can't install USB 2.0 card in Dell 8200

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Joe, Jul 14, 2011.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    So, I have this ancient Dell 8200 as a backup system- haven't done much with
    it in years but decided to tinker with it, to regain my tinkering skills and
    update it a bit. I went to EBay and got some cheap RAM bringing it from 512
    MB to a Gig. No problem.

    Then I ordered on EBay a cheap USB 2.0 card but it just doesn't work. I
    emailed the company I purchased it from and they sent me an identical one
    which also doesn't work.

    It's obvious that the most likely thing is that the USB cards are cheap junk
    that doesn't work.

    What I am wondering is- should they work? I mean, should this old Dell be
    able to successfully install a PCI card to upgrade it to USB 2.0? Or is it
    just not possible?

    My next option is to try with another firm on EBay or go to Best Buy which
    has them - even there, they're cheap, something like $25 but heck, I got
    lucky with the RAM on EBay so I thought I could get lucky with a $5 USB
    card.

    The main reason I want the USB 2.0 is so I can back up the hard drive with
    my WD external hard drive using Acronis. The external drive will work with
    the existing USB 1.0 on the MB but it's way too slow. After I successfully
    back up the drive with the external drive, I want to install a new larger
    drive, then using Acronis, see if I can move everything from the external to
    the new drive- as a learning experience, in case I ever have to do this with
    my much newer Dell 9200.
    Joe

    Joe, Jul 14, 2011

  2. Joe

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jul 14, 3:04 pm, "Joe" <> wrote:
    > So, I have this ancient Dell 8200 as a backup system- haven't done much with
    > it in years but decided to tinker with it, to regain my tinkering skills and
    > update it a bit. I went to EBay and got some cheap RAM bringing it from 512
    > MB to a Gig. No problem.
    >
    > Then I ordered on EBay a cheap USB 2.0 card but it just doesn't work. I
    > emailed the company I purchased it from and they sent me an identical one
    > which also doesn't work.
    >
    > It's obvious that the most likely thing is that the USB cards are cheap junk
    > that doesn't work.
    >
    > What I am wondering is- should they work? I mean, should this old Dell be
    > able to successfully install a PCI card to upgrade it to USB 2.0? Or is it
    > just not possible?
    >
    > My next option is to try with another firm on EBay or go to Best Buy which
    > has them - even there, they're cheap, something like $25 but heck, I got
    > lucky with the RAM on EBay so I thought I could get lucky with a $5 USB
    > card.
    >
    > The main reason I want the USB 2.0 is so I can back up the hard drive with
    > my WD external hard drive using Acronis. The external drive will work with
    > the existing USB 1.0 on the MB but it's way too slow. After I successfully
    > back up the drive with the external drive, I want to install a new larger
    > drive, then using Acronis, see if I can move everything from the externalto
    > the new drive- as a learning experience, in case I ever have to do this with
    > my much newer Dell 9200.
    > Joe

    Google is your friend! "USB 2 PCI card"
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=87dd8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

    Bob Villa, Jul 14, 2011

  3. Joe

    Steve W. Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > So, I have this ancient Dell 8200 as a backup system- haven't done much
    > with it in years but decided to tinker with it, to regain my tinkering
    > skills and update it a bit. I went to EBay and got some cheap RAM
    > bringing it from 512 MB to a Gig. No problem.
    >
    > Then I ordered on EBay a cheap USB 2.0 card but it just doesn't work. I
    > emailed the company I purchased it from and they sent me an identical
    > one which also doesn't work.
    >
    > It's obvious that the most likely thing is that the USB cards are cheap
    > junk that doesn't work.
    >
    > What I am wondering is- should they work? I mean, should this old Dell
    > be able to successfully install a PCI card to upgrade it to USB 2.0? Or
    > is it just not possible?
    >
    > My next option is to try with another firm on EBay or go to Best Buy
    > which has them - even there, they're cheap, something like $25 but heck,
    > I got lucky with the RAM on EBay so I thought I could get lucky with a
    > $5 USB card.
    >
    > The main reason I want the USB 2.0 is so I can back up the hard drive
    > with my WD external hard drive using Acronis. The external drive will
    > work with the existing USB 1.0 on the MB but it's way too slow. After I
    > successfully back up the drive with the external drive, I want to
    > install a new larger drive, then using Acronis, see if I can move
    > everything from the external to the new drive- as a learning experience,
    > in case I ever have to do this with my much newer Dell 9200.
    > Joe

