Can't use 32 GB in X7DBE

Discussion in 'Supermicro' started by feenberg@nber.org, Mar 17, 2007.

  1. feenberg@nber.org

    feenberg@nber.org

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    We recently purchased a Supermicro X7DBE+ based system with 32
    gigabytes of memory, however it won't boot FC 6 (or any other 64 bit
    distribution we have at hand) if more than 24 GB is installed. The
    vendor confirms that they can reproduce the problem, and have
    asked Supermicro for fix/work-around/comment. Does anyone here have
    suggestions?

    Details:

    The boot loader loads, and starts the kernel, which dies with the
    following message:

    Kernel Panic - not syncing: Netlabel failed to initialize properly
    (-17).

    The kernel version is 2.6.18-1.2869. We have also tried 32-bit Ubuntu
    6.10 and Suse 10.1 (kernel 2.6.16). In all cases the boot loader
    functions as expected, but the kernel dies with a mysterious message.
    In the case of Suse the message is:

    kernel Panic: Unable to mount rootfs on known-block(1,0)
    [17179571.332000]

    Booting a slightly older FC6 the message is:

    Dwarf2 unwinder stuck at error_exit +0x0/0x84
    leftover inexact backtrace

    followed by a long trace.

    Daniel Feenberg
    617-588-0343
    feenberg isat nber dotte org
    feenberg@nber.org, Mar 17, 2007

  2. feenberg@nber.org

    feenberg@nber.org

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    Works in Fedora 7

    We recently upgraded the board to Fedora 7 and now it works with 32 GB.
    feenberg@nber.org, Jul 29, 2007