CD-ROM and Hard Drive on Same Cable

Discussion in 'IBM' started by Watty, Jul 15, 2007.

  1. Watty

    Watty Guest

    It's been awhile since I played hook up with drives. Here's my problem. I
    have a CD-ROM drive at the end of a cable. It works fine. I thought I'd
    stick a HD in as a slave. It doesn't get detected. I made it a slave.
    However, I have no idea what the CD-ROM thinks it is--Ah, master according
    to BIOS. It looks like it has two jumpers. (What are the jumper
    possibilities for it?) It's a 56x Disc shown in BIOS as G6D M1.30. I'm
    pretty sure the cables are 48-pin. The HD is a boot disk from an older
    system, and is in a removable drive (handle on front). It seems seated and
    I'm pretty confident it's powered up, although the removable container has
    no LED. (I switched power with the CD-ROM to test it.) Is it not possible to
    put a HD on the same cable with a CD-ROM?

    The CD-ROM is on the end of it's cable. The connector at the end of the
    cable has one (center) pin missing, so I can't put the HD in it.

    I could put the HD on the same cable with my W2K boot-up HD, but the cable
    positioning is a little weird. I'd need to re-arrange the position of the
    removable drive a bit.

    “Baseball is dull only to dull minds.” -- Red Barber

    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

    Watty, Jul 15, 2007

  2. Watty

    CJT Guest

    Watty wrote:

    > It's been awhile since I played hook up with drives. Here's my problem. I
    > have a CD-ROM drive at the end of a cable. It works fine. I thought I'd
    > stick a HD in as a slave. It doesn't get detected. I made it a slave.
    > However, I have no idea what the CD-ROM thinks it is--Ah, master according
    > to BIOS. It looks like it has two jumpers. (What are the jumper
    > possibilities for it?) It's a 56x Disc shown in BIOS as G6D M1.30. I'm
    > pretty sure the cables are 48-pin. The HD is a boot disk from an older
    > system, and is in a removable drive (handle on front). It seems seated and
    > I'm pretty confident it's powered up, although the removable container has
    > no LED. (I switched power with the CD-ROM to test it.)

    Try powering both up at once.

    Is it not
    > possible to
    > put a HD on the same cable with a CD-ROM?

    It's possible.

    CJT, Jul 15, 2007

  3. Watty

    W. Watson Guest

    They are both powered up at once. There's no other way. I'm not sure how
    this helps detect whether the HD is alive. The CD drive has an LED, which
    turns on immeidately.

    --
    Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

    Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

    W. Watson, Jul 15, 2007
  4. Watty

    daytripper Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 15:19:25 GMT, Watty <> wrote:

    >It's been awhile since I played hook up with drives. Here's my problem. I
    >have a CD-ROM drive at the end of a cable. It works fine. I thought I'd
    >stick a HD in as a slave. It doesn't get detected. I made it a slave.
    >However, I have no idea what the CD-ROM thinks it is--Ah, master according
    >to BIOS. It looks like it has two jumpers. (What are the jumper
    >possibilities for it?) It's a 56x Disc shown in BIOS as G6D M1.30. I'm
    >pretty sure the cables are 48-pin. The HD is a boot disk from an older
    >system, and is in a removable drive (handle on front). It seems seated and
    >I'm pretty confident it's powered up, although the removable container has
    >no LED. (I switched power with the CD-ROM to test it.) Is it not possible to
    >put a HD on the same cable with a CD-ROM?
    >
    >The CD-ROM is on the end of it's cable. The connector at the end of the
    >cable has one (center) pin missing, so I can't put the HD in it.
    >
    >I could put the HD on the same cable with my W2K boot-up HD, but the cable
    >positioning is a little weird. I'd need to re-arrange the position of the
    >removable drive a bit.

    The jumper possibilities could include:
    Cable Detect/Not Cable Detect
    Master/Slave

    As for the cable, there's no signal on pin 20 anyway on IDE ports - it's
    supposed to be the "key" pin - so it's not surprising you have a cable without
    a crimp for that pin. You can put any properly configured ATAPI device on
    either cable connector, whether hard drive, CDROM, tape drive, whatever...

    /daytripper

    daytripper, Jul 15, 2007
  5. Watty

    W. Watson Guest

    daytripper wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 15:19:25 GMT, Watty <> wrote:
    >> It's been awhile since I played hook up with drives. Here's my problem. I
    >> have a CD-ROM drive at the end of a cable. It works fine. I thought I'd
    >> stick a HD in as a slave. It doesn't get detected. I made it a slave.
    >> However, I have no idea what the CD-ROM thinks it is--Ah, master according
    >> to BIOS. It looks like it has two jumpers. (What are the jumper
    >> possibilities for it?) It's a 56x Disc shown in BIOS as G6D M1.30. I'm
    >> pretty sure the cables are 48-pin. The HD is a boot disk from an older
    >> system, and is in a removable drive (handle on front). It seems seated and
    >> I'm pretty confident it's powered up, although the removable container has
    >> no LED. (I switched power with the CD-ROM to test it.) Is it not possible to
    >> put a HD on the same cable with a CD-ROM?
    >>
    >> The CD-ROM is on the end of it's cable. The connector at the end of the
    >> cable has one (center) pin missing, so I can't put the HD in it.
    >>
    >> I could put the HD on the same cable with my W2K boot-up HD, but the cable
    >> positioning is a little weird. I'd need to re-arrange the position of the
    >> removable drive a bit.

    > The jumper possibilities could include:
    > Cable Detect/Not Cable Detect
    > Master/Slave
    >
    > As for the cable, there's no signal on pin 20 anyway on IDE ports - it's
    > supposed to be the "key" pin - so it's not surprising you have a cable without
    > a crimp for that pin. You can put any properly configured ATAPI device on
    > either cable connector, whether hard drive, CDROM, tape drive, whatever...
    >
    > /daytripper

    Did you get started on a telescope? :) We had a very good turn out for the
    sky show Friday night. We do it again Aug. 10. Perseid meteor shower will be
    active.

    I think I'll put the HD from the slave position on the secondary controller
    onto the same position on the primary. At least, I'll know if it's getting
    power that way--no removable box to mess with.

    (I'm just trying to get data off the old boot disk.)

    W. Watson, Jul 15, 2007
  6. Watty

    CJT Guest

    W. Watson wrote:
    > They are both powered up at once. There's no other way. I'm not sure how
    > this helps detect whether the HD is alive. The CD drive has an LED,
    > which turns on immeidately.

    Next I would try taking the HD out of the carrier and attaching it
    directly. You should also be able to hear/feel it spin up.

    CJT, Jul 15, 2007
  7. Watty

    W. Watson Guest

    All is well. After moving stuff around a bit too much, I noticed I hadn't
    put the jumper back in the slave position. Solved. Unfortunately, the file
    I'm looking for was not on the old HDs.

    W. Watson, Jul 16, 2007