    I have a USB 2.0 card in my old 8200. Works just fine. It was a cheap
    card from Wal~Mart probably 4-5 years ago. Saitek?

    --
    Steve W.

    Steve W., Jul 14, 2011
  4. Joe

    Trekman Guest

    On Jul 14, 4:16 pm, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    > On Jul 14, 3:04 pm, "Joe" <> wrote:
    >

    > > So, I have this ancient Dell 8200 as a backup system- haven't done muchwith
    > > it in years but decided to tinker with it, to regain my tinkering skills and
    > > update it a bit. I went to EBay and got some cheap RAM bringing it from512
    > > MB to a Gig. No problem.

    > > Then I ordered on EBay a cheap USB 2.0 card but it just doesn't work. I
    > > emailed the company I purchased it from and they sent me an identical one
    > > which also doesn't work.

    > > It's obvious that the most likely thing is that the USB cards are cheapjunk
    > > that doesn't work.

    > > What I am wondering is- should they work? I mean, should this old Dell be
    > > able to successfully install a PCI card to upgrade it to USB 2.0? Or isit
    > > just not possible?

    > > My next option is to try with another firm on EBay or go to Best Buy which
    > > has them - even there, they're cheap, something like $25 but heck, I got
    > > lucky with the RAM on EBay so I thought I could get lucky with a $5 USB
    > > card.

    > > The main reason I want the USB 2.0 is so I can back up the hard drive with
    > > my WD external hard drive using Acronis. The external drive will work with
    > > the existing USB 1.0 on the MB but it's way too slow. After I successfully
    > > back up the drive with the external drive, I want to install a new larger
    > > drive, then using Acronis, see if I can move everything from the external to
    > > the new drive- as a learning experience, in case I ever have to do thiswith
    > > my much newer Dell 9200.
    > > Joe

    > Google is your friend! "USB 2 PCI card"http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=USB_2.0_PCI_A...

    I have a USB 2.0 card in my 8200 that worked fine when I was using the
    computer. Right now I would send you the card if you want it Joe.

    Trekman, Jul 15, 2011
  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Did you need to install any drivers or did it just work? In my case, I don't
    know if the problem is that it's cheap stuff from EBay or if it's a driver
    problem.
    Joe

    Joe, Jul 15, 2011
  6. Joe

    Joe Guest

    That driver is on Seagate's web site- so I would presume it's designed to
    work with Seagate products. Is it likely to work with any USB 2.0 card? I
    don't suppose it could hurt to try.
    Joe

    Joe, Jul 15, 2011
  7. Joe

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Jul 15, 8:37 am, "Joe" <> wrote:
    > That driver is on Seagate's web site- so I would presume it's designed to
    > work with Seagate products. Is it likely to work with any USB 2.0 card? I
    > don't suppose it could hurt to try.
    > Joe
    >
    > "Bob Villa" <> wrote in message

    > On Jul 14, 3:04 pm, "Joe" <> wrote:
    >

    > > So, I have this ancient Dell 8200 as a backup system- haven't done much
    > > with
    > > it in years but decided to tinker with it, to regain my tinkering skills
    > > and
    > > update it a bit. I went to EBay and got some cheap RAM bringing it from
    > > 512
    > > MB to a Gig. No problem.

    > > Then I ordered on EBay a cheap USB 2.0 card but it just doesn't work. I
    > > emailed the company I purchased it from and they sent me an identical one
    > > which also doesn't work.

