    Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?

    Larry
    , Dec 9, 2010

  2. Doug Guest

    On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, wrote:
    > While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
    > not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
    > itself automatically onto my desktop. I did not have the virus
    > software running as it was being updated also.
    >
    > It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
    > delete it.
    >
    > When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
    > a virus issue, I saw that it was a legit online backup service.
    >
    > Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?
    >
    > Larry

    If it is actually a genuine Carbonite installer it is highly unlikely it
    "downloaded itself."

    A much more likely scenario would be that it was an opt out option
    alongside some other download and the check-box went unnoticed. (like
    they often do with toolbars, the "would you like to download zippygood
    toolbar" and if you forget or don't notice to uncheck it you get the
    toolbar.)

    I've used Carbonite for sometime now and they seem to be a straight shooter.

    Of course any file could be named anything but, I can't say I've ever
    seen malware place itself visible on the desktop :)

    As to why it was locked from deletion who knows. Windows. Right?

    Doug, Dec 9, 2010

  3. Guest

    On Dec 9, 10:45 am, "Timothy Daniels" <> wrote:
    > "" wrote:
    > > While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
    > > not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
    > > itself automatically onto my desktop.  I did not have the virus
    > > software running as it was being updated also.

    > > It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
    > > delete it.

    > > When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
    > > a virus issue,  I saw that it was a legit online backup service.

    > > Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?

    > > Larry

    >     I dunno about the real Carbonite, but since when do virus writers
    > observe copyright laws?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    After it was downloaded a message came up and asked if I wanted a
    trial subscription. I also noticed that references to it are also
    embedded in the registry. I sent an email to the company's customer
    support asking them if they were aware of this activity. If, indeed,
    it is a new marketing strategy, I would say that it is a very invasive
    one.

    Larry
    , Dec 9, 2010
  4. Guest

    On Dec 9, 1:27 pm, Doug <> wrote:
    > On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, wrote:
    >
    > > While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
    > > not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
    > > itself automatically onto my desktop.  I did not have the virus
    > > software running as it was being updated also.

    > > It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
    > > delete it.

    > > When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
    > > a virus issue,  I saw that it was a legit online backup service.

    > > Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?

    > > Larry

    > If it is actually a genuine Carbonite installer it is highly unlikely it
    > "downloaded itself."
    >
    > A much more likely scenario would be that it was an opt out option
    > alongside some other download and the check-box went unnoticed. (like
    > they often do with toolbars, the "would you like to download zippygood
    > toolbar" and if you forget or don't notice to uncheck it you get the
    > toolbar.)
    >
    > I've used Carbonite for sometime now and they seem to be a straight shooter.
    >
    > Of course any file could be named anything but, I can't say I've ever
    > seen malware place itself visible on the desktop :)
    >
    > As to why it was locked from deletion who knows. Windows. Right?

    The message asking if I wanted a trial subscription popped up during
    the windows update. The update was not finished so there was no
    chance to opt out except when that message came up and appear the
    software was in position in several places on harddrive and in the
    registry. The invasion of registry really bothers me. It was
    embedded in several places.

    I have sent a message to the company and asked if they were aware this
    activity in their name.

    Larry
    , Dec 9, 2010
  5. Steve W. Guest

    wrote:
    > On Dec 9, 1:27 pm, Doug <> wrote:
    >> On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, wrote:
    >>
    >>> While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
    >>> not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
    >>> itself automatically onto my desktop. I did not have the virus
    >>> software running as it was being updated also.
    >>> It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
    >>> delete it.
    >>> When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
    >>> a virus issue, I saw that it was a legit online backup service.
    >>> Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?
    >>> Larry

    >> If it is actually a genuine Carbonite installer it is highly unlikely it
    >> "downloaded itself."
    >>
    >> A much more likely scenario would be that it was an opt out option
    >> alongside some other download and the check-box went unnoticed. (like
    >> they often do with toolbars, the "would you like to download zippygood
    >> toolbar" and if you forget or don't notice to uncheck it you get the
    >> toolbar.)
    >>
    >> I've used Carbonite for sometime now and they seem to be a straight shooter.
    >>
    >> Of course any file could be named anything but, I can't say I've ever
    >> seen malware place itself visible on the desktop :)
    >>
    >> As to why it was locked from deletion who knows. Windows. Right?

    > The message asking if I wanted a trial subscription popped up during
    > the windows update. The update was not finished so there was no
    > chance to opt out except when that message came up and appear the
    > software was in position in several places on harddrive and in the
    > registry. The invasion of registry really bothers me. It was
    > embedded in several places.
    >
    > I have sent a message to the company and asked if they were aware this
    > activity in their name.
    >
    > Larry

    You might want to look at what other programs you have that auto-update.
    I would bet that one of them has the Carbonite trial offer attached.

