    *hid* the Ethernet adapter. Anyone have any clues or tips?

    TIA,
    TH

    Tony Harding, Oct 28, 2008

  2. Tony Harding

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: Tony Harding <>
    wrote:

    > The driver won't install saying there's no device there. I cannot for
    > the life of me remember how I *hid* the Ethernet adapter. Anyone have
    > any clues or tips?

    Did you delete it from the device manager?

    Open the device manager, in the right-hand pane, right-click on the
    top-most icon representing your system and select "scan for hardware
    changes"; maybe it will find your adapter again.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Oct 28, 2008

  3. On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:53:52 -0400, Tony Harding <>
    wrote:

    > I've been using the wireless adapter on my R61 TP for the last year or
    > so and hid/disabled the Ethernet port. I just moved and want to use the
    > Ethernet port but can't figure out how to get it back. Nothing in Dev
    > Mgr and nothing in the BIOS setup? The driver won't install saying
    > there's no device there. I cannot for the life of me remember how I
    > hid the Ethernet adapter. Anyone have any clues or tips?

    In XP go to Settings, Network Connections to find the LAN Connection.
    Right click on the LAN Connection and click on Enable.

    I presume Vista has something analogous to this.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Nov 2, 2008
  4. "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:53:52 -0400, Tony Harding <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I've been using the wireless adapter on my R61 TP for the last year or
    > > so and hid/disabled the Ethernet port. I just moved and want to use the
    > > Ethernet port but can't figure out how to get it back. Nothing in Dev
    > > Mgr and nothing in the BIOS setup? The driver won't install saying
    > > there's no device there. I cannot for the life of me remember how I
    > > hid the Ethernet adapter. Anyone have any clues or tips?

    > In XP go to Settings, Network Connections to find the LAN Connection.
    > Right click on the LAN Connection and click on Enable.
    >
    > I presume Vista has something analogous to this.

    Don't you have to do that from within ThinkVantage Access Connections?
    There's an item in the lower left of the opening screen..."Configure"?
    Anyway, if TVAC is active, it snags control of all network connections, with
    the possible exception of your dial-up connectoids. If you try to get to
    those things via XP's applet, you get a "Cannot control port" or similar
    message.

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
    (Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

    Tom Rutherford, Nov 2, 2008
  5. On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:11:11 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <>
    wrote:

    > "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:53:52 -0400, Tony Harding <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been using the wireless adapter on my R61 TP for the last year or
    >>> so and hid/disabled the Ethernet port. I just moved and want to use the
    >>> Ethernet port but can't figure out how to get it back. Nothing in Dev
    >>> Mgr and nothing in the BIOS setup? The driver won't install saying
    >>> there's no device there. I cannot for the life of me remember how I
    >>> hid the Ethernet adapter. Anyone have any clues or tips?

    >> In XP go to Settings, Network Connections to find the LAN Connection.
    >> Right click on the LAN Connection and click on Enable.
    >>
    >> I presume Vista has something analogous to this.

    > Don't you have to do that from within ThinkVantage Access Connections?
    > There's an item in the lower left of the opening screen..."Configure"?
    > Anyway, if TVAC is active, it snags control of all network connections, with
    > the possible exception of your dial-up connectoids. If you try to get to
    > those things via XP's applet, you get a "Cannot control port" or similar
    > message.

    I don't get those symptoms using AC v5.02 under XP.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Nov 3, 2008
  6. "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:11:11 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message

    the

    > >> In XP go to Settings, Network Connections to find the LAN Connection.
    > >> Right click on the LAN Connection and click on Enable.
    > >>
    > >> I presume Vista has something analogous to this.

    > > Don't you have to do that from within ThinkVantage Access Connections?
    > > There's an item in the lower left of the opening screen..."Configure"?
    > > Anyway, if TVAC is active, it snags control of all network connections,

    with
    > > the possible exception of your dial-up connectoids. If you try to get

    > > those things via XP's applet, you get a "Cannot control port" or similar
    > > message.

