    Thanks for any insights.

    Charliec

    , Feb 9, 2011

  2. Bob Villa Guest

    On Feb 9, 5:15 pm, wrote:
    > I need  a bit of advice.  I have a 48X Mas CD-RW Drive (Sony CD-RW CRX216E) in my Dim 8300
    > and am having a problem getting it to open.  I press the button and it makes sound and
    > blinks, but do not open.  I keep trying it and after a number of tries,it finally opens.
    > If I insert a cd it operates normally in using the cd, but to take it outI have to try it
    > a number of times before it will open.
    >
    > What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?
    >
    > Thanks for any insights.
    >
    > Charliec

    I had one that did the same...I replaced it. Sorry I can't offer
    anything better.

    Bob Villa, Feb 10, 2011

  3. Guest

    No problem, thanks for the input.

    >On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 17:53:39 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa <> wrote:

    >On Feb 9, 5:15 pm, wrote:
    >> I need  a bit of advice.  I have a 48X Mas CD-RW Drive (Sony CD-RW CRX216E) in my Dim 8300
    >> and am having a problem getting it to open.  I press the button and it makes sound and
    >> blinks, but do not open.  I keep trying it and after a number of tries, it finally opens.
    >> If I insert a cd it operates normally in using the cd, but to take it out I have to try it
    >> a number of times before it will open.
    >>
    >> What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any insights.
    >>
    >> Charliec

    >I had one that did the same...I replaced it. Sorry I can't offer
    >anything better.

    , Feb 10, 2011
  4. On 2/9/2011 6:15 PM, wrote:
    > I need a bit of advice. I have a 48X Mas CD-RW Drive (Sony CD-RW CRX216E) in my Dim 8300
    > and am having a problem getting it to open. I press the button and it makes sound and
    > blinks, but do not open. I keep trying it and after a number of tries, it finally opens.
    > If I insert a cd it operates normally in using the cd, but to take it out I have to try it
    > a number of times before it will open.
    >
    > What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?
    >
    > Thanks for any insights.
    >
    > Charliec

    if the drive is original to the system then it has probably failed and
    should be replaced. a replacement is only $21 so it isn't worth
    inveting a lot of time trying to troubleshoot the problem, but rather
    replace it and see if the problems goes away. here is a nice pata drive
    that burns both cds and dvds. it does not come with any software but
    your existing software should work with it just fine (at least for
    burning cds). and there is free cd/dvd burning software available.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135210
    if you have a cd stuck in your current drive then un-curl a paper clip
    and find the hole in the front of the drive for the manual ejection of
    the tray.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 10, 2011
  5. Guest

    Thanks Christopher, I will look into that - does that drive come from Dell?

    >On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:37:42 -0500, Christopher Muto <> wrote:

    >On 2/9/2011 6:15 PM, wrote:
    >> I need a bit of advice. I have a 48X Mas CD-RW Drive (Sony CD-RW CRX216E) in my Dim 8300
    >> and am having a problem getting it to open. I press the button and it makes sound and
    >> blinks, but do not open. I keep trying it and after a number of tries, it finally opens.
    >> If I insert a cd it operates normally in using the cd, but to take it out I have to try it
    >> a number of times before it will open.
    >>
    >> What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any insights.
    >>
    >> Charliec

    >if the drive is original to the system then it has probably failed and
    >should be replaced. a replacement is only $21 so it isn't worth
    >inveting a lot of time trying to troubleshoot the problem, but rather
    >replace it and see if the problems goes away. here is a nice pata drive
    >that burns both cds and dvds. it does not come with any software but
    >your existing software should work with it just fine (at least for
    >burning cds). and there is free cd/dvd burning software available.
    >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135210
    >if you have a cd stuck in your current drive then un-curl a paper clip
    >and find the hole in the front of the drive for the manual ejection of
    >the tray.

    , Feb 10, 2011
  6. Guest

    Christopher, if not from Dell, where can I get this drive that will work with the Dim
    8300?
    Thanks

    >On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 20:39:31 -0800, wrote:

    >Thanks Christopher, I will look into that - does that drive come from Dell?
    >
    >>On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:37:42 -0500, Christopher Muto <> wrote:

    >>On 2/9/2011 6:15 PM, wrote:
    >>> I need a bit of advice. I have a 48X Mas CD-RW Drive (Sony CD-RW CRX216E) in my Dim 8300
    >>> and am having a problem getting it to open. I press the button and it makes sound and
    >>> blinks, but do not open. I keep trying it and after a number of tries, it finally opens.
    >>> If I insert a cd it operates normally in using the cd, but to take it out I have to try it
    >>> a number of times before it will open.
    >>>
    >>> What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any insights.
    >>>
    >>> Charliec

    >>if the drive is original to the system then it has probably failed and
    >>should be replaced. a replacement is only $21 so it isn't worth
    >>inveting a lot of time trying to troubleshoot the problem, but rather
    >>replace it and see if the problems goes away. here is a nice pata drive
    >>that burns both cds and dvds. it does not come with any software but
    >>your existing software should work with it just fine (at least for
    >>burning cds). and there is free cd/dvd burning software available.
    >>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135210
    >>if you have a cd stuck in your current drive then un-curl a paper clip
    >>and find the hole in the front of the drive for the manual ejection of
    >>the tray.