    > > It's obvious that the most likely thing is that the USB cards are cheap
    > > junk
    > > that doesn't work.

    > > What I am wondering is- should they work? I mean, should this old Dell be
    > > able to successfully install a PCI card to upgrade it to USB 2.0? Or isit
    > > just not possible?

    > > My next option is to try with another firm on EBay or go to Best Buy which
    > > has them - even there, they're cheap, something like $25 but heck, I got
    > > lucky with the RAM on EBay so I thought I could get lucky with a $5 USB
    > > card.

    > > The main reason I want the USB 2.0 is so I can back up the hard drive with
    > > my WD external hard drive using Acronis. The external drive will work with
    > > the existing USB 1.0 on the MB but it's way too slow. After I successfully
    > > back up the drive with the external drive, I want to install a new larger
    > > drive, then using Acronis, see if I can move everything from the external
    > > the new drive- as a learning experience, in case I ever have to do this
    > > with
    > > my much newer Dell 9200.
    > > Joe

    > Google is your friend! "USB 2 PCI card"http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=USB_2.0_PCI_A...

    As a rule, you need drivers to install a USB 2.0 card under Windows
    2000 or later. The drivers are generally tied to the USB chipset on
    the card. I have found the NEC USB chipset to be the most trouble-
    free in a free-standing card. The other popular USB chipset is VIA.
    So look at the chipset on the card and match drivers to it.

    Ben Myers, Jul 15, 2011
  8. Joe

    Steve W. Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > Did you need to install any drivers or did it just work? In my case, I
    > don't know if the problem is that it's cheap stuff from EBay or if it's
    > a driver problem.
    > Joe

    You will need to install drivers for the card on that machine.
    Very few add on port type cards will have native driver support.

    --
    Steve W.

    Steve W., Jul 15, 2011
  9. Joe

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jul 15, 10:17 am, "Steve W." <> wrote:
    > Joe wrote:
    > > Did you need to install any drivers or did it just work? In my case, I
    > > don't know if the problem is that it's cheap stuff from EBay or if it's
    > > a driver problem.
    > > Joe

    > You will need to install drivers for the card on that machine.
    > Very few add on port type cards will have native driver support.
    >
    > --
    > Steve W.

    On a 4550 when I installed a firewire card...it was plug-and-play,
    drivers were there.

    Bob Villa, Jul 15, 2011
  10. Joe

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Jul 15, 1:26 pm, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    > On Jul 15, 10:17 am, "Steve W." <> wrote:
    >
    > > Joe wrote:
    > > > Did you need to install any drivers or did it just work? In my case, I
    > > > don't know if the problem is that it's cheap stuff from EBay or if it's
    > > > a driver problem.
    > > > Joe

    > > You will need to install drivers for the card on that machine.
    > > Very few add on port type cards will have native driver support.

    > > --
    > > Steve W.

    > On a 4550 when I installed a firewire card...it was plug-and-play,
    > drivers were there.

    It all depends on whether or not the chipset drivers are included with
    all the drivers shipped on a Windows installation CD. Drivers
    present? Plug-N-Play. Drivers missing? Find them... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 15, 2011
  11. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Well, after trying several times--- my PC finally managed to install VIA
    drivers- not sure if they were in the XP service pack or XP found them
    online. But it seems that it's running very slow- that is when trying to
    backup to my WD external HD. My HD on the Dell 8200 only has 35 GB and the
    backup shouldn't have taken more than 20 minutes. The external HD backs up
    my 200 GBs on my Dell 9200 in that much time.

    So, either the card isn't functioning as USB 2.0 or the backup is proceeding
    slow because it's an older, slower computer, with only a GB of RAM. I may
    try to update the driver by asking Device Manager to find it online or just
    googling it.

    As I've said before, this is more about learning and experimenting than
    anything else- which is fun on an old computer. I'd be very cautious doing
    this on my business computer. I always like to buy a new PC every 2-3 years
    at the most, then maintain at least one older computer as a backup.

