair of stereo speakers by the computer, and the same stereo
    > audio running to the TV.
    >
    > If I try and use any of the other speaker outputs there is nothing
    > there, all the audio only comes from speaker output no.1
    >
    > Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
    > tweaked to do this?
    >
    > The only program I have for controlling the sound card is the Creative
    > surround mixer. I suspect there are more applications for this card that
    > I don't have, to allow greater configuration.

    You have an OEM? sounds very short on software.

    If you dont have a tape unit and tape monitor/record outputs on the
    hi-fi then you could feed the TV from there.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Dec 6, 2004

  3. Glenn wrote:
    > Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound blaster
    > audigy 2 card?

    > Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
    > tweaked to do this?

    If it's software is in anyway similar to the Live, then you may be able
    to set it up for simulated 4 speaker surround or similar... which gives
    you stereo front and rear... however I've never noticed it actually
    work(front/rear wise).

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 6, 2004
  4. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    thing wrote:
    > Glenn wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound
    >> blaster audigy 2 card?
    >>
    >> There are 3 outputs for when using a 5.1 speaker system, but I just
    >> want to have a pair of stereo speakers by the computer, and the same
    >> stereo audio running to the TV.
    >>
    >> If I try and use any of the other speaker outputs there is nothing
    >> there, all the audio only comes from speaker output no.1
    >>
    >> Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
    >> tweaked to do this?
    >>
    >> The only program I have for controlling the sound card is the Creative
    >> surround mixer. I suspect there are more applications for this card
    >> that I don't have, to allow greater configuration.

    > You have an OEM? sounds very short on software.

    No I bought it as a creative product, just I misplaced the CD that came
    with the card. Doh!

    > If you dont have a tape unit and tape monitor/record outputs on the
    > hi-fi then you could feed the TV from there.

    Im running the no.1 speaker output into a pair of cheap computer
    speakers, rather than a hi-fi, so I can get an output feed.

    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    What I was doing previously was putting a stereo splitter cable on the
    no.1 speaker output on the sound card to create two outputs, but this
    cable has gone faulty. The TV is a high impedance input, so I figured it
    shouldn't load the no.1 speaker output too badly.

    I figured since I have 3 stereo outputs I might as well try and use them.

    Glenn

    Glenn, Dec 6, 2004
  5. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Glenn wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound
    >> blaster audigy 2 card?

    >> Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
    >> tweaked to do this?

    > If it's software is in anyway similar to the Live, then you may be able
    > to set it up for simulated 4 speaker surround or similar... which gives
    > you stereo front and rear... however I've never noticed it actually
    > work(front/rear wise).

    If I have simulated 4 speaker surround, will it have different signals
    going to the front and rear, to create the surround effect?

    Glenn, Dec 6, 2004
  6. Glenn wrote:
    >>> Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound
    >>> blaster audigy 2 card?
    >>> Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
    >>> tweaked to do this?

    >> If it's software is in anyway similar to the Live, then you may be
    >> able to set it up for simulated 4 speaker surround or similar... which
    >> gives you stereo front and rear... however I've never noticed it
    >> actually work(front/rear wise).

    > If I have simulated 4 speaker surround, will it have different signals
    > going to the front and rear, to create the surround effect?

    I assume that it is meant to, but it doesn't appear to.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 6, 2004
  7. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> If it's software is in anyway similar to the Live, then you may be
    >>> able to set it up for simulated 4 speaker surround or similar...
    >>> which gives you stereo front and rear... however I've never noticed
    >>> it actually work(front/rear wise).

    >> If I have simulated 4 speaker surround, will it have different signals
    >> going to the front and rear, to create the surround effect?

    > I assume that it is meant to, but it doesn't appear to.

    I see, that's what you meant by "however I've never noticed it actually
    work(front/rear wise)."

    That would be good option then. Do you know what the application was
    called that you could choose "simulated 4 speaker surround" with on the
    SB live?

    Glenn, Dec 6, 2004
  8. Glenn wrote:
    >>> If I have simulated 4 speaker surround, will it have different
    >>> signals going to the front and rear, to create the surround effect?

    >> I assume that it is meant to, but it doesn't appear to.

    > I see, that's what you meant by "however I've never noticed it actually
    > work(front/rear wise)."

    yep, thats what I meant.

    > That would be good option then. Do you know what the application was
    > called that you could choose "simulated 4 speaker surround" with on the
    > SB live?

    no sorry, I no longer use Windows on that machine, so no idea... I think
    it was simply in the speaker setup, as in control panel, sound and
    audio, and then speaker setup or similar.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 6, 2004
  9. Glenn

    Folk Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:24:13 +1300, Glenn <> wrote:

    >That would be good option then. Do you know what the application was
    >called that you could choose "simulated 4 speaker surround" with on the
    >SB live?