    Especially if you have it set up to look for driver and firmware updates.

    --
    Steve W.
    (\___/)
    Steve W., Dec 9, 2010
  6. Guest

    On Dec 9, 2:00 pm, "Steve W." <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    > >> If it is actually a genuine Carbonite installer it is highly unlikely it
    > >> "downloaded itself."

    > >> A much more likely scenario would be that it was an opt out option
    > >> alongside some other download and the check-box went unnoticed. (like
    > >> they often do with toolbars, the "would you like to download zippygood
    > >> toolbar" and if you forget or don't notice to uncheck it you get the
    > >> toolbar.)

    > >> I've used Carbonite for sometime now and they seem to be a straight shooter.

    > >> Of course any file could be named anything but, I can't say I've ever
    > >> seen malware place itself visible on the desktop :)

    > >> As to why it was locked from deletion who knows. Windows. Right?

    > > The message asking if I wanted a trial subscription popped up during
    > > the windows update.  The update was not finished so there was no
    > > chance to opt out except when that message came up and appear the
    > > software was in position in several places on harddrive and in the
    > > registry.  The invasion of registry really bothers me.  It was
    > > embedded in several places.

    > > I have sent a message to the company and asked if they were aware this
    > > activity in their name.

    > > Larry

    > You might want to look at what other programs you have that auto-update.
    > I would bet that one of them has the Carbonite trial offer attached.
    >
    > Especially if you have it set up to look for driver and firmware updates.
    >
    > --
    > Steve W.
    > (\___/)
    > (='.'=)
    > (")_(")

    Where would I look for that setting?

    Larry
    , Dec 9, 2010
  7. Steve W. Guest

    wrote:
    > On Dec 9, 2:00 pm, "Steve W." <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> The message asking if I wanted a trial subscription popped up during
    >>> the windows update. The update was not finished so there was no
    >>> chance to opt out except when that message came up and appear the
    >>> software was in position in several places on harddrive and in the
    >>> registry. The invasion of registry really bothers me. It was
    >>> embedded in several places.
    >>> I have sent a message to the company and asked if they were aware this
    >>> activity in their name.
    >>> Larry

    >> You might want to look at what other programs you have that auto-update.
    >> I would bet that one of them has the Carbonite trial offer attached.
    >>
    >> Especially if you have it set up to look for driver and firmware updates.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Steve W.
    >> (\___/)
    >> (='.'=)
    >> (")_(")

    > Where would I look for that setting?
    >
    > Larry

    It's part of the windows update system. The default option of fully
    automatic updates allows for updates of everything on the machine. If
    you select the option of download but ask before installing you will get
    a list of what updates are there. Then you just uncheck the ones you
    don't want.

    --
    Steve W.
    (\___/)
    Steve W., Dec 9, 2010
  8. Guest

    On Dec 9, 2:42 pm, "Steve W." <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > >> You might want to look at what other programs you have that auto-update.
    > >> I would bet that one of them has the Carbonite trial offer attached.

    > >> Especially if you have it set up to look for driver and firmware updates.

    > >> --
    > >> Steve W.
    > >> (\___/)
    > >> (='.'=)
    > >> (")_(")

    > > Where would I look for that setting?

    > > Larry

    > It's part of the windows update system. The default option of fully
    > automatic updates allows for updates of everything on the machine. If
    > you select the option of download but ask before installing you will get
    > a list of what updates are there. Then you just uncheck the ones you
    > don't want.
    >
    > --
    > Steve W.
    > (\___/)
    > (='.'=)
    > (")_(")

    Ok...I checked the update system and automatic updates was set to
    never and I never saw Carbonite listed anywhere.

    I managed to clean the Carbonite files off the harddrive with
    unlocker.exe, cleaned the registry files manually, and ran a virus
    scan with Mcafee. Wow! What an invasive piece of software! That was
    one very aggressive marketing strategy if it was the company, which
    now I am beginning to suspect it was.

    Thanks for the advice....

    Larry
    , Dec 9, 2010
  9. Guest

    On Dec 9, 1:27 pm, Doug <> wrote:
    > On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, wrote:
    >
    > > While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
    > > not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
    > > itself automatically onto my desktop.  I did not have the virus
    > > software running as it was being updated also.

    > > It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
    > > delete it.

    > > When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
    > > a virus issue,  I saw that it was a legit online backup service.

    > > Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?

