Can you tell me what unknown device Windows XP has found? ISA PnPsoundblaster 16

Discussion in 'Soundcards' started by Drydem, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. Drydem

    Drydem Guest

    After installing Windows XP on an computer system the Device
    Manager found an unknown device on the Intel 83271AB/EB PCI
    to ISA bridge (ISA mode). The system uses an Abit BX6r2 mother
    board and has only 2 ISA slots. The only ISA slot being used
    has a Creative Labs/Vibra CT2940 PnP ISA soundblaster 16
    card installed. During installation, Windows XP correctly
    installed the soundblaster 16 audio and midi driver. Windows
    XP also seems to have found the CT2940 IDE controller
    ( setting it without any i/o conflicts using ports 0168-016f
    and 013E-013f, IRQ 10 ). Windows media Player appears to play
    wma and mid files correctly. The system also passed the
    DirectX8 music and sound tests. The Creative Labs website
    says that Windows XP comes prepackaged with all the
    device drivers for the Soundblaster 16(CT2940). I also
    have two PCI cards installed (a Realtek fastethernet NIC
    and a US Robotics 56k internal modem) plus a S3 AGP video
    card. I am at a lost as to what kind of unknown device
    Windows XP thinks it has found on the ISA bus. If I
    delete this unknown device from the device manager
    Windows XP will find it again when it reboots.
    Can you tell me what Windows XP has found is?

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    Drydem, Oct 5, 2003

  2. Drydem

    allswat Guest

    Re: Can you tell me what unknown device Windows XP has found? ISAPnPsoundblaster 16

    Drydem wrote:
    > After installing Windows XP on an computer system the Device
    > Manager found an unknown device on the Intel 83271AB/EB PCI
    > to ISA bridge (ISA mode). The system uses an Abit BX6r2 mother
    > board and has only 2 ISA slots. The only ISA slot being used
    > has a Creative Labs/Vibra CT2940 PnP ISA soundblaster 16
    > card installed. During installation, Windows XP correctly
    > installed the soundblaster 16 audio and midi driver. Windows
    > XP also seems to have found the CT2940 IDE controller
    > ( setting it without any i/o conflicts using ports 0168-016f
    > and 013E-013f, IRQ 10 ). Windows media Player appears to play
    > wma and mid files correctly. The system also passed the
    > DirectX8 music and sound tests. The Creative Labs website
    > says that Windows XP comes prepackaged with all the
    > device drivers for the Soundblaster 16(CT2940). I also
    > have two PCI cards installed (a Realtek fastethernet NIC
    > and a US Robotics 56k internal modem) plus a S3 AGP video
    > card. I am at a lost as to what kind of unknown device
    > Windows XP thinks it has found on the ISA bus. If I
    > delete this unknown device from the device manager
    > Windows XP will find it again when it reboots.
    > Can you tell me what Windows XP has found is?
    >
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

    Windows 98 detected three separate devices associated with
    my SB AWE64 card:

    Creative AWE64 16-bit Audio
    Creative AWE64 Wavetable MIDI
    Creative Gameport Joystick

    I think the ISA SB 16 had something called Creative Wave/Synth
    that it used instead of the AWE64 Wavetable MIDI. And it also
    listed the joystick port separately. You say you've installed
    the sound and midi driver. Could it be the "Gameport Joystick"
    driver that is missing?
    allswat, Oct 5, 2003

  3. Greetings --

    Does that sound card have a port for connecting a joystick or
    other game controller? That could be what WinXP is detecting?

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Oct 5, 2003
  4. Drydem

    Tod Guest

    I would download and install the latest drivers from Creative Labs.

    Tod, Oct 6, 2003
  5. Drydem

    Drydem Guest

    allswat <> wrote in message news:<XVOfb.29288$>...
    > Drydem wrote:
    > > After installing Windows XP on an computer system the Device
    > > Manager found an unknown device on the Intel 83271AB/EB PCI
    > > to ISA bridge (ISA mode). The system uses an Abit BX6r2 mother
    > > board and has only 2 ISA slots. The only ISA slot being used
    > > has a Creative Labs/Vibra CT2940 PnP ISA soundblaster 16
    > > card installed. During installation, Windows XP correctly
    > > installed the soundblaster 16 audio and midi driver. Windows
    > > XP also seems to have found the CT2940 IDE controller
    > > ( setting it without any i/o conflicts using ports 0168-016f
    > > and 013E-013f, IRQ 10 ). Windows media Player appears to play
    > > wma and mid files correctly. The system also passed the
    > > DirectX8 music and sound tests. The Creative Labs website
    > > says that Windows XP comes prepackaged with all the
    > > device drivers for the Soundblaster 16(CT2940). I also
    > > have two PCI cards installed (a Realtek fastethernet NIC
    > > and a US Robotics 56k internal modem) plus a S3 AGP video
    > > card. I am at a lost as to what kind of unknown device
    > > Windows XP thinks it has found on the ISA bus. If I
    > > delete this unknown device from the device manager
    > > Windows XP will find it again when it reboots.
    > > Can you tell me what Windows XP has found is?
    > >
    > > microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev
    > > microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

    > Windows 98 detected three separate devices associated with
    > my SB AWE64 card:
    >
    > Creative AWE64 16-bit Audio
    > Creative AWE64 Wavetable MIDI
    > Creative Gameport Joystick
    >
    > I think the ISA SB 16 had something called Creative Wave/Synth
    > that it used instead of the AWE64 Wavetable MIDI. And it also
    > listed the joystick port separately. You say you've installed
    > the sound and midi driver. Could it be the "Gameport Joystick"
    > driver that is missing?

    no.
    Windows XP Pro detected the following devices
    on this legacy the SB16 Pnp card. The device
    manager found no conflict with the following
    devices.

