Can't enable Direct3D acceleration.

Discussion in 'ATI' started by JMI, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. JMI

    JMI Guest

    Hello,

    I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what happened
    but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run Unreal
    Tournament 2004 I get the message:

    "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting dxdiag
    and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after installing
    DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."

    None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to the
    Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
    Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
    unavailable.

    I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 video
    card.

    I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too. I've also
    noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since everything takes
    much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.

    Ideas?

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    1. Advertising

  2. Bill

    Bill Guest

    In article <dc8u1s$9et2$>,
    says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what happened
    > but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run Unreal
    > Tournament 2004 I get the message:
    >
    > "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting dxdiag
    > and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after installing
    > DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."
    >
    > None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to the
    > Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
    > Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
    > unavailable.
    >
    > I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 video
    > card.
    >
    > I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too. I've also
    > noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since everything takes
    > much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.
    >
    > Ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    Do you have the agp driver for whatever chipset your MB is running
    installed? It would help if you gave more information about your
    hardware setup.

    Bill

    1. Advertising

  3. JMI

    JMI Guest

    Here are my system specs:

    2.8 Ghz Dell Dimension 4500
    1 Gig of RAM
    1 36Gig Western Digtial Raptor 10,000 RPM drive
    1 250Gig Maxtor 7200RPM w/16mb cache
    1 8x Sony DVD-RW
    1 Lite-On 52X CD-RW
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    256MB Sapphire 9600XT

    I've got the latest motherboard chipset installed. I've had this card for
    over a year and I've never had this happen. I'm not using "the latest" ATI
    drivers since ATI recommends having Service Pack 2 installed (which I do
    not).

    I don't understand why all of a sudden I would loose 3D acceleration
    capability when its worked fine without having to do anything special for
    well over a year.

    Ideas?

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > In article <dc8u1s$9et2$>,
    > says...
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what

    happened
    > > but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run

    Unreal
    > > Tournament 2004 I get the message:
    > >
    > > "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting

    dxdiag
    > > and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after

    installing
    > > DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."
    > >
    > > None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to

    the
    > > Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
    > > Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
    > > unavailable.
    > >
    > > I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 video
    > > card.
    > >
    > > I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too. I've also
    > > noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since everything takes
    > > much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.
    > >
    > > Ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jeff
    > >

    > Do you have the agp driver for whatever chipset your MB is running
    > installed? It would help if you gave more information about your
    > hardware setup.
    >
    > Bill

  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    In article <dc95eo$9jdr$>,
    says...

    > "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <dc8u1s$9et2$>,
    > > says...
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what

    > happened
    > > > but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run

    > Unreal
    > > > Tournament 2004 I get the message:
    > > >
    > > > "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting

    > dxdiag
    > > > and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after

    > installing
    > > > DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."
    > > >
    > > > None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to

    > the
    > > > Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
    > > > Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
    > > > unavailable.
    > > >
    > > > I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 video
    > > > card.
    > > >
    > > > I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too. I've also
    > > > noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since everything takes
    > > > much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.
    > > >
    > > > Ideas?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Jeff
    > > >

    > > Do you have the agp driver for whatever chipset your MB is running
    > > installed? It would help if you gave more information about your
    > > hardware setup.
    > >
    > > Bill

    Top posting fixed.

    > Here are my system specs:
    >
    > 2.8 Ghz Dell Dimension 4500
    > 1 Gig of RAM
    > 1 36Gig Western Digtial Raptor 10,000 RPM drive
    > 1 250Gig Maxtor 7200RPM w/16mb cache
    > 1 8x Sony DVD-RW
    > 1 Lite-On 52X CD-RW
    > Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    > 256MB Sapphire 9600XT
    >
    > I've got the latest motherboard chipset installed. I've had this card for
    > over a year and I've never had this happen. I'm not using "the latest" ATI
    > drivers since ATI recommends having Service Pack 2 installed (which I do
    > not).
    >
    > I don't understand why all of a sudden I would loose 3D acceleration
    > capability when its worked fine without having to do anything special for
    > well over a year.
    >
    > Ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    If I understand you correctly, you had 3d acceleration on your system
    then lost it and it won't re-install.

