    It seems the Control Centre is not essential, but is it something gr8 that
    is going to rock my world or just a 'so what' piece of software?

    , Sep 10, 2004

  2. wrote:

    > It seems the Control Centre is not essential, but is it something gr8
    > that is going to rock my world or just a 'so what' piece of software?

    It's completely unnecessary. And it won't rock your wold, unless you
    absolutely love fancy interfaces (because that's the only thing that the
    Control Center is, a fancy interface). It just slurps up a lot more memory
    than your normal control panel so why use it?

    Personally, I find the Control Center unusable -- to me it seems "messy". I
    prefer the standard interface from the standard control panel.

    =- Brian Dickens

    Brian Dickens, Sep 10, 2004

  3. Romano Cule Guest

    "Brian Dickens" <newsgroups@(remove-this-part)briandickens.demon.nl> je
    napisao u poruci interesnoj grupi:

    > It's completely unnecessary. And it won't rock your wold, unless you
    > absolutely love fancy interfaces (because that's the only thing that the
    > Control Center is, a fancy interface). It just slurps up a lot more memory
    > than your normal control panel so why use it?

    Is it take more memory when control panel is active or take memory
    whatsoewer

    Romano Cule, Sep 10, 2004
  4. Romano Cule wrote:

    > Is it take more memory when control panel is active or take memory
    > whatsoewer

    Yes, it takes up more memory... and for what? Just a fancy interface.

    =- Brian Dickens

    Brian Dickens, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Glzmo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > It seems the Control Centre is not essential, but is it something gr8 that
    > is going to rock my world or just a 'so what' piece of software?

    Catalyst Control Center is a little bit hard on the eye, very slow, takes up
    much memory, I haven't found a way to adjust OpenGL and Direct3D
    Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering Settings seperately and there don't
    seem to be any new features besides the memory clock being shown and the
    advanced smartgart option that are accessible seperately when using the
    standard control panel. Also, it sometimes stops responding when quickly
    switching through the advanced tabs and the 3D animation in the various
    settings tabs doesn't have a smooth transition when it loops, which I find
    quite annoying.
    Needless to say, I like the standard Control Panel better.

    Glzmo, Sep 10, 2004
  6. J. Clarke Guest

    remove-this-part wrote:

    > Romano Cule wrote:
    >
    >> Is it take more memory when control panel is active or take memory
    >> whatsoewer

    > Yes, it takes up more memory... and for what? Just a fancy interface.

    ATI's user interface seems to be getting more and more baroque and less and
    less useful. I set up a Matrox board for a new monitor the other
    day--there was a setting to display nice grid with circles at each
    resolution and arrows for adjusting the overscan and centering--took about
    5 minutes to set for four different resolutions. If ATI had something like
    that then all the complaints about overscan on HD would be a thing of the
    past. The thing that makes me mad is that ATI DID have that and they took
    it out.

    But that's the trend in the industry--using an artificial stupidity to
    configure things that can be configured much better manually, and then NOT
    PROVIDING A MANUAL OVERRIDE.

    And what in the name of God (geez--did I say that--I thought I was an
    atheist--maybe the computer industry is giving me a need to believe that
    there is a Hell to which such people as the designers of the
    ATI control panel are condemned, forced to try to configure video boards
    using their own software for all eternity) possessed them to use the dot
    net framework in a frigging control panel for a video board? What's next,
    web-enabling it so the kid down the street can mess with your video
    settings for you?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Sep 10, 2004
  7. Chingy Guest

    Even ATI said future release will only make this software better so less
    buggy and more features...But I agree what all of you said LOL..

    Chingy, Sep 10, 2004
  8. NoRemorse Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > It seems the Control Centre is not essential, but is it something gr8 that
    > is going to rock my world or just a 'so what' piece of software?

    I hate it. It's the interface is slow at times. On a 3.06Ghz proc with 1 gig
    of ram and a 9700 pro I find that completely unacceptable to lag in 2D. I
    also can't think of a reason why they would use the .NET framework to
    develop this... thing.

    On top of that, the new control center won't let me set my refresh rate the
    way I want it without using some tweaking software or playing with settings.
    Ok I seriously want to know who doesn't mind a 60Hz refresh on a CRT
    monitor.

    The only good thing I can think of is the promised "radiance" setting (the
    equivalent to nvidia's "digital vibrance"). It's not here yet, however.

    --
    NoRemorse
    "Expect me when you see me."

    NoRemorse, Sep 11, 2004
  9. J. Clarke Guest

    Chingy wrote:

    > Even ATI said future release will only make this software better

    For certain values of "better". Why do I have this sinking feeling that
    ATI's version of "better" bears little relation to real-world utility?

    > so less
    > buggy and more features...

    Geez, they haven't added any _useful_ features to the control panel since
    Windows 3.1. In fact they've gone a few steps backward.

    J. Clarke, Sep 12, 2004
  10. Guest

    Thanks guys, I think I'll give it a miss..... :)

    , Sep 13, 2004
  11. NoRemorse wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    perfect exemple of a concept ("Make better drivers") completly gone out
    of hand (Bloatware)

    60 Mo of download for a driver ?? come on...

    Fabrice Faury, Sep 13, 2004