    > > Larry

    > If it is actually a genuine Carbonite installer it is highly unlikely it
    > "downloaded itself."
    >
    > A much more likely scenario would be that it was an opt out option
    > alongside some other download and the check-box went unnoticed. (like
    > they often do with toolbars, the "would you like to download zippygood
    > toolbar" and if you forget or don't notice to uncheck it you get the
    > toolbar.)
    >
    > I've used Carbonite for sometime now and they seem to be a straight shooter.
    >
    > Of course any file could be named anything but, I can't say I've ever
    > seen malware place itself visible on the desktop :)
    >
    > As to why it was locked from deletion who knows. Windows. Right?

    Hi Doug...also odd that it modified the registry in several places. I
    had McAfee check the executable file before I deleted it and it did
    not detect a virus. After the windows updates was completed there was
    a Carbonite shortcut on the desktop pointing to a folder with an
    installation program in the Program directory. Unlocker could only
    unlock and delete the executable upon reboot. Several other files were
    scattered over the harddrive. I have no idea how those files got onto
    the computer, but Mcafee was apparently down when it was being
    updated. The shortcut was dated with today's date.

    I sent an email to company asking them if they were aware of any
    issues like this, but haven't heard back.

    I have been Windows user since 1987 and never had this happen.

    Larry
    , Dec 10, 2010
  10. Guest

    On Dec 9, 9:30 pm, "RnR" <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 16:26:26 -0800 (PST), ""
    >

    > <> wrote:

    > >> If it is actually a genuine Carbonite installer it is highly unlikely it
    > >> "downloaded itself."

    > >> A much more likely scenario would be that it was an opt out option
    > >> alongside some other download and the check-box went unnoticed. (like
    > >> they often do with toolbars, the "would you like to download zippygood
    > >> toolbar" and if you forget or don't notice to uncheck it you get the
    > >> toolbar.)

    > >> I've used Carbonite for sometime now and they seem to be a straight shooter.

    > >> Of course any file could be named anything but, I can't say I've ever
    > >> seen malware place itself visible on the desktop :)

    > >> As to why it was locked from deletion who knows. Windows. Right?

    > >Hi Doug...also odd that it modified the registry in several places.  I
    > >had McAfee check the executable file before I deleted it and it did
    > >not detect a virus. After the windows updates was completed there was
    > >a Carbonite shortcut on the desktop pointing to a folder with an
    > >installation program in the Program directory. Unlocker could only
    > >unlock and delete the executable upon reboot. Several other files were
    > >scattered over the harddrive.  I have no idea how those files got onto
    > >the computer, but Mcafee was apparently down when it was being
    > >updated.  The shortcut was dated with today's date.

    > >I sent an email to company asking them if they were aware of any
    > >issues like this, but haven't heard back.

    > >I have been Windows user since 1987 and never had this happen.

    > >Larry

    > As a general rule I don't do updates of any kind because I've heard
    > too many stories like this tho usually it has to do with windows
    > updates in particular.  I have people who disagree with my approach
    > but in the past I've had a working system when I went to bed only to
    > find it not working in the morning and attributed that to a windows
    > update.   You may want to check your firewall settings more closely as
    > well as restore points.  Of course frequent backups are the best
    > defense.

    Thanks for the advice I will do that...Later this evening I did a
    Windows XP update on another older Dell laptop I have. It had been
    offline for several months. The updates went flawlessly as they
    usually do.
    Larry
    , Dec 10, 2010
  11. Guest

    On Dec 10, 12:31 pm, Christopher Muto <> wrote:
    > On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, wrote:
    >
    > > While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
    > > not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
    > > itself automatically onto my desktop.  I did not have the virus
    > > software running as it was being updated also.

    > > It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
    > > delete it.

    > > When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
    > > a virus issue,  I saw that it was a legit online backup service.

    > > Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?

    > > Larry

    > the installation of carbonite on your computer is most likely the result
    > of you updating java.  recent java prompted updates include carbonite
    > installation unless you read the prompts carefully and uncheck it from
    > being installed.  historically the google toolbar was distribited along
    > with java updates, and in the last year or two the msn/bing tool bar was
    > installed along with java updates, and not carbonite or msn/bing
    > depending if you already have one or the other.  read the prompts more
    > carfully and you can avoid the installation of these optional things.
    > you should be able to see carbonite in add/remove programs.  if not then
    > reboot your computer and look again.

