Catch-22 from Gateway support on retail desktop warranty.

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by RMZ, Jan 4, 2008.

  1. RMZ

    RMZ Guest

    Go into any Best Buy, Frys or Circuit City and buy a new Gateway
    desktop and you'll find advertised on the box PCI Express and PCI
    slots. However once you get your new system home you'll find a foil
    seal preventing you from opening the case to make ise of these slots.

    Should you decide to break that seal and open the case for whatever
    reason ("whatever" might simply include cleaning the case of potential
    harmful dust) you'll find you've voided the manufacturers 1-year
    limited warranty.

    So this would be like Toyota pre-wiring all Civic models for GPS and
    even putting a spot in the dash, advertising the GPS "port" as a
    feature and then telling you the warranty on the car is void if you
    use this feature.

    Gateway's unreasonable and illogical terms on this make it so that the
    consumer can not even test out these ports to make sure they work
    properly, much less actually upgrade their system through them. Since
    they are advertising features on the box of the product that can not
    be used without voiding the warranty I see this as a catch-22 and
    probably a violation of some law.

    RMZ, Jan 4, 2008

  2. If that is true, Gateways policy has changed.
    The seal is for the end customer to assure the customer nothing inside
    has been tampered since the final inspection.
    Breaking the seal does not void the warranty.

    Where did you get that information?

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones, Jan 4, 2008

  3. RMZ

    CS Guest

    I saw the same sticker on a PC I bought from PC Club. This was a while
    back, before network adapters or modems were included on most models. I
    took it back, explained that I needed some way to connect to the internet,
    and was told I'd have to have their techs install anything and still keep
    the warranty. Oh, and the tech was 'busy' staring at me, so couldn't spare
    5 minutes to slap in a card, and they wouldn't let me do it under his
    supervision.

    I returned the PC on the spot, and that was the last time I went there.

    As for Gateway, they were awesome in their day, but that day is long past.
    Now they sell cheap junk, as does HP/Compaq.

    Anyway, it's unlikely damaging a sticker is going to actually void a
    warranty. In fact, Dell, and possibly others, have a program where they
    send you a replacement for a defective part, say a CD drive, and you replace
    it yourself, which would be kinda hard without cracking the case open. I
    returned my PC because I didn't like their attitude.

    As far as I can see, they aren't violating any law. They can advertise
    anything that happens to be true, and they can also require you to use their
    techs and parts for any upgrades.

    If you can't return it, remove the label, do what you have to do, then, if
    it becomes an issue, claim the label got caught in something while moving
    the computer, then badger them until they relent. Or, suck it up and buy
    the replacement part. Chances are you won't need any warranty work in a
    year anyway.

    CS

    CS, Jan 4, 2008
  4. RMZ

    RMZ Guest

    On Jan 4, 10:58 am, "Jupiter Jones" <>
    wrote:
    > If that is true, Gateways policy has changed.
    > The seal is for the end customer to assure the customer nothing inside
    > has been tampered since the final inspection.
    > Breaking the seal does not void the warranty.
    >
    > Where did you get that information?
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Joneshttp://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >
    > "RMZ" <> wrote in message

    > > Go into any Best Buy, Frys or Circuit City and buy a new Gateway
    > > desktop and you'll find advertised on the box PCI Express and PCI
    > > slots. However once you get your new system home you'll find a foil
    > > seal preventing you from opening the case to make ise of these
    > > slots.

    > > Should you decide to break that seal and open the case for whatever
    > > reason ("whatever" might simply include cleaning the case of
    > > potential
    > > harmful dust) you'll find you've voided the manufacturers 1-year
    > > limited warranty.

    > > So this would be like Toyota pre-wiring all Civic models for GPS and
    > > even putting a spot in the dash, advertising the GPS "port" as a
    > > feature and then telling you the warranty on the car is void if you
    > > use this feature.

    > > Gateway's unreasonable and illogical terms on this make it so that
    > > the
    > > consumer can not even test out these ports to make sure they work
    > > properly, much less actually upgrade their system through them.
    > > Since
    > > they are advertising features on the box of the product that can not
    > > be used without voiding the warranty I see this as a catch-22 and
    > > probably a violation of some law.

    This information came from the support rep at Gateway

    RMZ, Jan 5, 2008
  5. Call again and ask another rep
    I think that rep is misinformed.
    It would not be the first time.

    Also check your warranty documentation.
    EXACTLY what is written on the seal?

    Jupiter Jones, Jan 5, 2008
  6. RMZ

    bear Guest

    On Jan 3, 9:59 pm, RMZ <> wrote:
    > Go into any Best Buy, Frys or Circuit City and buy a new Gateway
    > desktop and you'll find advertised on the box PCI Express and PCI
    > slots. However once you get your new system home you'll find a foil
    > seal preventing you from opening the case to make ise of these slots.
    >
    > Should you decide to break that seal and open the case for whatever
    > reason ("whatever" might simply include cleaning the case of potential
    > harmful dust) you'll find you've voided the manufacturers 1-year
    > limited warranty.
    >
    > So this would be like Toyota pre-wiring all Civic models for GPS and
    > even putting a spot in the dash, advertising the GPS "port" as a
    > feature and then telling you the warranty on the car is void if you
    > use this feature.
    >
    > Gateway's unreasonable and illogical terms on this make it so that the
    > consumer can not even test out these ports to make sure they work
    > properly, much less actually upgrade their system through them. Since
    > they are advertising features on the box of the product that can not
    > be used without voiding the warranty I see this as a catch-22 and
    > probably a violation of some law.

    Although I do not believe the stated Gateway policy on the seal is as
    stated by the OP, an easy way around such nonsense is to call Gateway
    service about your fictional problem with any installed card, cd or
    dvd, or hard drive Check the rear of the computer for any card
    installed: modem, sound, video...your service agent will have you open
    the computer and re-seat the card, or check wiring to the other
    device. Problem solved as seal broken by Gateway edict...

    bear, Jan 7, 2008