    Do you know what motherboard is used in your system?
    Manufacturer/model?

    What was the last software/hardware that you installed before your
    systems 3D crapped out?

    Have you tried doing a system restore to a known good previous
    configuration?

    Other problems that come to mind: corrupted files, virus,
    adware/spyware/malware.

    De-install the drivers/software before re-installing them.
    Do this as Administrator.

    Run Ad-Aware, < http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/Spybot >
    Search and Destroy
    < http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html >, and a virus
    checker with current virus definitions. Avast and AVG are free for
    personal use < AVG http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 >
    < Avast http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html >.

    Why have you not installed WinXP Service pack 2?

    Please don't top post. It makes it hard for people to follow the flow
    of the post when they are looking for answers in a Google search of
    Usenet.

    Bill

  5. LM

    LM Guest

    Hi. This maybe a bit far fetched, but what about your system cache
    settings. (swap file)
    I once got this kind of problem when I increasead system cache to 2G.
    Ati writes about problems with large memory in some display driver
    readme's, maybe this is it.

    Now my system cache is about 1533M

    My machine:
    Xp pro sp2
    Ati club 9800 pro 128
    1G ram
    3 hard drives

    LM

  6. First of One

    First of One Guest

    I get this problem whenever I update my Catalyst drivers, but it goes away
    after two reboots.

    Go to Start -> Run and type "services.msc". Make sure the process ATISmart
    is set to "automatic"

    "JMI" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what happened
    > but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run Unreal
    > Tournament 2004 I get the message:
    >
    > "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting dxdiag
    > and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after installing
    > DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."
    >
    > None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to the
    > Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
    > Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
    > unavailable.
    >
    > I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 video
    > card.
    >
    > I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too. I've also
    > noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since everything takes
    > much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.
    >
    > Ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

  7. Shawk

    Shawk Guest

    "JMI" <> wrote in message

    > I've got the latest motherboard chipset installed.

    Have you reinstalled them recently? Particularly the AGP chipset ones? If
    not do that and report back. Also reinstall DirectX

  8. Shawk

    Shawk Guest

    "galrumbak" <> wrote in message
    > "" wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know
    > > what happened
    > > but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try
    > > to run Unreal
    > > Tournament 2004 I get the message:
    > >
    > > "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by
    > > starting dxdiag
    > > and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after
    > > installing
    > > DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you
    > > graphics card."
    > >
    > > None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag
    > > and go to the
    > > Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says
    > > "Not
    > > Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration.
    > > All are
    > > unavailable.
    > >
    > > I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256
    > > video
    > > card.
    > >
    > > I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too.
    > > I've also
    > > noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since
    > > everything takes
    > > much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.
    > >
    > > Ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jeff

    > JMI
    >
    > I have the same problem - all the accleration in dxdiag are N/A
    > more over we have the exact same card - sapphire reddon 9600 xt 256mb,
    >
    > well if you did manege to fix this please contact me - I have been
    > fighting this for a mounth with no sucess.
    >
    > Gal
    >
    > galrumbak RemoveThis @yahoo.com

    This normally means you have to re-install your mobo drivers...

  9. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    Miraculously, all I did was reinstall the video drivers one more time and
    that seems to have fixed it except I think there is a problem with 2D
    acceleration. I have no problem playing games like Unreal Tournament 2004
    and getting 60+ frames per second, but I've notice that anytime I drag a
    window (any window) around the screen my CPU usage spikes. So I think it's
    only sorta fix.......(?)