    Hi Christopher...There was a java update in addition to a windows and
    mcafee update. However I never saw, and I do watch the updates
    carefully, anything that would indicated that more than just java was
    being installed, let alone being able to opt out of anything. So no
    list to uncheck when java was being installed. A short cut was placed
    on my desktop that pointed to the executable installer file in the
    Program directory. The short cut generated a message telling me to
    click on it for a trial preview of the Carbonite. Of course I did not
    do that. It did not appear to me that any program was installed yet in
    spite of that fact that the registry was modified in several places.
    All very strange.

    I just got a note from Carbonite in respond to my query, they said
    that in all likely hood I clicked on a link to install it. If so
    whatever link there might have been it was invisible to me and I did
    not even have a browser open at the time.

    If I did miss something, it was well hidden from my sight.

    And besides what is the deal with a locked executable that would not
    permit me to easily delete it as well as altering the registry
    files?

    Again I would say that that is pretty aggressive and invasive
    marketing.

    But its over now and I will move on.

    Thanks for your message.

    Larry
    , Dec 10, 2010
  12. Guest

    On Dec 10, 1:02 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
    > On Dec 10, 12:31 pm, Christopher Muto <> wrote:
    >

    > > On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, wrote:

    > > > While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
    > > > not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
    > > > itself automatically onto my desktop.  I did not have the virus
    > > > software running as it was being updated also.

    > > > It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
    > > > delete it.

    > > > When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
    > > > a virus issue,  I saw that it was a legit online backup service.

    > > > Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?

    > > > Larry

    > > the installation of carbonite on your computer is most likely the result
    > > of you updating java.  recent java prompted updates include carbonite
    > > installation unless you read the prompts carefully and uncheck it from
    > > being installed.  historically the google toolbar was distribited along
    > > with java updates, and in the last year or two the msn/bing tool bar was
    > > installed along with java updates, and not carbonite or msn/bing
    > > depending if you already have one or the other.  read the prompts more
    > > carfully and you can avoid the installation of these optional things.
    > > you should be able to see carbonite in add/remove programs.  if not then
    > > reboot your computer and look again.

    > Hi Christopher...There was a java update in addition to a windows and
    > mcafee update.  However I never saw, and I do watch the updates
    > carefully, anything that would indicated that more than just java was
    > being installed, let alone being able to opt out of anything.  So no
    > list to uncheck when java was being  installed. A short cut was placed
    > on my desktop that pointed to the executable installer file in the
    > Program directory.  The short cut generated a message telling me to
    > click on it for a trial preview of the Carbonite. Of course I did not
    > do that. It did not appear to me that any program was installed yet in
    > spite of that fact that the registry was modified in several places.
    > All very strange.
    >
    > I just got a note from Carbonite in respond to my query, they said
    > that in all likely hood I clicked on a link to install it.  If so
    > whatever link there might have been it was invisible to me and I did
    > not even have a browser open at the time.
    >
    > If I did miss something, it was well hidden from my sight.
    >
    > And besides what is the deal with a locked executable that would not
    > permit me to easily delete it as well as altering the registry
    > files?
    >
    > Again I would say that that is pretty aggressive and invasive
    > marketing.
    >
    > But its over now and I will move on.
    >
    > Thanks for your message.
    >
    > Larry

    Three messages from Carbonite....then I am signing off...

    First message:
    Hello Larry and thank you for contacting Carbonite Customer Support.

    We would like to like to inform you that Carbonite is an online backup
    tool with which you can backup the data on your system on our backup
    server using the Internet connection. With this if your computer
    crashes or if you need to wipe out then you can get the backed up data
    from your system by restoring it from our servers.

    We normally advertise about our software online, you might have
    clicked on any link & it would have asked for installation. If you
    wish to check the feature and the specifications about our software
    then you can visit on our official web site www.carbonite.com.

    Please let us know if you need additional assistance.

    Second Message:
    Hello Larry and thank you for contacting Carbonite Customer Support.

    We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We do not
    send such softwares to any computer. It seems to be a malware that is
    causing this issue. As to download our free trial, customer has to
    login to our website and register with us and I have reviewed your
    email and did not find any account under your email. We request you to
    install a good Anti-virus or Anti-Spyware program to get rid of the
    program on your computer or speak to your local technician.

    Please let us know if you need additional assistance.

    Third Message:
    Hello Larry and thank you for contacting Carbonite Customer Support.

    We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We will
    definitely work on this and make sure that this does not happen again.

    Please let us know if you need additional assistance.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    So in summary:

    First they claimed I inadvertently clicked on a link

    The second memo claims you actually have to log into their website and
    register and so it must have been malware they claim

    Third message is they apologize and will make sure it will never
    happen again....

    As someone once said..."The truth is out there!" ...but well hidden...