    Can't you get that by using the Windows Control Panel "Sounds and
    Multimedia" applet?

    Folk, Dec 7, 2004
  10. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    Folk wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:24:13 +1300, Glenn <> wrote:
    >

    >>That would be good option then. Do you know what the application was
    >>called that you could choose "simulated 4 speaker surround" with on the
    >>SB live?

    > Can't you get that by using the Windows Control Panel "Sounds and
    > Multimedia" applet?

    I couldn't see the option under windows XP. You can select the speaker
    type, such as desktop stereo speakers but nothing for a 4 speaker setup.

    I found that creative have an application called "Creative Speaker
    Settings" which I figured might help a lot. But unfortunately when I try
    and run it I get a message that no sound card detected, even the sound
    card is running fine with the creative driver installed.

    Searching google I found advice to disable my on-board sound card (it
    was already disabled in the bios) and disable Plug and play in the bios
    (it was enabled so I disabled it) I uninstalled the driver and installed
    the latest driver off the creative site, which didn't complain about not
    have a compatible sound card, and then tried installing Creative Speaker
    Settings, but once again had the same problem.

    I managed to track down the original SB Audigy CD, so I uninstalled the
    driver and tried using the CD, and again I got the no sound card
    detected message.

    Glenn, Dec 7, 2004
  11. Glenn

    T Shadow Guest

    "Glenn" <> wrote in message
    > Folk wrote:
    > > On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:24:13 +1300, Glenn <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>That would be good option then. Do you know what the application was
    > >>called that you could choose "simulated 4 speaker surround" with on the
    > >>SB live?

    > > Can't you get that by using the Windows Control Panel "Sounds and
    > > Multimedia" applet?

    > I couldn't see the option under windows XP. You can select the speaker
    > type, such as desktop stereo speakers but nothing for a 4 speaker setup.
    >
    > I found that creative have an application called "Creative Speaker
    > Settings" which I figured might help a lot. But unfortunately when I try
    > and run it I get a message that no sound card detected, even the sound
    > card is running fine with the creative driver installed.
    >
    > Searching google I found advice to disable my on-board sound card (it
    > was already disabled in the bios) and disable Plug and play in the bios
    > (it was enabled so I disabled it) I uninstalled the driver and installed
    > the latest driver off the creative site, which didn't complain about not
    > have a compatible sound card, and then tried installing Creative Speaker
    > Settings, but once again had the same problem.
    >
    > I managed to track down the original SB Audigy CD, so I uninstalled the
    > driver and tried using the CD, and again I got the no sound card
    > detected message.

    IIRC you have to do the install from the main CD setup. Installing just the
    drivers from the CD isn't enough.
    HTH

    T Shadow, Dec 7, 2004
  12. Folk wrote:
    >>That would be good option then. Do you know what the application was
    >>called that you could choose "simulated 4 speaker surround" with on the
    >>SB live?

    > Can't you get that by using the Windows Control Panel "Sounds and
    > Multimedia" applet?

    I think so, I only use windows at work, but have no sound in my work
    machine, so no idea.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 7, 2004
  13. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    T Shadow wrote:
    > "Glenn" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Folk wrote:

    >>>Can't you get that by using the Windows Control Panel "Sounds and
    >>>Multimedia" applet?

    >>I couldn't see the option under windows XP. You can select the speaker
    >>type, such as desktop stereo speakers but nothing for a 4 speaker setup.
    >>
    >>I found that creative have an application called "Creative Speaker
    >>Settings" which I figured might help a lot. But unfortunately when I try
    >>and run it I get a message that no sound card detected, even the sound
    >>card is running fine with the creative driver installed.
    >>
    >>Searching google I found advice to disable my on-board sound card (it
    >>was already disabled in the bios) and disable Plug and play in the bios
    >>(it was enabled so I disabled it) I uninstalled the driver and installed
    >>the latest driver off the creative site, which didn't complain about not
    >>have a compatible sound card, and then tried installing Creative Speaker
    >> Settings, but once again had the same problem.
    >>
    >>I managed to track down the original SB Audigy CD, so I uninstalled the
    >>driver and tried using the CD, and again I got the no sound card
    >>detected message.

    > IIRC you have to do the install from the main CD setup. Installing just the
    > drivers from the CD isn't enough.
    > HTH

    I couldn't get into the main CD setup, as before I can get to the main
    CD setup it complains "no sound card detected". It gives this complaint
    if the (web) driver is installed, or if there is no driver installed.

    I tried to 'explore' the CD to find just the driver, but didn't have any
    luck.

