Can't Install Windows XP on a IBM Thinkpad Laptop

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by TomYoung, May 17, 2008.

  1. TomYoung

    TomYoung Guest

    Hi:

    I have an older IBM Thinkpad T20 on which I'm trying to do a fresh
    install of Windows XP Home Edition. Specs of this model are: PIII
    700MHz (256KB), 256MB RAM, 12.0GB HDD, 14.1 TFT 1024x768 LCD, 6x-2.3x
    DVD drive, 3Com combo.

    The install hangs with 35 or 34 minutes to go. I know it's got to be
    some sort of hardware conflict and I've found the Microsoft Help and
    Support page that gives hints as to how to find the problem.

    I just figure with a machine this old the problem should be well-
    known, though the Lenovo Support site doesn't mention anything about
    this issue.

    Anybody know, offhand, what's the problem here?

    Thanks.

    Tom Young
    TomYoung, May 17, 2008

  2. TomYoung

    Steve H Guest

    On Sat, 17 May 2008 20:35:15 -0500, "Angry American"
    <> wrote:

    >Usually if XP hangs on install its either a memory or hd issue, ie either
    >are going bad. The epcs of that machine are real low for XP, you may want to
    >look at Windows 2000 instead.

    I've seen XP running on Thinkpads as lowly as the 770 series - and
    installed it myself on a T22 ( not much higher spec than the T20 ) -
    but the advice to go for W2000 in this case is sound, it's far more
    responsive with the spec in question.
    Gets even better if you do a bit of tweaking...

    http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/win2k_services/

    You could try disabling the hibernate setting in the BIOS ( set
    options to Power Down ) - sometimes helps, and can be enabled later if
    the install goes well.

    Regards,

    --
    Steve ( out in the sticks )
    Email: anyoldname(*AT*)gmx(*dot*)co(*dot*)uk
    Steve H, May 18, 2008

  3. TomYoung

    Ben Myers Guest

    Carrying forward your suggestion, whenever there are hangs like this, something
    may not be 100% functional in the hardware. The first piece of hardware I would
    look at is the hard drive, because I have serviced a decent number of laptops
    with hard drive failures or simply sicko hard drives that limp along. So the OP
    should determine the manufacturer of the hard drive (not necessarily IBM, but
    probably is) and download the drive manufacturer's free diagnostic software to
    test the hard drive thoroughly. If the drive shows up with even one bad sector,
    it is essentially worthless and should be replaced. For an IBM brand drive, use
    the Hitachi diagnostics, because Hitachi bought IBM's drive business. For a
    Toshiba drive, also run the Hitachi diagnostics, because Toshiba does not think
    enough of its customers to provide its own drive diagnostics.

    I have seen XP running on Pentium 2 systems with as little as 192MB, because
    someone thought they were doing a good thing installing XP. It ran.
    S-L-O-O-O-O-W-L-Y. Definitely not for me and I am not a super (computer) speed
    freak. I, too, recommend Windows 2000, especially with only 256MB.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 18, 2008
  4. TomYoung

    Woody Guest

    You are probably running out of resources. Try increasing memory and hard
    drive. 12 gig may not be enough to install.

    Woody, May 18, 2008
  5. TomYoung

    Ben Myers Guest

    12GB is enough for XP. The basic install of XP itself takes no more than 4GB.
    More memory would help in any case, but if XP can run in 192MB (saw it with my
    own eyes, but I did not install it), 256MB must be sufficient for an install.

    I'll still claim that the OP's T20 has a hardware problem, most likely hard
    drive after all these years... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 19, 2008
  6. TomYoung

    Toddddddd Guest

    I've run it on a 600.
    Running it now on a T22
    t20 should be no problem

    The hard drive suggestion sounds most plausible.
    I would first do an FDISK /MBR followed by a low-level format

    Try another HD if you can.

    You could always check the John Navas newsgoup:
    John.Navas.all.the.time.Navas :)
    Toddddddd, May 19, 2008
  7. TomYoung

    Larry Guest

    I just did this on a 2647-44U T20 and it went without a hitch. I used Pro
    though, but that shouldn't really make a difference.

    Very first thing I would do is download the Drive Fitness Test and test the
    drive. I bet it's bad.

    -Larry

    Larry, Jun 2, 2008
  8. TomYoung

    Guest

    On May 17, 4:51 pm, TomYoung <> wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I have an older IBM Thinkpad T20 on which I'm trying to do a fresh
    > install of Windows XP Home Edition.  Specs of this model are: PIII
    > 700MHz (256KB), 256MB RAM, 12.0GB HDD, 14.1 TFT 1024x768 LCD, 6x-2.3x
    > DVD drive, 3Com combo.
    >
    > The install hangs with 35 or 34 minutes to go.  I know it's got to be
    > some sort of hardware conflict and I've found the Microsoft Help and
    > Support page that gives hints as to how to find the problem.
    >
    > I just figure with a machine this old the problem should be well-
    > known, though the Lenovo Support site doesn't mention anything about
    > this issue.
    >
    > Anybody know, offhand, what's the problem here?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Tom Young

    I tried to install xp pro on the same thankpad and had the same
    problem. I start from up grade from win2k. Then tried reformat a
    couple of times with different file types. Still have the same
    problem. IBM link not help much. Only a clue is that there was error
    when upgrade from win2k saying that graphic driver is not compatible
    with xp (something like that).
    I'll update...
    , Jul 4, 2008
  9. TomYoung

    Ben Myers Guest

    First, I would upgrade the memory to 512MB.