    Cheers,

    Larry
    , Dec 10, 2010
  13. Guest

    On Dec 10, 3:45 pm, "RnR" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > >register and so it must have been malware they claim

    > >Third message is they apologize and will make sure it will never
    > >happen again....

    > >As someone once said..."The truth is out there!" ...but well hidden...

    > >Cheers,

    > >Larry

    > I know this is now a moot point but the answer to this puzzle may have
    > been in your registry prior to cleaning.  The bottom line tho is you
    > are satisfied with your cleaning so now it's more important to take
    > the necessary steps for this event if it happens again.  I posted some
    > tips earlier.   I used to have a small piece of software that used to
    > backup just my registry for XP (now using win 7 mostly) and I can't
    > tell you how many times it saved me then.  It seemed to be very
    > reliable.  I need to find similar software for windows 7 now.

    Not sure what you mean about the "answer to this puzzle may have been
    in my registry prior to cleaning." Explain?

    The older computers I have still have McAfee for protection, however I
    suspect that McAfee protection is compromised when it is being
    updating. That might be my problem.
    , Dec 10, 2010
  14. Guest

    On Dec 10, 6:55 pm, Christopher Muto <> wrote:
    > On 12/10/2010 3:02 PM, wrote:

    > >> the installation of carbonite on your computer is most likely the result
    > >> of you updating java.  recent java prompted updates include carbonite
    > >> installation unless you read the prompts carefully and uncheck it from
    > >> being installed.  historically the google toolbar was distribited along
    > >> with java updates, and in the last year or two the msn/bing tool bar was
    > >> installed along with java updates, and not carbonite or msn/bing
    > >> depending if you already have one or the other.  read the prompts more
    > >> carfully and you can avoid the installation of these optional things.
    > >> you should be able to see carbonite in add/remove programs.  if not then
    > >> reboot your computer and look again.

    > > Hi Christopher...There was a java update in addition to a windows and
    > > mcafee update.  However I never saw, and I do watch the updates
    > > carefully, anything that would indicated that more than just java was
    > > being installed, let alone being able to opt out of anything.  So no
    > > list to uncheck when java was being  installed. A short cut was placed
    > > on my desktop that pointed to the executable installer file in the
    > > Program directory.  The short cut generated a message telling me to
    > > click on it for a trial preview of the Carbonite. Of course I did not
    > > do that. It did not appear to me that any program was installed yet in
    > > spite of that fact that the registry was modified in several places.
    > > All very strange.

    > > I just got a note from Carbonite in respond to my query, they said
    > > that in all likely hood I clicked on a link to install it.  If so
    > > whatever link there might have been it was invisible to me and I did
    > > not even have a browser open at the time.

    > > If I did miss something, it was well hidden from my sight.

    > > And besides what is the deal with a locked executable that would not
    > > permit me to easily delete it as well as altering the registry
    > > files?

    > > Again I would say that that is pretty aggressive and invasive
    > > marketing.

    > > But its over now and I will move on.

    > > Thanks for your message.

    > > Larry

    > i know this group is starved for something to talk about, but you are
    > way over thinking this.  you installed carbonite with the java update.
    > the java update has an opt in default that you must uncheck if you don't
    > want the garbage that they happen to be pushing.  perhaps one of these
    > screen shots of what the java update screen will ring a bell.http://windowssecrets.com/2009/08/13/01-Sun-Apple-Microsoft-install-c...
    > uninstall it if you don't want it. or do a system restore to before you
    > installed it if you can't figure out how to uninstall it.

    Got it.. Thanks for your work!
    , Dec 11, 2010
  15. Ben Myers Guest

    On 12/10/2010 8:55 PM, Christopher Muto wrote:
    > On 12/10/2010 3:02 PM, wrote:

    >>> the installation of carbonite on your computer is most likely the result
    >>> of you updating java. recent java prompted updates include carbonite
    >>> installation unless you read the prompts carefully and uncheck it from
    >>> being installed. historically the google toolbar was distribited along
    >>> with java updates, and in the last year or two the msn/bing tool bar was
    >>> installed along with java updates, and not carbonite or msn/bing
    >>> depending if you already have one or the other. read the prompts more
    >>> carfully and you can avoid the installation of these optional things.
    >>> you should be able to see carbonite in add/remove programs. if not then
    >>> reboot your computer and look again.