    > I don't get those symptoms using AC v5.02 under XP.

    I haven't tried playing with the connections from the XP side lately. When
    I found that the original IBMAC that shipped with the 'puter latched onto
    them and hung on for dear life, I just took it for granted that that's how
    it was supposed to be.

    Tom Rutherford, Nov 5, 2008
  7. Tony Harding

    TKM Guest

    "Tom Rutherford" <> wrote in message

    > "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:11:11 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message

    > the

    >> > Don't you have to do that from within ThinkVantage Access Connections?
    >> > There's an item in the lower left of the opening screen..."Configure"?
    >> > Anyway, if TVAC is active, it snags control of all network connections,

    > with
    >> > the possible exception of your dial-up connectoids. If you try to get

    >> > those things via XP's applet, you get a "Cannot control port" or
    >> > similar
    >> > message.

    >> I don't get those symptoms using AC v5.02 under XP.

    > I haven't tried playing with the connections from the XP side lately.
    > When
    > I found that the original IBMAC that shipped with the 'puter latched onto
    > them and hung on for dear life, I just took it for granted that that's how
    > it was supposed to be.
    >
    > --
    > -- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI
    > "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
    > (Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

    My X31 with XP Prosessional has the same problem. The two Ethernet
    connection icons which are shown as the 1394 Connection and the Local Area
    Connections have disappeared from the Network Connections folder and I can't
    figure out how to get them back. I've tried the TVAC, but it only shows
    how to handle the wireless connection.

    Reinstalling the adapters doesn't work and a check of the Device Manager
    shows no problems with the adapters or controllers.

    I have a feeling that a Windows component has to be restored, but which one
    and how?

    TKM

    TKM, Nov 5, 2008
  8. Tony Harding

    Charlie Guest

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 14:19:08 GMT, "TKM" <> wrote:

> [...]

    I admit to having no Vista experience since I'm out of the IT field (about 5
    years now), but I can see why Apple is drilling MS on Vista with their TV
    commercials.

    I recently had to help a friend view some photos and video I had FTP'ed to my
    web site. I sat down at their puter and was agawk at the interface! No wonder
    they couldn't figure out how to simply download a few files. It was so foreign
    looking, I thought they had some bastardized version of ME installed. What a
    kludge!

    They'll have to pry XP from my cold dead fingers after that experience!

    Charlie, Nov 5, 2008
  9. "TKM" <> wrote in message

    > "Tom Rutherford" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:11:11 -0500, "Tom Rutherford"

    <>

    <>

    > > the

    Dev

    Connection.

    Connections?

    screen..."Configure"?

    connections,
    > > with

    get

    > >> I don't get those symptoms using AC v5.02 under XP.

    > > I haven't tried playing with the connections from the XP side lately.
    > > When
    > > I found that the original IBMAC that shipped with the 'puter latched

    onto
    > > them and hung on for dear life, I just took it for granted that that's

    how
    > > it was supposed to be.
    > >

    > My X31 with XP Prosessional has the same problem. The two Ethernet
    > connection icons which are shown as the 1394 Connection and the Local Area
    > Connections have disappeared from the Network Connections folder and I

    can't
    > figure out how to get them back. I've tried the TVAC, but it only shows
    > how to handle the wireless connection.

    Hmmm...Very strange.

    > Reinstalling the adapters doesn't work and a check of the Device Manager
    > shows no problems with the adapters or controllers.

    How did you try reinstalling? Did you delete them from Device Manager and
    let Windows discover and reinstall them?

    > I have a feeling that a Windows component has to be restored, but which

    one
    > and how?