    Glenn, Dec 7, 2004
  14. Glenn wrote:
    > T Shadow wrote:
    >
    >> "Glenn" <> wrote in message

    >>> I couldn't see the option under windows XP. You can select the speaker
    >>> type, such as desktop stereo speakers but nothing for a 4 speaker setup.
    >>>
    >>> I found that creative have an application called "Creative Speaker
    >>> Settings" which I figured might help a lot. But unfortunately when I try
    >>> and run it I get a message that no sound card detected, even the sound
    >>> card is running fine with the creative driver installed.
    >>>
    >>> Searching google I found advice to disable my on-board sound card (it
    >>> was already disabled in the bios) and disable Plug and play in the bios
    >>> (it was enabled so I disabled it) I uninstalled the driver and installed
    >>> the latest driver off the creative site, which didn't complain about not
    >>> have a compatible sound card, and then tried installing Creative Speaker
    >>> Settings, but once again had the same problem.
    >>>
    >>> I managed to track down the original SB Audigy CD, so I uninstalled the
    >>> driver and tried using the CD, and again I got the no sound card
    >>> detected message.

    >> IIRC you have to do the install from the main CD setup. Installing
    >> just the
    >> drivers from the CD isn't enough.
    >> HTH
    >>

    > I couldn't get into the main CD setup, as before I can get to the main
    > CD setup it complains "no sound card detected". It gives this complaint
    > if the (web) driver is installed, or if there is no driver installed.
    >
    > I tried to 'explore' the CD to find just the driver, but didn't have any
    > luck.

    You could uninstall the Windows drivers and on rebooting, when the
    machine asks you whether to auto-install a driver, select no and then
    manually install the driver. The Windows built-in driver when installed
    I think causes the Creative setup to not install.

    Sharanga Dayananda, Dec 7, 2004
  15. Glenn wrote:

    > Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound blaster
    > audigy 2 card?
    >
    > There are 3 outputs for when using a 5.1 speaker system, but I just want
    > to have a pair of stereo speakers by the computer, and the same stereo
    > audio running to the TV.
    >
    > If I try and use any of the other speaker outputs there is nothing
    > there, all the audio only comes from speaker output no.1
    >
    > Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
    > tweaked to do this?
    >
    > The only program I have for controlling the sound card is the Creative
    > surround mixer. I suspect there are more applications for this card that
    > I don't have, to allow greater configuration.

    Yes. Simply set the speaker configuration to 4 speaker and then select
    the CMSS mode with stereo x2 surround.

    Sharanga Dayananda, Dec 7, 2004
  16. Glenn

    triXeo Guest

    "Glenn" <> wrote in message
    >T Shadow wrote:
    >> "Glenn" <> wrote in message

    >>>I couldn't see the option under windows XP. You can select the speaker
    >>>type, such as desktop stereo speakers but nothing for a 4 speaker setup.
    >>>
    >>>I found that creative have an application called "Creative Speaker
    >>>Settings" which I figured might help a lot. But unfortunately when I try
    >>>and run it I get a message that no sound card detected, even the sound
    >>>card is running fine with the creative driver installed.
    >>>
    >>>Searching google I found advice to disable my on-board sound card (it
    >>>was already disabled in the bios) and disable Plug and play in the bios
    >>>(it was enabled so I disabled it) I uninstalled the driver and installed
    >>>the latest driver off the creative site, which didn't complain about not
    >>>have a compatible sound card, and then tried installing Creative Speaker
    >>> Settings, but once again had the same problem.
    >>>
    >>>I managed to track down the original SB Audigy CD, so I uninstalled the
    >>>driver and tried using the CD, and again I got the no sound card
    >>>detected message.

    >> IIRC you have to do the install from the main CD setup. Installing just
    >> the
    >> drivers from the CD isn't enough.
    >> HTH
    >>

    > I couldn't get into the main CD setup, as before I can get to the main CD
    > setup it complains "no sound card detected". It gives this complaint if
    > the (web) driver is installed, or if there is no driver installed.
    >
    > I tried to 'explore' the CD to find just the driver, but didn't have any
    > luck.

    Remove the drivers for your soundcard completely;
    - Use Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel if you've installed with
    the setup program.
    - Then go "Control Panel"/"System"/"Hardware" tab/"Device Manager" - Select
    the option to "Show hidden devices" in the "View" menu.
    - Expand the "Sound, video and game controllers".
    - Right-click and choose "Uninstall" the "Creative Game Port" and the
    "Creative SB Audigy..." Do NOT reboot.
    - Now expand the "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" and uninstall "PfDetNT" (or
    similar called pfmod or/and pfmodnt -- uninstall them all) Do NOT reboot
    untill all of them have been uninstalled.
    (- *)
    - Now reboot.
    - Cancell the automatic installation of drivers.
    - Install by running the CD.