    Jeff

    "galrumbak" <> wrote in message
    > "" wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know
    > > what happened
    > > but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try
    > > to run Unreal
    > > Tournament 2004 I get the message:
    > >
    > > "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by
    > > starting dxdiag
    > > and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after
    > > installing
    > > DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you
    > > graphics card."
    > >
    > > None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag
    > > and go to the
    > > Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says
    > > "Not
    > > Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration.
    > > All are
    > > unavailable.
    > >
    > > I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256
    > > video
    > > card.
    > >
    > > I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too.
    > > I've also
    > > noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since
    > > everything takes
    > > much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.
    > >
    > > Ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jeff

    > JMI
    >
    > I have the same problem - all the accleration in dxdiag are N/A
    > more over we have the exact same card - sapphire reddon 9600 xt 256mb,
    >
    > well if you did manege to fix this please contact me - I have been
    > fighting this for a mounth with no sucess.
    >
    > Gal
    >
    > galrumbak RemoveThis @yahoo.com
    >
    > --

    request
    > Topic URL:

    http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-enable-Direct3D-acceleron-ftopict59591.html

    http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=316845

  10. patrickp

    patrickp Guest

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:17:44 -0400, "Jeff Ingram" <>
    wrote:

    >Miraculously, all I did was reinstall the video drivers one more time and
    >that seems to have fixed it except I think there is a problem with 2D
    >acceleration. I have no problem playing games like Unreal Tournament 2004
    >and getting 60+ frames per second, but I've notice that anytime I drag a
    >window (any window) around the screen my CPU usage spikes. So I think it's
    >only sorta fix.......(?)
    >
    >Jeff

    <snjp>

    Sounds like you need to go to Display Properties -> Effects and
    deselect Show window contents while dragging, Jeff.

    Patrick

    <> - take five to email me...

  11. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    Thanks, I figured that out, but should I really have to do that? Is that
    normal? Does your CPU peak when you drag stuff around the desktop?

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    "patrickp" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:17:44 -0400, "Jeff Ingram" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Miraculously, all I did was reinstall the video drivers one more time and
    > >that seems to have fixed it except I think there is a problem with 2D
    > >acceleration. I have no problem playing games like Unreal Tournament

    2004
    > >and getting 60+ frames per second, but I've notice that anytime I drag a
    > >window (any window) around the screen my CPU usage spikes. So I think

    it's
    > >only sorta fix.......(?)
    > >
    > >Jeff
    > >

    > <snjp>
    >
    > Sounds like you need to go to Display Properties -> Effects and
    > deselect Show window contents while dragging, Jeff.
    >
    > Patrick
    >
    > <> - take five to email me...

  12. patrickp

    patrickp Guest

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:03:24 -0400, "Jeff Ingram" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks, I figured that out, but should I really have to do that? Is that
    >normal? Does your CPU peak when you drag stuff around the desktop?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Jeff

    Just say Windows, Jeff. Not only is there so much rubbish in it, but
    too much of it is enabled by default. Deselecting Show window
    contents while dragging is one of the first things I disable after a
    new install.

    Patrick

    >"patrickp" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:17:44 -0400, "Jeff Ingram" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Miraculously, all I did was reinstall the video drivers one more time and
    >> >that seems to have fixed it except I think there is a problem with 2D
    >> >acceleration. I have no problem playing games like Unreal Tournament

    >2004
    >> >and getting 60+ frames per second, but I've notice that anytime I drag a
    >> >window (any window) around the screen my CPU usage spikes. So I think

    >it's
    >> >only sorta fix.......(?)
    >> >
    >> >Jeff
    >> >

    >> <snjp>
    >>
    >> Sounds like you need to go to Display Properties -> Effects and
    >> deselect Show window contents while dragging, Jeff.
    >>
    >> Patrick
    >>
    >> <> - take five to email me...

    <> - take five to email me...

  13. patrickp

    patrickp Guest

    On 11 Oct 2005 15:38:20 -0400, galrumbak
    <> wrote:

    >"" wrote:
    > > On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:17:44 -0400, "Jeff Ingram"
    > > <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Miraculously, all I did was reinstall the video drivers one

    > > more time and
    > > >that seems to have fixed it except I think there is a problem

    > > with 2D
    > > >acceleration. I have no problem playing games like Unreal

    > > Tournament 2004
    > > >and getting 60+ frames per second, but I've notice that

    > > anytime I drag a
    > > >window (any window) around the screen my CPU usage spikes.