    >> Hi Christopher...There was a java update in addition to a windows and
    >> mcafee update. However I never saw, and I do watch the updates
    >> carefully, anything that would indicated that more than just java was
    >> being installed, let alone being able to opt out of anything. So no
    >> list to uncheck when java was being installed. A short cut was placed
    >> on my desktop that pointed to the executable installer file in the
    >> Program directory. The short cut generated a message telling me to
    >> click on it for a trial preview of the Carbonite. Of course I did not
    >> do that. It did not appear to me that any program was installed yet in
    >> spite of that fact that the registry was modified in several places.
    >> All very strange.
    >>
    >> I just got a note from Carbonite in respond to my query, they said
    >> that in all likely hood I clicked on a link to install it. If so
    >> whatever link there might have been it was invisible to me and I did
    >> not even have a browser open at the time.
    >>
    >> If I did miss something, it was well hidden from my sight.
    >>
    >> And besides what is the deal with a locked executable that would not
    >> permit me to easily delete it as well as altering the registry
    >> files?
    >>
    >> Again I would say that that is pretty aggressive and invasive
    >> marketing.
    >>
    >> But its over now and I will move on.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your message.
    >>
    >> Larry

    > i know this group is starved for something to talk about, but you are
    > way over thinking this. you installed carbonite with the java update.
    > the java update has an opt in default that you must uncheck if you don't
    > want the garbage that they happen to be pushing. perhaps one of these
    > screen shots of what the java update screen will ring a bell.
    > http://windowssecrets.com/2009/08/13/01-Sun-Apple-Microsoft-install-chaff-with-patches
    >
    > uninstall it if you don't want it. or do a system restore to before you
    > installed it if you can't figure out how to uninstall it.

    Christopher Muto is right on target here. I was setting up a refurb
    laptop again today with Windows XP Pro. I routinely install the latest
    Java along with Acrobat Reader and the long laundry list of Windows
    updates, 'cause you can't do much without Java and you shouldn't do much
    without all the Microsoft bandaids, bubble gum and tissue paper that
    holds the house of cards together.

    Lo and behold, the Java install offered me a Carbonite free trail
    install, with the default all checked to install it. Had I not
    unchecked it, the Carbonite stuff would have found its way into the
    computer.

    EVERYBODY is offering free trials and other sneakware along with their
    own updates and installs. Even Microsoft. Ya gotta be careful with
    "Microsoft Update" compared to "Windows Update". In addition to updates
    for the real Windows software you use on your computer (e.g. Office,
    Visio, etc), you get critical updates for stuff you do not use like
    Windows Live and Sharepoint. This is the Microsoft way to con you into
    trying their software web software (Is the DOJ or EU looking into this
    monopolistic practice, tying other software to the OS?), no different
    than the Carbonite trial, the McAfee Security Scan that rides on the
    back of Acrobat Reader, or the 100 different browser toolbars. How many
    of you have ever run across a system with 5 or 6 IE toolbars squeezing
    down the real estate of the browser window itself?

    Seems like a lot of people mindlessly install updates and never bother
    to read what is also checked off for installation. So their system gets
    cluttered up with crap.

    Fortunately, CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller come to the rescue for people
    who know how to use them... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Dec 11, 2010
  16. Guest

    On Dec 11, 7:04 am, "RnR" <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:09:03 -0800 (PST), ""
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >On Dec 10, 3:45 pm, "RnR" <> wrote:

    > >> I know this is now a moot point but the answer to this puzzle may have
    > >> been in your registry prior to cleaning. The bottom line tho is you
    > >> are satisfied with your cleaning so now it's more important to take
    > >> the necessary steps for this event if it happens again. I posted some
    > >> tips earlier. I used to have a small piece of software that used to
    > >> backup just my registry for XP (now using win 7 mostly) and I can't
    > >> tell you how many times it saved me then. It seemed to be very
    > >> reliable. I need to find similar software for windows 7 now.

    > >Not sure what you mean about the "answer to this puzzle may have been
    > >in my registry prior to cleaning." Explain?

    > >The older computers I have still have McAfee for protection, however I
    > >suspect that McAfee protection is compromised when it is being
    > >updating. That might be my problem.

    > I meant that "if" it got installed with something else, maybe the path
    > might telll you something.   Of course if it installs as normal, maybe
    > not.  Another thing that "may" help is the windows event log. Actually
    > the event log might be more helpful because it would a time and date
    > sequence of events so if one gets installed with something else, I'd
    > expect the times to be almost the same.
    >
    > BTW, I agree with Ben about the Revo Uninstaller which I forgot to
    > mention.  It has helped me once or twice already so far using windows
    > 7.  Not sure if it works in XP (forgot which OS you use).  I still
    > want to find a small utility to just back up my registry.  I like
    > having redundant approaches to save myself in case one approach
    > doesn't work for whatever reason.
    >
    > If I were you, I would expect it to happen again so I would take
    > measures to try to stop or correct this event soon. Personally I like
    > the redundant approach but that's me.