    * = You might have to do it even more thorough by removing all the Creative
    oem*.inf files in C:\Windows\inf\ before the reboot step. Open each of them
    and if they contain "Creative Technology Ltd." - delete them and the
    corresponding *.pnf

    Hope this helps.

    As to the original question in this thread I think there might be an option,
    but that involves using 3rd party drivers instead of the drivers from
    Creative. They can be found here:
    http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?language=en

    Cheers

    triXeo, Dec 7, 2004
  17. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
    > Glenn wrote:
    >
    >> T Shadow wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Glenn" <> wrote in message

    >>> IIRC you have to do the install from the main CD setup. Installing
    >>> just the
    >>> drivers from the CD isn't enough.
    >>> HTH
    >>>

    >> I couldn't get into the main CD setup, as before I can get to the main
    >> CD setup it complains "no sound card detected". It gives this
    >> complaint if the (web) driver is installed, or if there is no driver
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> I tried to 'explore' the CD to find just the driver, but didn't have
    >> any luck.

    > You could uninstall the Windows drivers and on rebooting, when the
    > machine asks you whether to auto-install a driver, select no and then
    > manually install the driver. The Windows built-in driver when installed
    > I think causes the Creative setup to not install.

    I don't think I have the windows driver loaded. I uninstalled the
    creative driver and rebooted, and there was no sound and the windows new
    hardware installation asked me to install a new driver for the sound
    card. (so no windows driver?)

    I cancelled the windows new hardware installation and tried to run the
    creative CD. It complained about sound card not detected.

    One possibility is that my on-board sound is confusing the Creative
    applications, but it is disabled in the bios. I ASSume it isn't working
    in windows, but I don't have any speakers plugged into the on-board
    sound. Do I need to disable it from within Windows XP as well?

    Glenn, Dec 7, 2004
  18. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    <snip>

    > Remove the drivers for your soundcard completely;
    > - Use Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel if you've installed with
    > the setup program.
    > - Then go "Control Panel"/"System"/"Hardware" tab/"Device Manager" - Select
    > the option to "Show hidden devices" in the "View" menu.
    > - Expand the "Sound, video and game controllers".
    > - Right-click and choose "Uninstall" the "Creative Game Port" and the
    > "Creative SB Audigy..." Do NOT reboot.
    > - Now expand the "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" and uninstall "PfDetNT" (or
    > similar called pfmod or/and pfmodnt -- uninstall them all) Do NOT reboot
    > untill all of them have been uninstalled.
    > (- *)
    > - Now reboot.
    > - Cancell the automatic installation of drivers.
    > - Install by running the CD.
    >
    > * = You might have to do it even more thorough by removing all the Creative
    > oem*.inf files in C:\Windows\inf\ before the reboot step. Open each of them
    > and if they contain "Creative Technology Ltd." - delete them and the
    > corresponding *.pnf
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    Thanks for the info, I will give it a try when I get home from work.

    > As to the original question in this thread I think there might be an option,
    > but that involves using 3rd party drivers instead of the drivers from
    > Creative. They can be found here:
    > http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?language=en

    If the 3rd party driver works then I can abandon the hassle of trying to
    get the creative applications to detect the card. I'll try this option
    first.

    Glenn, Dec 7, 2004
  19. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    Sharanga Dayananda wrote:
    > Glenn wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound
    >> blaster audigy 2 card?
    >>
    >> There are 3 outputs for when using a 5.1 speaker system, but I just
    >> want to have a pair of stereo speakers by the computer, and the same
    >> stereo audio running to the TV.
    >>
    >> If I try and use any of the other speaker outputs there is nothing
    >> there, all the audio only comes from speaker output no.1
    >>
    >> Is there a configuration program or a setting somewhere that can be
    >> tweaked to do this?
    >>
    >> The only program I have for controlling the sound card is the Creative
    >> surround mixer. I suspect there are more applications for this card
    >> that I don't have, to allow greater configuration.

    > Yes. Simply set the speaker configuration to 4 speaker and then select
    > the CMSS mode with stereo x2 surround.

    Where do I find this option?

    Glenn, Dec 7, 2004
  20. Suddenly, Glenn sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Is it possible to have to identical stereo outputs on the sound blaster
    > audigy 2 card?

    Yes. Run the "EAX" console (the oval shaped button at the bottom of the
    apps). Click on the "CMSS 3d" tab. Click on "Enabler CMSS 3D". Click on
    "Stereo Sound" at the bottom.

    I like the functions in these apps but the configuration is a bit
    absurd. Like running the "normal" speaker config, it overwrites the THX
    configuration you have... GRRR

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and