    I see that the card does say VIA on it so I should be able to find a newer
    driver. Device Manager indicates that the driver it installed is from 2002-
    which is probably when USB 2.0 came out or even before, so an updated driver
    may work better.

    Oh, the EBay outfit that sold me this item for a mere $5- I noticed on their
    web site that the item is shipped with a driver, which didn't come with the
    package via EBay. So, the firm gave me a link to a driver. The file name for
    the driver is CV066.rar. I don't know how to install that- I suppose through
    Device Manager?
    Joe

    Joe, Jul 16, 2011
  12. Joe

    Tom Lake Guest

    Oh, the EBay outfit that sold me this item for a mere $5- I noticed on their
    web site that the item is shipped with a driver, which didn't come with the
    package via EBay. So, the firm gave me a link to a driver. The file name for
    the driver is CV066.rar. I don't know how to install that- I suppose through
    Device Manager?

    a .rar file is packed. You have to unpack it. I use a free program called
    7-Zip
    and it works good enough for me. Once you unpack the .rar file into a folder
    of its own, you should be able to tell the driver update to point to that
    folder
    to complete the driver update.

    Tom Lake

    http://7-zip.org/

    Tom Lake, Jul 16, 2011
  13. Joe

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Jul 16, 10:36 am, "Joe" <> wrote:
    > Well, after trying several times--- my PC finally managed to install VIA
    > drivers- not sure if they were in the XP service pack or XP found them
    > online. But it seems that it's running very slow- that is when trying to
    > backup to my WD external HD. My HD on the Dell 8200 only has 35 GB and the
    > backup shouldn't have taken more than 20 minutes. The external HD backs up
    > my 200 GBs on my Dell 9200 in that much time.
    >
    > So, either the card isn't functioning as USB 2.0 or the backup is proceeding
    > slow because it's an older, slower computer, with only a GB of RAM. I may
    > try to update the driver by asking Device Manager to find it online or just
    > googling it.
    >
    > As I've said before, this is more about learning and experimenting than
    > anything else- which is fun on an old computer. I'd be very cautious doing
    > this on my business computer. I always like to buy a new PC every 2-3 years
    > at the most, then maintain at least one older computer as a backup.
    >
    > I see that the card does say VIA on it so I should be able to find a newer
    > driver. Device Manager indicates that the driver it installed is from 2002-
    > which is probably when USB 2.0 came out or even before, so an updated driver
    > may work better.
    >
    > Oh, the EBay outfit that sold me this item for a mere $5- I noticed on their
    > web site that the item is shipped with a driver, which didn't come with the
    > package via EBay. So, the firm gave me a link to a driver. The file name for
    > the driver is CV066.rar. I don't know how to install that- I suppose through
    > Device Manager?
    > Joe

    If the card is truly USB 2.0, the main VIA chip should have one of the
    following markings on it: VT6202, VT6212. VT6214/L.

    You can download the VIA USB 2.0 driver, dated 2005, from
    http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp

    There is an odd notice there with the USB driver:
    "For Win2K and WinXP, due to licensing agreements, a VIA USB2 driver
    package cannot be distributed online. Driver support for VIA USB 2.0
    controllers requires Windows XP SP1 (Service Pack 1), Windows 2000
    SP4, or system upgrade through Windows Update. Alternatively, please
    contact your motherboard manufacturer or the manufacturer of the USB
    2.0 PCI card if you have misplaced their driver CD. The VIA USB2
    driver package below can be installed after the Microsoft driver to
    further improve device compatibility."

