    Thanks for any help,
    jenny
    , Jun 8, 2005

  2. Bob Knowlden Guest

    Jenny,

    Instructions for updating the BIOS:

    http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?no=541&SLanguage=en-us

    For my own system, I usually create a DOS boot floppy with the flash utility
    and the BIOS file on it. (For the P4GE-V, the flash utility is Aflash, for
    an Award BIOS). Boot the PC from the floppy, and run the flash utility from
    it. (All are available for download from support.asus.com. The latest
    version of Aflash they list for your board is 2.21.)

    If your boot partition (C:) uses NTFS, it won't ordinarily be visible from a
    DOS boot floppy, but that won't be an issue if you proceed as above.

    As an alternative, you could use the EZFlash utility, as described on the
    link above. The P4GE-V is supposed to support it. EZFlash is a utility built
    into the BIOS itself, and doesn't require a boot into any operating system.
    Basically, you unzip the new BIOS file onto an otherwise blank floppy, and
    put it in the drive. Reboot the machine, and press alt-F2 during POST (power
    on self test). That launches the EZFlash utility.

    Are you sure that you need a BIOS update? According to Asus, versions 1.02
    and later support LBA48 drives. I mention that only because a failed BIOS
    update can cause trouble. (If you must do the update, it would be wise to
    prepare a floppy containing a BIOS file that can be used by the BIOS
    recovery utility in the event of a problem.)

    Incidentally, if you haven't read this, it may be worth a look:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

    "48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000"

    Hope this helps.

    Bob Knowlden

    Bob Knowlden, Jun 8, 2005

  3. jenny Guest