    1. Creative Sound Blaster 16 PNP (WDM)=
    +Audio Device = SB16 pnp
    +Midi device and instruments = WDM device
    irq7,dma3,dma6,ports 0280-028f,0330-0331,0388-08B
    2. GamePort for Creative
    ports 0200-0207
    3. Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller
    irq10, ports 0168-016F, 036E-036F
    Drydem, Oct 7, 2003
  6. Drydem

    Drydem Guest

    Windows XP Pro successfully detected the following devices
    which belong to this SB16 Pnp card.

    Drydem, Oct 7, 2003
  7. Drydem

    Ross Ridge Guest

    Drydem <> wrote:
    >After installing Windows XP on an computer system the Device
    >Manager found an unknown device on the Intel 83271AB/EB PCI
    >to ISA bridge (ISA mode). The system uses an Abit BX6r2 mother
    >board and has only 2 ISA slots. The only ISA slot being used
    >has a Creative Labs/Vibra CT2940 PnP ISA soundblaster 16
    >card installed. ... I am at a lost as to what kind of unknown
    >device Windows XP thinks it has found on the ISA bus. If I
    >delete this unknown device from the device manager
    >Windows XP will find it again when it reboots.
    >Can you tell me what Windows XP has found is?

    Try following the advice in the following Microsoft KB article:

    http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q304/5/14.asp

    See if doing that gives you more information about the device, in
    particular if it gives an id like "*PNP1234" or "*CTL4321".

    Ross Ridge

    --
    l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
    [oo][oo]
    Ross Ridge, Oct 7, 2003
  8. Drydem

    Drydem Guest

    (Ross Ridge) wrote in message news:<blttfo$2ck$>...
    > Drydem <> wrote:
    > >After installing Windows XP on an computer system the Device
    > >Manager found an unknown device on the Intel 83271AB/EB PCI
    > >to ISA bridge (ISA mode). The system uses an Abit BX6r2 mother
    > >board and has only 2 ISA slots. The only ISA slot being used
    > >has a Creative Labs/Vibra CT2940 PnP ISA soundblaster 16
    > >card installed. ... I am at a lost as to what kind of unknown
    > >device Windows XP thinks it has found on the ISA bus. If I
    > >delete this unknown device from the device manager
    > >Windows XP will find it again when it reboots.
    > >Can you tell me what Windows XP has found is?

    > Try following the advice in the following Microsoft KB article:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q304/5/14.asp
    >
    > See if doing that gives you more information about the device, in
    > particular if it gives an id like "*PNP1234" or "*CTL4321".
    >
    > Ross Ridge

    Selecting DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS=1 does generate a details folder
    which tells me this about the unknown device

    Device Instance Id = ISAPNP\CTL0024_DEV0002\10035127
    Hardware id = ISAPNP\CTL0024_DEV0002*PNPffff
    Matching Device id = *pnpffff
    enumerator = ISAPNP
    capabilities = CM_DEVCAP_UNIQUEID
    devnode flags = DN_Disable
    DN_NT_enumerator
    DN_NT_DRIVER
    current Power state = D3
    Power Capabilities = PDCAP_D0_SUPPORTED
    PDCAP_D3_SUPPORTED
    Power State Mapping = S0 -> D0
    S1 -> D3
    S2 -> D3
    S3 -> D3
    S4 -> D4
    S5 -> D5

    The rest of the fields in the detail folder are blank.
    Is this of any help? %|

    I forgot to mention that this computer previously had
    a ISA PNP AWE64 value card in the same slot that the
    current ISA PNP SB16 card is in now. The AWE64 was
    picking up spurious noise and was replaced by the
    SB16. After the said SB16 was installed, Windows XP had
    to be reinstalled with the current SB16 due to a
    problem with the Windows XP ability to talk to the
    IDE HD controllers. I've just did a Windows Update.
    I've installed all the security patches - And I've
    done quite a few updates/fixes too.
    Drydem, Oct 8, 2003
  9. Drydem

    Ross Ridge Guest

    Drydem <> wrote:
    > Hardware id = ISAPNP\CTL0024_DEV0002*PNPffff

    Breaking this down:

    ISAPNP: it's an ISA PnP device
    CTL0024: it's an SB16
    DEV0002: it's the third function of the SB16
    *PNPffff: it's compatable with the "Reserved" device

    Basically, your SB16 is telling Windows XP that it's a multi-function
    device and one of those functions is compatable with the hardware that
    corresponds to PNPffff "Reserved" device id, and so should the same
    driver it would use with the compatible hardware. However, the PNPffff
    device id is reserved by Microsoft, has no meaning, and there's no kind
    of hardware that corresponds to it. So not suprisingly Windows XP isn't
    able to find a suitable driver for it.

    In other words, this unknown device is your SB16. It shows up because of
    something dumb Creative did, and is both completely useless and harmless.
    You can just ignore it.

    Ross Ridge

    Ross Ridge, Oct 9, 2003
  10. Drydem