    Thanks to you and Ben...This has been a "learning moment" for me. I
    usually get the old Dell 600M with windows XP out about every few
    months to do some background data processing that does not tie up my
    main laptop. Have been doing this for several years and this is the
    first time that the Carbonite thing happened. I was trying to figure
    out exactly how Carbonite deeply ingrained itself onto my hard drive
    modifying the registry files and placing a locked executable onto my
    harddrive. Christopher's post show me one possibility and in color.

    Adding to my confusion were the three Carbonite customer support
    memoes with the second one stating that the only way to get a trial
    version was to log into their website and claiming that my problem was
    with malware. I think Christopher's post might have debunked that
    second memo.

    It was news to me that "legitimate" companies were resorting to this
    kind of aggressive and invasive "gotcha" marketing strategy.

    It makes me long for the old pre-Internet days when I could data
    crunch with my Kaypro with no outside interference.

    Larry
    , Dec 11, 2010
  17. Ben Myers Guest

    On 12/11/2010 9:04 AM, RnR wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:09:03 -0800 (PST), ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Dec 10, 3:45 pm, "RnR"<> wrote:

    >>> I know this is now a moot point but the answer to this puzzle may have
    >>> been in your registry prior to cleaning. The bottom line tho is you
    >>> are satisfied with your cleaning so now it's more important to take
    >>> the necessary steps for this event if it happens again. I posted some
    >>> tips earlier. I used to have a small piece of software that used to
    >>> backup just my registry for XP (now using win 7 mostly) and I can't
    >>> tell you how many times it saved me then. It seemed to be very
    >>> reliable. I need to find similar software for windows 7 now.

    >> Not sure what you mean about the "answer to this puzzle may have been
    >> in my registry prior to cleaning." Explain?
    >>
    >> The older computers I have still have McAfee for protection, however I
    >> suspect that McAfee protection is compromised when it is being
    >> updating. That might be my problem.
    >>

    > I meant that "if" it got installed with something else, maybe the path
    > might telll you something. Of course if it installs as normal, maybe
    > not. Another thing that "may" help is the windows event log. Actually
    > the event log might be more helpful because it would a time and date
    > sequence of events so if one gets installed with something else, I'd
    > expect the times to be almost the same.
    >
    > BTW, I agree with Ben about the Revo Uninstaller which I forgot to
    > mention. It has helped me once or twice already so far using windows
    > 7. Not sure if it works in XP (forgot which OS you use). I still
    > want to find a small utility to just back up my registry. I like
    > having redundant approaches to save myself in case one approach
    > doesn't work for whatever reason.
    >
    > If I were you, I would expect it to happen again so I would take
    > measures to try to stop or correct this event soon. Personally I like
    > the redundant approach but that's me.

    Revo Uninstaller works with XP, Vista and Windows 7. Have not had
    reason to try it on a Windows 2000 computer.

    My only caveat about Revo Uninstaller is that once in a while, when
    doing the most aggressive removal of a programs, it identifies literally
    thousands of useless regsitry entries. My warning is simply not to
    remove thousands of registry entries for fear of hosing the registry.
    Once in a while it does this, but I have not quantified exactly with
    which programs it seems to get messed up. Otherwise, Revo has done well
    by me, removing often cantankerous programs, the kind that won't
    uninstall by themselves... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Dec 11, 2010
  18. Guest

    On Dec 11, 9:15 am, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > On 12/11/2010 9:04 AM, RnR wrote:
    >

    > > On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:09:03 -0800 (PST), ""
    > > <>  wrote:

    > >> Not sure what you mean about the "answer to this puzzle may have been
    > >> in my registry prior to cleaning." Explain?

    > >> The older computers I have still have McAfee for protection, however I
    > >> suspect that McAfee protection is compromised when it is being
    > >> updating. That might be my problem.

    > > I meant that "if" it got installed with something else, maybe the path
    > > might telll you something.   Of course if it installs as normal, maybe
    > > not.  Another thing that "may" help is the windows event log. Actually
    > > the event log might be more helpful because it would a time and date
    > > sequence of events so if one gets installed with something else, I'd
    > > expect the times to be almost the same.

    > > BTW, I agree with Ben about the Revo Uninstaller which I forgot to
    > > mention.  It has helped me once or twice already so far using windows
    > > 7.  Not sure if it works in XP (forgot which OS you use).  I still
    > > want to find a small utility to just back up my registry.  I like
    > > having redundant approaches to save myself in case one approach
    > > doesn't work for whatever reason.