    The download is a ZIP file, for which I prefer 7-ZIP instead of
    Windows built-in unzip... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 16, 2011
  14. Joe

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben Myers <> wrote:
    >On Jul 16, 10:36 am, "Joe" <> wrote:
    >> Well, after trying several times--- my PC finally managed to install VIA
    >> drivers- not sure if they were in the XP service pack or XP found them
    >> online. But it seems that it's running very slow- that is when trying to
    >> backup to my WD external HD. My HD on the Dell 8200 only has 35 GB and the
    >> backup shouldn't have taken more than 20 minutes. The external HD backs up
    >> my 200 GBs on my Dell 9200 in that much time.
    >>
    >> So, either the card isn't functioning as USB 2.0 or the backup is proceeding
    >> slow because it's an older, slower computer, with only a GB of RAM. I may
    >> try to update the driver by asking Device Manager to find it online or just
    >> googling it.
    >>
    >> As I've said before, this is more about learning and experimenting than
    >> anything else- which is fun on an old computer. I'd be very cautious doing
    >> this on my business computer. I always like to buy a new PC every 2-3 years
    >> at the most, then maintain at least one older computer as a backup.
    >>
    >> I see that the card does say VIA on it so I should be able to find a newer
    >> driver. Device Manager indicates that the driver it installed is from 2002-
    >> which is probably when USB 2.0 came out or even before, so an updated driver
    >> may work better.
    >>
    >> Oh, the EBay outfit that sold me this item for a mere $5- I noticed on their
    >> web site that the item is shipped with a driver, which didn't come with the
    >> package via EBay. So, the firm gave me a link to a driver. The file name for
    >> the driver is CV066.rar. I don't know how to install that- I suppose through
    >> Device Manager?
    >> Joe

    >If the card is truly USB 2.0, the main VIA chip should have one of the
    >following markings on it: VT6202, VT6212. VT6214/L.
    >
    >You can download the VIA USB 2.0 driver, dated 2005, from
    >http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp
    >
    >There is an odd notice there with the USB driver:
    >"For Win2K and WinXP, due to licensing agreements, a VIA USB2 driver
    >package cannot be distributed online. Driver support for VIA USB 2.0
    >controllers requires Windows XP SP1 (Service Pack 1), Windows 2000
    >SP4, or system upgrade through Windows Update. Alternatively, please
    >contact your motherboard manufacturer or the manufacturer of the USB
    >2.0 PCI card if you have misplaced their driver CD. The VIA USB2
    >driver package below can be installed after the Microsoft driver to
    >further improve device compatibility."
    >
    >The download is a ZIP file, for which I prefer 7-ZIP instead of
    >Windows built-in unzip... Ben Myers

    Every VIA and NEC-based USB2 card I've ever tried is natively supported by
    the drivers already present in XPSP2 and above.

    Mike S., Jul 17, 2011
  15. Joe

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:ivs7m6$l3l$,
    Joe wrote:
    > Well, after trying several times--- my PC finally managed to install
    > VIA drivers- not sure if they were in the XP service pack or XP found
    > them online. But it seems that it's running very slow- that is when
    > trying to backup to my WD external HD. My HD on the Dell 8200 only
    > has 35 GB and the backup shouldn't have taken more than 20 minutes.
    > The external HD backs up my 200 GBs on my Dell 9200 in that much time.

    No, that is a pretty normal transfer rate for USB2. USB isn't as fast as
    PATA or SATA interfaces quite yet. Luckily you are not trying to do this
    with USB 1.1. As that would take something like 20 some hours to do the
    very same. ;-)

    --
    Bill
    Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    BillW50, Jul 27, 2011
  16. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Well, I finally gave up on the $5 EBay USB 2 card and splurged $19 for a 2
    port USB 2.0 card at Best Buy and it worked perfectly right away!

    With that junk card- it told me it would take over 3 hours to backup the 40
    gig drive to a MyBook 2T external drive using of course the new card.

    With the new card from Best Buy, it's telling me it will do it in about 30
    minutes- so apparently the junk card just never properly was functioning as
    a USB 2 card.

    I'm doing a lot of "fixing up" my ancient Dell- not because I really need
    to- but just to stay familiar with some of the basic skills.