    Back in the Win98SE daze, there was something called System File Checker, I
    think it was called. Is there an analogue to SFC for XP Pro? If so, that
    should give you a list of changed or missing files. You may have to borrow
    somebody's XP Pro disc, though, unless you got one with your 'puter. I
    didn't; got a restore and recovery (or whatever they call it) partition on
    the hard drive, which doesn't do much good, unless there's an SFClike
    program there. In fact, when I upgraded my hard drive from the stock 30-gig
    to an 80, onto which I cloned both the Winderz and IBM partitions, there was
    a utility that jumped up and told me what changes had been made since a
    certain date. It was kind of freaky, but if I'd needed to know about it, it
    might've been helpful. There may be a way that you can invoke that program.
    I'm not sure.

    Tom Rutherford, Nov 7, 2008
  10. "Charlie" <> wrote in message

    > I admit to having no Vista experience since I'm out of the IT field (about

    5
    > years now), but I can see why Apple is drilling MS on Vista with their TV
    > commercials.

    Yeah, I think Mac's beating up on poor PC. I think the ads are cute,
    mostly, but I'm starting to feel sorry for the ol' guy, too. :)

    > I recently had to help a friend view some photos and video I had FTP'ed to

    my
    > web site. I sat down at their puter and was agawk at the interface! No

    wonder
    > they couldn't figure out how to simply download a few files. It was so

    foreign
    > looking, I thought they had some bastardized version of ME installed. What

    > kludge!

    Vista is turning out to be the Millennium Edition of the NT platforms, as
    much as people tell me it's too soon to say that. Okay, call me a prophet,
    but I see a day coming soon when Microsoft will do its best to sweep Vista
    and all memory of it under the rug with ME. They've already been working on
    codename "Windows 7" for a year or two.

    > They'll have to pry XP from my cold dead fingers after that experience!

    I'm working on migrating to Linux, myself. Screw the Redmond Menace.

    Tom Rutherford, Nov 7, 2008
  11. Tony Harding

    > "TKM" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tom Rutherford" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message

    > <>

    > <>

    >> > the

    > Dev

    > Connection.

    > Connections?

    > screen..."Configure"?

    > connections,
    >> > with

    > get

    >> > I haven't tried playing with the connections from the XP side lately.
    >> > When
    >> > I found that the original IBMAC that shipped with the 'puter latched

    > onto
    >> > them and hung on for dear life, I just took it for granted that that's

    > how
    >> > it was supposed to be.
    >> >

    >> My X31 with XP Prosessional has the same problem. The two Ethernet
    >> connection icons which are shown as the 1394 Connection and the Local
    >> Area
    >> Connections have disappeared from the Network Connections folder and I

    > can't
    >> figure out how to get them back. I've tried the TVAC, but it only shows
    >> how to handle the wireless connection.

    > Hmmm...Very strange.
    >
    >> Reinstalling the adapters doesn't work and a check of the Device Manager
    >> shows no problems with the adapters or controllers.

    > How did you try reinstalling? Did you delete them from Device Manager and
    > let Windows discover and reinstall them?
    >
    >> I have a feeling that a Windows component has to be restored, but which

    > one
    >> and how?

    > Back in the Win98SE daze, there was something called System File Checker,
    > think it was called. Is there an analogue to SFC for XP Pro? If so, that
    > should give you a list of changed or missing files. You may have to
    > borrow
    > somebody's XP Pro disc, though, unless you got one with your 'puter. I
    > didn't; got a restore and recovery (or whatever they call it) partition on
    > the hard drive, which doesn't do much good, unless there's an SFClike
    > program there. In fact, when I upgraded my hard drive from the stock
    > 30-gig
    > to an 80, onto which I cloned both the Winderz and IBM partitions, there
    > was
    > a utility that jumped up and told me what changes had been made since a
    > certain date. It was kind of freaky, but if I'd needed to know about it,
    > it
    > might've been helpful. There may be a way that you can invoke that
    > program.
    > I'm not sure.
    >
    > --
    > -- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI
    > "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
    > (Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

    Good questions. I'll try to reinstall via the Windows discovery process and
    I'll take a look for something like System File Checker (I do remember that
    application from early operating systems).

