    BTW, I have a second (Pentium 3) PC and the Sony camera and camcorder show
    up no probs on that one.
    The problem seems to be with the Packard Bell machine, but why?!

    Champagne Charlie, Dec 23, 2005

  2. Champagne Charlie

    Ben Myers Guest

    It is possible that the Sony camcorder requires a USB 2.0 port, and the USB port
    hardware on your system is older USB 1.0 or USB 1.1. To fix the problem,
    install an inexpensive USB 2.0 PCI card... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 23, 2005

  3. <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    > It is possible that the Sony camcorder requires a USB 2.0 port, and the
    > USB port
    > hardware on your system is older USB 1.0 or USB 1.1. To fix the problem,
    > install an inexpensive USB 2.0 PCI card... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:57:39 GMT, "Champagne Charlie"
    > <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>I have a Sony DCR-TR480 Digital8 camcorder and going nuts from trying to
    >>install the driver for it on my Win XP Pro Packard Bell PC. I have other
    >>USB
    >>devices install successfully, e.g. Logitech Quickcam Express, Canon
    >>PowerShot digicam, but somehow the Sony hardware won't show up on my PC.
    >>(I
    >>also have a Sony P-90 digicam and it won't install either). For the time
    >>being, my main gripe is my new camcorder and how I might get it to work
    >>though. I've installed all the software for it from the CD which came with
    >>it, and installed/uninstalled the USB driver countless times, but a
    >>message
    >>appears telling me I must reboot after installing the USB driver and when
    >>reboot, there's no sign of any driver installed. Does anyone have any idea
    >>how I can resolve this problem?
    >>TIA.
    >>Geo.
    >>
    >>P.S.
    >>BTW, I have a second (Pentium 3) PC and the Sony camera and camcorder show
    >>up no probs on that one.
    >>The problem seems to be with the Packard Bell machine, but why?!

    I've finally figured it out....'at a heck of a cost! I wondered why when I
    have 2 PCs that one would install my drivers for USB & Firewire devices and
    the other would not. After trying every 'trick' in the book to get these
    devices to install, it dawned on me that there were other similar devices
    which I installed no probs....'prior to allowing windows update to take
    control of my PC and install whatever it felt like. I 'knew' in the back of
    my mind it had to be SP2 that was the problem here, but had no real proof.
    Then I uninstalled SP2....'and all my devices now install easily. The only
    thing is, the system has now become unstable and very few programs still
    actually work properly as SP2 trashes things when you uninstall it. But, at
    least I've found the culprit...'SP2! Why the hell do Microsoft tell us we
    'need' all this stuff and encourage us to install it when all it does is
    cause more problems than it fixes?

    Can I sue? ;)

    Champagne Charlie, Dec 26, 2005
  4. Champagne Charlie

    Elector Guest

    "Champagne Charlie" <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:nQXrf.33494$...

    > I've finally figured it out....'at a heck of a cost! I wondered why
    > when I have 2 PCs that one would install my drivers for USB &
    > Firewire devices and the other would not. After trying every 'trick'
    > in the book to get these devices to install, it dawned on me that
    > there were other similar devices which I installed no
    > probs....'prior to allowing windows update to take control of my PC
    > and install whatever it felt like. I 'knew' in the back of my mind
    > it had to be SP2 that was the problem here, but had no real proof.
    > Then I uninstalled SP2....'and all my devices now install easily.
    > The only thing is, the system has now become unstable and very few
    > programs still actually work properly as SP2 trashes things when you
    > uninstall it. But, at least I've found the culprit...'SP2! Why the
    > hell do Microsoft tell us we 'need' all this stuff and encourage us
    > to install it when all it does is cause more problems than it fixes?
    >
    > Can I sue? ;)

    No you cannot. You notice the disclaimer that you install these
    updates and that Microsoft does not say it may not cause any problems
    etc. its the price people pay for the chance to make an improvement??
    If you can call it that.

    Elector

    Elector, Dec 27, 2005
  5. Champagne Charlie

    RRR_News Guest

    Charlie,
    1. Did you check on the Packard Bell site under Support and see if there was a USB driver because of SP2. This is additional to what ben_meyers has said, that you may need to go the USB card route to solve your problem.

    2. You did not mention what PBell PC model you had, or if the XP Pro on the PC was an upgrade, or originally came with the PC.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    RRR_News, Dec 27, 2005