    My next project, after adding RAM and the USB 2 card is to switch out the
    hard drive, after backing up with Acronis, then seeing if I have any luck
    restoring that 40 gigs to the new drive. I'm anxious to feel comfortable
    doing this- so that if I ever need to do this with my current business Dell,
    I won't be a nervous wreck.

    thanks everyone for your comments- this newsgroup is more responsive than
    Dell's online forums

    Joe

    Joe, Sep 4, 2011
  17. Joe

    BillW50 Guest

    On 9/4/2011 7:20 AM, Joe wrote:
    > Well, I finally gave up on the $5 EBay USB 2 card and splurged $19 for a
    > 2 port USB 2.0 card at Best Buy and it worked perfectly right away!

    I bought an USB multi card reader on eBay from China for about $2.50
    (includes free shipping). It says USB2 right on it, but it is really an
    USB 1.1 card reader. Yet there are other USB card readers like the SDHC
    on eBay from China that can be bought for a penny (with free shipping)
    and those actually work fine at USB 2 speeds.

    > With that junk card- it told me it would take over 3 hours to backup the
    > 40 gig drive to a MyBook 2T external drive using of course the new card.
    >
    > With the new card from Best Buy, it's telling me it will do it in about
    > 30 minutes- so apparently the junk card just never properly was
    > functioning as a USB 2 card.

    Well something was wrong for sure, but it wasn't as slow as USB 1.1
    speeds. As USB 1.1 runs at 12 Mbps and USB 2.0 runs at 480 Mbps. So that
    is 40 times difference. Yours is only a six times difference.

    > I'm doing a lot of "fixing up" my ancient Dell- not because I really
    > need to- but just to stay familiar with some of the basic skills.
    >
    > My next project, after adding RAM and the USB 2 card is to switch out
    > the hard drive, after backing up with Acronis, then seeing if I have any
    > luck restoring that 40 gigs to the new drive. I'm anxious to feel
    > comfortable doing this- so that if I ever need to do this with my
    > current business Dell, I won't be a nervous wreck.

    I do this all of the time. As what good is making backups for years and
    the one day you really need them, none of them restore? And I learned
    that you should never give up testing them (okay you don't have to test
    every single one). At least every so often anyway.

    But testing them, the backup and restore method is very time consuming.
    As you can clone a drive in half of the time. So that is what I
    generally use nowadays. Although if you want more than one clone, you
    have to buy a separate hard drive for every copy. But that is actually
    better in many ways. As if one drive ever fails for example, you still
    have more of them anyway. ;-)

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0

    BillW50, Sep 4, 2011
  18. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    > On 9/4/2011 7:20 AM, Joe wrote:
    >> Well, I finally gave up on the $5 EBay USB 2 card and splurged $19 for a
    >> 2 port USB 2.0 card at Best Buy and it worked perfectly right away!

    > I bought an USB multi card reader on eBay from China for about $2.50
    > (includes free shipping). It says USB2 right on it, but it is really an
    > USB 1.1 card reader. Yet there are other USB card readers like the SDHC on
    > eBay from China that can be bought for a penny (with free shipping) and
    > those actually work fine at USB 2 speeds.
    >
    >> With that junk card- it told me it would take over 3 hours to backup the
    >> 40 gig drive to a MyBook 2T external drive using of course the new card.
    >>
    >> With the new card from Best Buy, it's telling me it will do it in about
    >> 30 minutes- so apparently the junk card just never properly was
    >> functioning as a USB 2 card.

    > Well something was wrong for sure, but it wasn't as slow as USB 1.1
    > speeds. As USB 1.1 runs at 12 Mbps and USB 2.0 runs at 480 Mbps. So that
    > is 40 times difference. Yours is only a six times difference.
    >
    >> I'm doing a lot of "fixing up" my ancient Dell- not because I really
    >> need to- but just to stay familiar with some of the basic skills.
    >>
    >> My next project, after adding RAM and the USB 2 card is to switch out
    >> the hard drive, after backing up with Acronis, then seeing if I have any
    >> luck restoring that 40 gigs to the new drive. I'm anxious to feel
    >> comfortable doing this- so that if I ever need to do this with my
    >> current business Dell, I won't be a nervous wreck.

