Can these possibly work ?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Eric Parker, Oct 27, 2011.

  1. Eric Parker

    Eric Parker Guest

    Although not specifically Dell related.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/110757458567
    These devices claim to convert from DVI-D to VGA.
    Looking at the connector, pins C1, C2, C3, C4 are missing.
    So if I understand DVI & VGA correctly this device would have to have D2A
    converters in it.

    Any thoughts ?

    Eric

    1. Advertising

  2. dg1261

    dg1261 Guest

    I've tried them and they seem to work okay, but I haven't done any
    qualitative testing.

    Many video card manufacturers toss one of these in the box when you buy a
    video card with DVI output, so they must be satisfactory enough for the
    manufacturers.

    1. Advertising

  3. On 10/27/2011 12:59 PM, Eric Parker wrote:
    > Although not specifically Dell related.
    >
    > http://www.ebay.com/itm/110757458567
    > These devices claim to convert from DVI-D to VGA.
    > Looking at the connector, pins C1, C2, C3, C4 are missing.
    > So if I understand DVI& VGA correctly this device would have to have D2A
    > converters in it.
    >
    > Any thoughts ?
    >
    > Eric

    there are 24+1 connectors that are also called dvi-d (digital only) and
    ones that are 24+5 that are called dvi-i (integrated, digital and
    analog). and there are dvi 24+1 and dvi 24+5 to vga adapters. weather
    or not it will work for you depends on the video card. like you noted,
    without the c1, c2, c3, c4 there is not analog signal. but even with
    them on the connector on the video card is no guarantee that the card is
    actually putting out a signal on those pins.
    having said that, i used the 24+5 adapters on dell supplied ati radeon
    x300se video cards for dual analog monitors on scores of systems (the
    card had one vga and one dvi-i and the adapter was put on the dvi-i for
    dual vga monitors).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

  4. Eric Parker

    Eric Parker Guest

    "dg1261" <> wrote in message
    > I've tried them and they seem to work okay, but I haven't done any
    > qualitative testing.
    >
    > Many video card manufacturers toss one of these in the box when you buy a
    > video card with DVI output, so they must be satisfactory enough for the
    > manufacturers.

    Thanks for the response.

    I think you missed the point I was trying to make.
    The adapter does not have the pins to pick up the analog signal from the
    graphics card but claims to drive VGA.
    So the only way I can see this working is if there is digital to analog
    hardware in the adapter.

    Eric

  5. Eric Parker

    Eric Parker Guest

    "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
    > On 10/27/2011 12:59 PM, Eric Parker wrote:
    >> Although not specifically Dell related.
    >>
    >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/110757458567
    >> These devices claim to convert from DVI-D to VGA.
    >> Looking at the connector, pins C1, C2, C3, C4 are missing.
    >> So if I understand DVI& VGA correctly this device would have to have D2A
    >> converters in it.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts ?
    >>
    >> Eric
    >>

    > there are 24+1 connectors that are also called dvi-d (digital only) and
    > ones that are 24+5 that are called dvi-i (integrated, digital and analog).
    > and there are dvi 24+1 and dvi 24+5 to vga adapters. weather or not it
    > will work for you depends on the video card. like you noted, without the
    > c1, c2, c3, c4 there is not analog signal. but even with them on the
    > connector on the video card is no guarantee that the card is actually
    > putting out a signal on those pins.
    > having said that, i used the 24+5 adapters on dell supplied ati radeon
    > x300se video cards for dual analog monitors on scores of systems (the card
    > had one vga and one dvi-i and the adapter was put on the dvi-i for dual
    > vga monitors).
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

    Thanks for that Christopher.
    Yes, I've a couple of DVI-I to VGA adapters but DVI-D to VGA just seems so
    unlikely.

    Eric