    > > If I were you, I would expect it to happen again so I would take
    > > measures to try to stop or correct this event soon. Personally I like
    > > the redundant approach but that's me.

    > Revo Uninstaller works with XP, Vista and Windows 7.  Have not had
    > reason to try it on a Windows 2000 computer.
    >
    > My only caveat about Revo Uninstaller is that once in a while, when
    > doing the most aggressive removal of a programs, it identifies literally
    > thousands of useless regsitry entries.  My warning is simply not to
    > remove thousands of registry entries for fear of hosing the registry.
    > Once in a while it does this, but I have not quantified exactly with
    > which programs it seems to get messed up.  Otherwise, Revo has done well
    > by me, removing often cantankerous programs, the kind that won't
    > uninstall by themselves... Ben Myers

    I just noticed that they are having a holiday special half price on
    the pro version. Larry
    , Dec 11, 2010
  19. Guest

    On Dec 11, 9:36 am, "RnR" <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 11:15:43 -0500, Ben Myers <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >On 12/11/2010 9:04 AM, RnR wrote:

    > >> I meant that "if" it got installed with something else, maybe the path
    > >> might telll you something.   Of course if it installs as normal, maybe
    > >> not.  Another thing that "may" help is the windows event log. Actually
    > >> the event log might be more helpful because it would a time and date
    > >> sequence of events so if one gets installed with something else, I'd
    > >> expect the times to be almost the same.

    > >> BTW, I agree with Ben about the Revo Uninstaller which I forgot to
    > >> mention.  It has helped me once or twice already so far using windows
    > >> 7.  Not sure if it works in XP (forgot which OS you use).  I still
    > >> want to find a small utility to just back up my registry.  I like
    > >> having redundant approaches to save myself in case one approach
    > >> doesn't work for whatever reason.

    > >> If I were you, I would expect it to happen again so I would take
    > >> measures to try to stop or correct this event soon. Personally I like
    > >> the redundant approach but that's me.

    > >Revo Uninstaller works with XP, Vista and Windows 7.  Have not had
    > >reason to try it on a Windows 2000 computer.

    > >My only caveat about Revo Uninstaller is that once in a while, when
    > >doing the most aggressive removal of a programs, it identifies literally
    > >thousands of useless regsitry entries.  My warning is simply not to
    > >remove thousands of registry entries for fear of hosing the registry.
    > >Once in a while it does this, but I have not quantified exactly with
    > >which programs it seems to get messed up.  Otherwise, Revo has done well
    > >by me, removing often cantankerous programs, the kind that won't
    > >uninstall by themselves... Ben Myers

    > That's where my utility to backup the registry comes in <grin>. Thanks
    > Ben for the tip !!!

    What is the name of your XP registry backup software? Larry
    , Dec 11, 2010
  20. Guest

    On Dec 11, 9:36 am, "RnR" <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 11:15:43 -0500, Ben Myers <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >On 12/11/2010 9:04 AM, RnR wrote:

    > >> I meant that "if" it got installed with something else, maybe the path
    > >> might telll you something.   Of course if it installs as normal, maybe
    > >> not.  Another thing that "may" help is the windows event log. Actually
    > >> the event log might be more helpful because it would a time and date
    > >> sequence of events so if one gets installed with something else, I'd
    > >> expect the times to be almost the same.

    > >> BTW, I agree with Ben about the Revo Uninstaller which I forgot to
    > >> mention.  It has helped me once or twice already so far using windows
    > >> 7.  Not sure if it works in XP (forgot which OS you use).  I still
    > >> want to find a small utility to just back up my registry.  I like
    > >> having redundant approaches to save myself in case one approach
    > >> doesn't work for whatever reason.

    > >> If I were you, I would expect it to happen again so I would take
    > >> measures to try to stop or correct this event soon. Personally I like
    > >> the redundant approach but that's me.

    > >Revo Uninstaller works with XP, Vista and Windows 7.  Have not had
    > >reason to try it on a Windows 2000 computer.

    > >My only caveat about Revo Uninstaller is that once in a while, when
    > >doing the most aggressive removal of a programs, it identifies literally
    > >thousands of useless regsitry entries.  My warning is simply not to
    > >remove thousands of registry entries for fear of hosing the registry.
    > >Once in a while it does this, but I have not quantified exactly with
    > >which programs it seems to get messed up.  Otherwise, Revo has done well
    > >by me, removing often cantankerous programs, the kind that won't
    > >uninstall by themselves... Ben Myers

    > That's where my utility to backup the registry comes in <grin>. Thanks
    > Ben for the tip !!!

    What is the name of your backup program for the XP registry? Larry
    , Dec 11, 2010