    > I do this all of the time. As what good is making backups for years and
    > the one day you really need them, none of them restore? And I learned that
    > you should never give up testing them (okay you don't have to test every
    > single one). At least every so often anyway.
    >
    > But testing them, the backup and restore method is very time consuming. As
    > you can clone a drive in half of the time. So that is what I generally use
    > nowadays. Although if you want more than one clone, you have to buy a
    > separate hard drive for every copy. But that is actually better in many
    > ways. As if one drive ever fails for example, you still have more of them
    > anyway. ;-)

    That's what's nice about these 2T drives, for most people, there's room for
    several clones.
    Joe

    Joe, Sep 4, 2011
  19. Joe

    BillW50 Guest

    On 9/4/2011 4:08 PM, Joe wrote:

    > "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    >> On 9/4/2011 7:20 AM, Joe wrote:
    >>> Well, I finally gave up on the $5 EBay USB 2 card and splurged $19 for a
    >>> 2 port USB 2.0 card at Best Buy and it worked perfectly right away!

    >> I bought an USB multi card reader on eBay from China for about $2.50
    >> (includes free shipping). It says USB2 right on it, but it is really
    >> an USB 1.1 card reader. Yet there are other USB card readers like the
    >> SDHC on eBay from China that can be bought for a penny (with free
    >> shipping) and those actually work fine at USB 2 speeds.
    >>
    >>> With that junk card- it told me it would take over 3 hours to backup the
    >>> 40 gig drive to a MyBook 2T external drive using of course the new card.
    >>>
    >>> With the new card from Best Buy, it's telling me it will do it in about
    >>> 30 minutes- so apparently the junk card just never properly was
    >>> functioning as a USB 2 card.

    >> Well something was wrong for sure, but it wasn't as slow as USB 1.1
    >> speeds. As USB 1.1 runs at 12 Mbps and USB 2.0 runs at 480 Mbps. So
    >> that is 40 times difference. Yours is only a six times difference.
    >>
    >>> I'm doing a lot of "fixing up" my ancient Dell- not because I really
    >>> need to- but just to stay familiar with some of the basic skills.
    >>>
    >>> My next project, after adding RAM and the USB 2 card is to switch out
    >>> the hard drive, after backing up with Acronis, then seeing if I have any
    >>> luck restoring that 40 gigs to the new drive. I'm anxious to feel
    >>> comfortable doing this- so that if I ever need to do this with my
    >>> current business Dell, I won't be a nervous wreck.

    >> I do this all of the time. As what good is making backups for years
    >> and the one day you really need them, none of them restore? And I
    >> learned that you should never give up testing them (okay you don't
    >> have to test every single one). At least every so often anyway.
    >>
    >> But testing them, the backup and restore method is very time
    >> consuming. As you can clone a drive in half of the time. So that is
    >> what I generally use nowadays. Although if you want more than one
    >> clone, you have to buy a separate hard drive for every copy. But that
    >> is actually better in many ways. As if one drive ever fails for
    >> example, you still have more of them anyway. ;-)

    > That's what's nice about these 2T drives, for most people, there's room
    > for several clones.
    > Joe
    >
    >>> thanks everyone for your comments- this newsgroup is more responsive
    >>> than Dell's online forums
    >>>
    >>> Joe
    >>>
    >>> "BillW50" <> wrote in message

    Yes I have them too, but they are worthless if they can't restore. Plus
    you have to test if they can restore. For that, you need another drive.
    Then if you test (highly recommended) you still need at least another
    drive anyway. So why not just clone it and see if it works?

    And if you want to test with a second drive (you don't want to test with
    the original drive), well you need at least a second drive.

    --
    Bill
    Alienware M9700 ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3

    BillW50, Sep 5, 2011