Catalyst 9.5 for Windows 2000 ?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by testeur, May 31, 2009.

  1. testeur

    testeur Guest

    Hello,
    Is it possible to modify 9.5 XP drivers for installation under Windows2000.
    My system is multiboot Windows2000 / XP SP3 and I just installed an HD4770 video only supported by
    9.5 drivers, but unfortunately there no version for W2K.
    Basic VGA drivers under W2K only offer 640*480*16 resolution ! not usable at all.
    I try to change entries WINXP to WIN2K in INF file, but no succes.
    Any help welcome.
    Thanks

    Olivier

    1. Advertising

  2. testeur

    testeur Guest

    In fact, it was that I already done (mods in INI files, not INF) but when I start driver install I
    get an error message saying that there is no Video card supported by this driver version.
    I check in registry and the card has the same identifier under XP and W2K :

    Under W2K :
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94B3&SUBSYS_03101043&REV_00\4&d8b142a&0&0010]
    "DeviceDesc"="Contrôleur vidéo (compatible VGA)"
    "LocationInformation"="Bus PCI 1, périphérique 0, fonction 0"
    "Capabilities"=dword:00000000
    "UINumber"=dword:00000001

    Under WXP :
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94B3&SUBSYS_03101043&REV_00]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94B3&SUBSYS_03101043&REV_00\4&d8b142a&0&0010]
    "DeviceDesc"="ASUS EAH4770 series"
    "LocationInformation"="Bus PCI 1, périphérique 0, fonction 0"
    "Capabilities"=dword:00000000
    "UINumber"=dword:00000001

    I do not understand why the driver install does not reconizes this card under W2K

    Is there any thing to do more ?

    Olivier

    1. Advertising

  3. DrTeeth

    DrTeeth Guest

    On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:00:20 +0200, just as I was about to take a herb,
    "testeur" <olivier;> disturbed my reverie and
    wrote:

    >I do not understand why the driver install does not reconizes this card under W2K

    This site, http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ uses modified INF files to
    install nVidia drivers for cards/chipsets that they were not designed
    for. If a card is not recognised, it sounds like the info is missing
    from the INF file.

    Hope this helps and points you in the right direction.
    --

    Cheers,

    DrT

  4. testeur

    testeur Guest

    To go ahead, I have copied all registery entries related to ATI card from XP to W2K; (services,
    control, class)
    This way the card is reconized and driver is installed.
    But there is an incompatibility from this new driver and W2K kernel
    The new driver call "IoGetLowerDeviceObject" in NTOSKRNL that does not exist in W2K version.
    So I get a blue screen when the driver is loaded.
    I also try to copy VGA.SYS driver from XP to W2K, but I get the same kind of incompatibity problem
    with VIDEOPRT.SYS.

    Now, I will scan ATI download files to get the latest driver supporting W2K, and try to add HD4770
    entry in INF file to see if that works.
    What I need is only to set résolution to 1024*780*32, no need for hardware accélération.
    I you have another idea, you are welcome.

    Olivier

  5. DrTeeth

    DrTeeth Guest

    On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 23:01:59 -0400, just as I was about to take a herb,
    "First of One" <root@127.0.0.1> disturbed my reverie and wrote:

    >And yes, the HD4770 is already in the INF file:
    >"ATI Radeon HD 4770" = ati2mtag_R7X, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94B3&SUBSYS_29001682
    >"ATI Radeon HD 4770 " = ati2mtag_R7X, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94B3

    Did you type or copy this? I ask as there is a space in the second
    line after the 4770 and before the ".

    Thanks for your info.
    --

    Cheers,

    DrT

  6. testeur

    testeur Guest

    No so easy ;
    Your proposal cannot work, because if you keep ati2mtag_R7X as entry, you have to provide all
    sections related to this entry.
    I just try to use the latest ATI W2K supported driver, that is Catalyst 6.2, by adding the HD 4770
    line, and replacing ati2mtag_R7X by ati2mtag_R580 , the most recent card supported by this driver
    version.
    Install go fine, card is detected and driver installed, but after reboot driver cannot start with
    code 10. Stuck with VGA 640*480*16.

    I read in AMD/ATI web site that they have change driver interfaces since version 9.4 to take account
    of new technology for latest GPU as HD 4700 and 4800 series.
    So, It is clear for me that there is no way to retrofit any driver to work with HD4770 under W2K.

    Remark : "ATI Radeon HD 4770 " is just an external display name of the card, trailing blank is not
    meaningful.

    I always wait for someone with a solution to run basic VGA driver at 1024*728*32 resolution under
    W2K.

    Thanks

    Olivier

  7. DrTeeth

    DrTeeth Guest

    On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 22:21:18 -0400, just as I was about to take a herb,
    "First of One" <root@127.0.0.1> disturbed my reverie and wrote:

    >Remember, it takes 42 muscles to frown, and only 4 to pull the trigger...

    LOL
    --

    Cheers,

    DrT