    , Feb 10, 2011
  7. On 2/10/2011 12:07 AM, wrote:
    > Christopher, if not from Dell, where can I get this drive that will work with the Dim
    > 8300?
    > Thanks
    >
    >> On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 20:39:31 -0800, wrote:

    >> Thanks Christopher, I will look into that - does that drive come from Dell?

    >>> if the drive is original to the system then it has probably failed and
    >>> should be replaced. a replacement is only $21 so it isn't worth
    >>> inveting a lot of time trying to troubleshoot the problem, but rather
    >>> replace it and see if the problems goes away. here is a nice pata drive
    >>> that burns both cds and dvds. it does not come with any software but
    >>> your existing software should work with it just fine (at least for
    >>> burning cds). and there is free cd/dvd burning software available.
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135210
    >>> if you have a cd stuck in your current drive then un-curl a paper clip
    >>> and find the hole in the front of the drive for the manual ejection of
    >>> the tray.

    the provided link it to a vendor called newegg. they are reputable and
    very cheap. dell does not sell a replacement drive on their site, but i
    suppose you could get one after calling tech support to obtain a part
    number and then calling dell spare parts... but i am sure it will be
    three or more times the price. your system came with an optical (cd)
    drive that has what is called an ide or pata interface. most optical
    drives on the market or in stores today have a sata interface that is
    not compatible. your system could support a sata drive but it would
    mean also getting a cable, activating the port in the bios, etc... not
    worth the effort. also, installation instructions are found on
    support.dell.com then clicking on 'manuals' from the left hand column,
    selecting your machine and then selecting the 'service' manual.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 10, 2011
  8. Hi!

    > What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?

    It's a bad/slipping tray drive belt. You can replace it, since the
    speed is not terribly critical, a properly sized rubber band would do
    in a pinch. You may even have one laying around the house.

    Getting the drive apart is not too hard. Eject the tray (leave it
    out), power down, remove it from the computer, remove the bottom
    panel, be mindful of any heat dissipating pads that are on it, remove
    the front panel (pries out from the metal body, but be gentle!) and
    then the chassis will descend with a little diddling. You should be
    able to see the belt quite clearly. Move the tray a little if you need
    to. Remove, replace and put the drive back together. Screw the bottom
    back on, snap the front bezel back on, put the drive back in your
    computer and go again.

    It'll probably take you 10-15 minutes tops if you've got the rubber
    band already.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Feb 10, 2011
  9. Guest

    Christopher,

    I should have also added that I have a second drive in my system - the "8X DVD+R/RW
    Combination Drive - NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD" - would the drive on Newegg be a duplication of
    that one?

    Maybe I can just use it and ignore the other one (I'm just so active in using the other
    one).

    Thanks
    Charlie

  10. On 2/10/2011 2:14 PM, wrote:
    > Christopher,
    >
    > I should have also added that I have a second drive in my system - the "8X DVD+R/RW
    > Combination Drive - NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD" - would the drive on Newegg be a duplication of
    > that one?
    >
    > Maybe I can just use it and ignore the other one (I'm just so active in using the other
    > one).
    >
    > Thanks
    > Charlie
    >
    >> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:01:12 -0500, Christopher Muto<> wrote:

    >> On 2/10/2011 12:07 AM, wrote:
    >>> Christopher, if not from Dell, where can I get this drive that will work with the Dim
    >>> 8300?
    >>> Thanks

    >> the provided link it to a vendor called newegg. they are reputable and
    >> very cheap. dell does not sell a replacement drive on their site, but i
    >> suppose you could get one after calling tech support to obtain a part
    >> number and then calling dell spare parts... but i am sure it will be
    >> three or more times the price. your system came with an optical (cd)
    >> drive that has what is called an ide or pata interface. most optical
    >> drives on the market or in stores today have a sata interface that is
    >> not compatible. your system could support a sata drive but it would
    >> mean also getting a cable, activating the port in the bios, etc... not
    >> worth the effort. also, installation instructions are found on
    >> support.dell.com then clicking on 'manuals' from the left hand column,
    >> selecting your machine and then selecting the 'service' manual.