    > > So I think it's
    > > >only sorta fix.......(?)
    > > >
    > > >Jeff
    > > >

    > > <snjp>
    > >
    > > Sounds like you need to go to Display Properties -> Effects
    > > and
    > > deselect Show window contents while dragging, Jeff.
    > >
    > > Patrick
    > >
    > > <> - take five to email me...

    >Jeff - you fixed the problem by reinstalling the drivers?
    >wich Magic CATALYST ver did you use?
    >
    >I tried several from 5.9 to 5.6 with no sucess.
    >i ran out of option so now i’m preprening for a format & windows
    >reinstall.
    >
    >Gal

    Perhaps it's not just a matter of the Catalyst version, Gal. Do you
    uninstall the old drivers, reboot and run the ATI - Uninstall Software
    Utility (or cat-uninstaller.exe) before reinstalling? It's always
    been advisable, and I believe several people have found it to make a
    particular difference with recent Catalyst versions.

    Patrick

    <> - take five to email me...

  14. galrumbak

    galrumbak Guest

    Re: Re: Can't enable Direct3D acceleration.

    "" wrote:
    > On 11 Oct 2005 15:38:20 -0400, galrumbak
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"" wrote:
    > > > On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:17:44 -0400, "Jeff Ingram"
    > > > <>

    > one
    > > > more time and

    > problem
    > > > with 2D

    > Unreal
    > > > Tournament 2004
    > > > anytime I drag a

    > spikes.
    > > > So I think it's

    > > > <snjp>
    > > >
    > > > Sounds like you need to go to Display Properties ->

    > Effects
    > > > and
    > > > deselect Show window contents while dragging, Jeff.
    > > >
    > > > Patrick
    > > >
    > > > <> - take five to email me...

    > >Jeff - you fixed the problem by reinstalling the drivers?
    > >wich Magic CATALYST ver did you use?
    > >
    > >I tried several from 5.9 to 5.6 with no sucess.
    > >i ran out of option so now i’m preprening for a format &

    > windows
    > >reinstall.
    > >
    > >Gal

    > Perhaps it's not just a matter of the Catalyst version, Gal.
    > Do you
    > uninstall the old drivers, reboot and run the ATI - Uninstall
    > Software
    > Utility (or cat-uninstaller.exe) before reinstalling? It's
    > always
    > been advisable, and I believe several people have found it to
    > make a
    > particular difference with recent Catalyst versions.
    >
    > Patrick
    >
    > <> - take five to email me...

    Thanx,
    but it didn’t do the trick.

    I’ll go on with the format.

    Gal

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-enable-Direct3D-acceleron-ftopict59591.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=318826

  15. Shawk

    Shawk Guest

    "galrumbak" <> wrote in message

    > Thanx,
    > but it didn't do the trick.
    >
    > I'll go on with the format.

    Did you reinstall/update your mobo drivers?

  16. FAROOQ

    FAROOQ

    Joined:
    May 30, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    problum to play games on my laptop lenovo 3000n100

    Hello,

    I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what happened
    but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run Unreal
    Tournament 2004 I get the message:

    "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting dxdiag
    and enabling Direct3D Acceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after installing
    DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."

    None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to the
    Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
    Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
    unavailable.

    it display it doen`t show any driver moddle
    plz help

    Thanks
    farooq

  17. Martono

    Martono

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Blame

    OK HERE IT IS
    right click on your screen; it pulls up display properties
    go to settings
    go to advanced
    go to troubleshooting tab
    move the hardware acceleration all the way to the right; it will say that all accelerations are enabled.

    just for the fun of it enable the write combining too. I don't know if it controls anything and I don't care to check. Your computer will have to restart. Just let it.