    Second, I would install XP on a newly formatted hard drive, not as an UPGRADE,
    which often does not work.

    Third, before going further, I would make sure that the hardware is OK. To be
    specific, run DRIVE manufacturer's diagnostics on the hard drive, or run the
    all-purpose HDA2 freeware diagnostic... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 4, 2008
  10. >

    > On May 17, 4:51 pm, TomYoung <> wrote:
    > > Hi:
    > >
    > > I have an older IBM Thinkpad T20 on which I'm trying to do a fresh
    > > install of Windows XP Home Edition. Specs of this model are: PIII
    > > 700MHz (256KB), 256MB RAM, 12.0GB HDD, 14.1 TFT 1024x768 LCD, 6x-2.3x
    > > DVD drive, 3Com combo.
    > >
    > > The install hangs with 35 or 34 minutes to go. I know it's got to be
    > > some sort of hardware conflict and I've found the Microsoft Help and
    > > Support page that gives hints as to how to find the problem.
    > >
    > > I just figure with a machine this old the problem should be well-
    > > known, though the Lenovo Support site doesn't mention anything about
    > > this issue.
    > >
    > > Anybody know, offhand, what's the problem here?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Tom Young

    > I tried to install xp pro on the same thankpad and had the same
    > problem. I start from up grade from win2k. Then tried reformat a
    > couple of times with different file types. Still have the same
    > problem. IBM link not help much. Only a clue is that there was error
    > when upgrade from win2k saying that graphic driver is not compatible
    > with xp (something like that).
    > I'll update...

    I think you're both trying to push a chain uphill on this one. Even on my
    R51 with the stock 256MB, the thing was just barely able to get out of its
    own way, and it's got a 1.7GHz Pentium M. 256MB is the bare minimum for XP
    under the best circumstances. If 256MB maxes the thing out, then you might
    as well give up, go back to 2K, or go with Xubuntu (not Ubuntu or Kubuntu)
    8.04. Xubuntu is for systems with less than optimal resurces. No, you
    won't be able to run Winderz applications, but you'll be well ahead of the
    curve when Ballmer runs MSFT into bankruptcy.

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
    (Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)
    Tom Rutherford, Jul 5, 2008
  11. TomYoung

    Ben Myers Guest

    Agreed. XP running with 256MB reminds me of the old poem about the purple cow:
    "I'd rather see than be one." No way would I ever want to run XP with as
    little as 256MB. IMHO, 512MB is the minimum. Anyone wanting to run XP on a T20
    (or any other model) should spend a few bucks on the memory to upgrade to 512MB.

    Just because I stated earlier that I saw XP running on a Toshiba laptop with
    192MB does not mean I endorse it. I had to hold my tongue not to tell the owner
    that he made a stupid investment in the XP upgrade, with 192MB being the max
    memory allowed on the equally stupid Toshiba with only one SODIMM socket.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 5, 2008
  12. "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    > Agreed. XP running with 256MB reminds me of the old poem about the purple

    cow:
    > "I'd rather see than be one." No way would I ever want to run XP with as
    > little as 256MB. IMHO, 512MB is the minimum. Anyone wanting to run XP on

    a T20
    > (or any other model) should spend a few bucks on the memory to upgrade to

    512MB.

    > Just because I stated earlier that I saw XP running on a Toshiba laptop

    with
    > 192MB does not mean I endorse it. I had to hold my tongue not to tell the

    owner
    > that he made a stupid investment in the XP upgrade, with 192MB being the

    max
    > memory allowed on the equally stupid Toshiba with only one SODIMM socket.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers

    The 2888-GRU that I have was clearly a budget computer, as it shipped with
    256MB. A few days after I got it, I stuffed another 256MB in it, and it
    perked right up. I still had problems with things like System Upgrade, so
    thought that maybe throwing more memory at it would help. It didn't, but I
    don't think I've exactly wasted my money by maxing it out at 2GB. It'll be
    a selling point if there's still a market for it when I outgrow it. :)

    Tom Rutherford, Jul 6, 2008
  13. TomYoung

    RandyCorona Guest

    My second-hand computer at work is running XP Pro on 256Mb.
    What a drag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It works, but slow as can be. And, I'm the guy with the printer attached to my
    PC, so when someone sends a job, I go for coffee.

    Running it on my T22 with around 756Mb(?) and it works OK. Not a speed demon,
    but fairly crisp.

    RandyCorona, Jul 10, 2008
  14. TomYoung

    Ben Myers Guest

    Maybe the people who run the place can afford to spend a small amount of money
    to upgrade the memory of your second-hand computer? Maybe they can spend a
    small amount of money on hardware to make the printer an independent unit on the
    network? Maybe they are really cheap or they don't have any money at all?
    Maybe whomever is in charge of IT there cannot spell "employee productivity"?
    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 10, 2008