CD burning

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by tholen@antispam.ham, Sep 18, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I have a Yamaha CRW-F1 that has been a very reliable CD burner until
    recently. Now I'm burning about 50 percent coasters. Here are some
    observations and questions:

    1. It appears to be far more successful at writing CD-RW media than
    CD-R media. Note that I'm using the same brand of CD-R media
    that has worked well with the Yamaha in the past. In some cases,
    I'm using media from the same batch, so I seriously doubt that
    the media is the problem.

    Q. Do CD-RW media require lower laser power than CD-R media? If so,
    then the behavior would be consistent with the laser output being
    less than normal.

    Q. Is it possible for dust accumulation on the laser lens to be
    responsible for the problem? If so, is there an easy way to
    get inside the mechanism and clean the lens?

    2. Sometimes I'll put a blank CD-R in the drive, allow it to
    initialize, and then start the burn, only for the burning
    software to immediately generate an error message and eject
    the CD. But if I then close the CD burner tray with the exact
    same CD-R media in it that just failed, it will initialize and
    then allow me to burn the entire CD.

    Q. What could cause such inconsistency?

    3. It has been suggested that one simply use a DVD burner to write
    CDs. I tried that, but the resulting CD didn't play reliably
    on as many CD players as a CD-R written on a CD burner.

    Q. Does a DVD burner create the same size pits in the recordable
    layer for both DVD and CD media? I know that DVD pits are
    almost half the size of CD pits. If the DVD burner creates
    smaller pits, then that could explain why the resulting CD is
    not as widely compatible with CD players.

    , Sep 18, 2007