    your second optical drive is functionally the same as the model i
    suggested from newegg. the one from newegg is a bit faster (22x vs your
    8x) but unless you are burning discs all day it isn't that much of a
    difference. since you have the other drive i wouldn't do a thing. your
    dvdrw can do everything the defective cdrw was able to do and more (it
    also burns and reads dvds). and you don't need two drives to make a
    copy of a disc, you merely have to swap the original for the blank when
    prompted by the burning software.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 10, 2011
  11. Guest

    Thank you, Christopher, I owe you one!
    Charlie

  12. RnR Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:54:39 -0800, wrote:

    >Thank you, Christopher, I owe you one!
    >Charlie

    Just to go on step further, unless you actually need a cd or dvd, you
    can eliminate both drives and use just a virtual drive(s) instead.

    RnR, Feb 11, 2011
  13. Geoff Guest

    On 09/02/2011 23:15, wrote:
    > I need a bit of advice. I have a 48X Mas CD-RW Drive (Sony CD-RW CRX216E) in my Dim 8300
    > and am having a problem getting it to open. I press the button and it makes sound and
    > blinks, but do not open. I keep trying it and after a number of tries, it finally opens.
    > If I insert a cd it operates normally in using the cd, but to take it out I have to try it
    > a number of times before it will open.
    >
    > What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?
    >
    > Thanks for any insights.
    >
    > Charliec

    seen this in most slightly older drives these days

    sorry to say the only way to get mine to open is to hit the dam computer
    (as lightly as i can) to get em to open

    Geoff, Feb 13, 2011
  14. Anti-Steve Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 15:54:14 +0000, Geoff
    <> wrote:

    >On 09/02/2011 23:15, wrote:
    >> I need a bit of advice. I have a 48X Mas CD-RW Drive (Sony CD-RW CRX216E) in my Dim 8300
    >> and am having a problem getting it to open. I press the button and it makes sound and
    >> blinks, but do not open. I keep trying it and after a number of tries, it finally opens.
    >> If I insert a cd it operates normally in using the cd, but to take it out I have to try it
    >> a number of times before it will open.
    >>
    >> What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any insights.
    >>
    >> Charliec

    >seen this in most slightly older drives these days
    >
    >sorry to say the only way to get mine to open is to hit the dam computer
    >(as lightly as i can) to get em to open

    It's a worn loading belt on the drive tray assbly
    With new ide dvd burners available for under 25.00 shipped from newegg
    why go for the trouble to try and locate the belt?

    Anti-Steve, Feb 13, 2011
  15. Guest

    Christopher,

    I went ahead and replaced the cd drive we discussed below with the one from NewEgg. It is
    working fine - thanks for the info.

    Charliec

    >On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:54:39 -0800, wrote:

    >Thank you, Christopher, I owe you one!
    >Charlie
    >
    >>On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:30:05 -0500, Christopher Muto <> wrote:

    >>On 2/10/2011 2:14 PM, wrote:
    >>> Christopher,
    >>>
    >>> I should have also added that I have a second drive in my system - the "8X DVD+R/RW
    >>> Combination Drive - NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD" - would the drive on Newegg be a duplication of
    >>> that one?
    >>>
    >>> Maybe I can just use it and ignore the other one (I'm just so active in using the other
    >>> one).
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Charlie

    >>your second optical drive is functionally the same as the model i
    >>suggested from newegg. the one from newegg is a bit faster (22x vs your
    >>8x) but unless you are burning discs all day it isn't that much of a
    >>difference. since you have the other drive i wouldn't do a thing. your
    >>dvdrw can do everything the defective cdrw was able to do and more (it
    >>also burns and reads dvds). and you don't need two drives to make a
    >>copy of a disc, you merely have to swap the original for the blank when
    >>prompted by the burning software.

    , Feb 19, 2011
  16. On 2/19/2011 2:32 PM, wrote:
    > Christopher,
    >
    > I went ahead and replaced the cd drive we discussed below with the one from NewEgg. It is
    > working fine - thanks for the info.
    >
    > Charliec
    >
    >> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:54:39 -0800, wrote:

    >> Thank you, Christopher, I owe you one!
    >> Charlie

    >>> your second optical drive is functionally the same as the model i
    >>> suggested from newegg. the one from newegg is a bit faster (22x vs your
    >>> 8x) but unless you are burning discs all day it isn't that much of a
    >>> difference. since you have the other drive i wouldn't do a thing. your
    >>> dvdrw can do everything the defective cdrw was able to do and more (it
    >>> also burns and reads dvds). and you don't need two drives to make a
    >>> copy of a disc, you merely have to swap the original for the blank when
    >>> prompted by the burning software.

    good job getting it installed. glad that it worked out.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 20, 2011