    Another clue just popped up. The ethernet icons disappeard sometime after I
    installed Service Pack 3 --- hmmmm. There's also something funny with
    Immib2.dll It's there, but the system can't find it.

    TKM

    TKM, Nov 7, 2008
  12. Tony Harding

    Woody Guest

    Have you shecked for it in BIOS and enabled it.

    Woody, Nov 9, 2008
  13. "TKM" <> wrote in message

    > Good questions. I'll try to reinstall via the Windows discovery process

    and
    > I'll take a look for something like System File Checker (I do remember

    that
    > application from early operating systems).

    Let us know how it works out.

    > Another clue just popped up. The ethernet icons disappeard sometime after

    > installed Service Pack 3 --- hmmmm. There's also something funny with
    > Immib2.dll It's there, but the system can't find it.

    I had to make a few adjustments when I installed SP3. One thing I had to do
    was to not only turn off the Windows firewall again, but I also had to
    disable its service. But, I didn't have any problem with the Ethernet
    connectors.

    Tom Rutherford, Nov 9, 2008
  14. Tony Harding

    John Doue Guest

    Tom Rutherford wrote:
    > "TKM" <> wrote in message
    >> Good questions. I'll try to reinstall via the Windows discovery process

    > and
    >> I'll take a look for something like System File Checker (I do remember

    > that
    >> application from early operating systems).

    > Let us know how it works out.
    >
    >> Another clue just popped up. The ethernet icons disappeard sometime after

    >> installed Service Pack 3 --- hmmmm. There's also something funny with
    >> Immib2.dll It's there, but the system can't find it.

    > I had to make a few adjustments when I installed SP3. One thing I had to do
    > was to not only turn off the Windows firewall again, but I also had to
    > disable its service. But, I didn't have any problem with the Ethernet
    > connectors.

    I am not sure how this could be relevant, but I do not understand why
    you would have to disable Windows Firewall service, disabling it in
    Windows Firewall is just what you need. If this setting did not stick, I
    suggest you investigate the reason. It might lead you to the source of
    the problem, since I surmise that by disabling the service, you also
    disabled other communication services like Internet connection sharing.

    --
    John Doue

    John Doue, Nov 9, 2008
  15. "John Doue" <> wrote in message
    > Tom Rutherford wrote:
    > > "TKM" <> wrote in message
    > >> Good questions. I'll try to reinstall via the Windows discovery

    process
    > > and
    > >> I'll take a look for something like System File Checker (I do remember

    > > that
    > >> application from early operating systems).

    > > Let us know how it works out.
    > >
    > >> Another clue just popped up. The ethernet icons disappeard sometime

    after
    > >> installed Service Pack 3 --- hmmmm. There's also something funny with
    > >> Immib2.dll It's there, but the system can't find it.

    > > I had to make a few adjustments when I installed SP3. One thing I had

    to do
    > > was to not only turn off the Windows firewall again, but I also had to
    > > disable its service. But, I didn't have any problem with the Ethernet
    > > connectors.
    > >

    > I am not sure how this could be relevant, but I do not understand why
    > you would have to disable Windows Firewall service, disabling it in
    > Windows Firewall is just what you need. If this setting did not stick, I
    > suggest you investigate the reason. It might lead you to the source of
    > the problem, since I surmise that by disabling the service, you also
    > disabled other communication services like Internet connection sharing.

    The only thing I'd done was to add SP3. After I did that, Windows Firewall
    refused to stay disabled. I asked about it in a newsgroup where quite a few
    of the participants are present or former Microsoft MVPs, and was advised to
    disable the Windows Firewall service. Nobody disagreed, and believe me, if
    it had been a wrong answer, someone would've disagreed in a New York minute.
    Everything else works fine.

    Tom Rutherford, Nov 11, 2008