CD-ROM Partitions?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Albretch, Jul 11, 2004.

  1. Albretch

    Albretch Guest

    Is there (or could there be) such things as CD-ROM partitions?

    I know CD-ROMs are cheap, but having to carry a number of them around
    is still a hassle

    I am thinking about the technical possibility to burn on a CD-ROM,
    say, baseline versions of FreeBSD and Linux, with a few applications
    and multibooting it on a machine with lots of RAM (512 Mb should be
    OK).

    Of course, appropriate space will be accomodated on an extra hard
    disk for swap partitions and applications that need to write out data
    to files, or the OS should be configured to syslog via a network, . .
    ..

    Knoppix and Devil Linux do something similar, but just for an OS on a
    CD-ROM.

    Do you know of such things?

    I need to xpost because this is a no-clear-land issue.
    Albretch, Jul 11, 2004

  2. Albretch

    Michael C. Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.setup.]
    On 10 Jul 2004 20:31:21 -0700,
    Albretch <> wrote:
    > Is there (or could there be) such things as CD-ROM partitions?
    >
    > I know CD-ROMs are cheap, but having to carry a number of them around
    > is still a hassle
    >
    > I am thinking about the technical possibility to burn on a CD-ROM,
    > say, baseline versions of FreeBSD and Linux, with a few applications
    > and multibooting it on a machine with lots of RAM (512 Mb should be
    > OK).
    >
    > Of course, appropriate space will be accomodated on an extra hard
    > disk for swap partitions and applications that need to write out data
    > to files, or the OS should be configured to syslog via a network, . .
    > .
    >
    > Knoppix and Devil Linux do something similar, but just for an OS on a
    > CD-ROM.
    >
    > Do you know of such things?
    >
    > I need to xpost because this is a no-clear-land issue.

    Not a hardware issue, a Linux or BSD burning group is the place to ask.

    Pretty sure that the specs say that harddrive emulation is to be single
    partition.

    I believe Isolinux may allow you to boot multiple OSs and might allow
    you to choose options when booting, but I don't know that you could
    choose between seperate filesystems on the same CD. I don't know if
    creating a multi-session or hybird CD would allow this or not, I have my
    doubts.

    I don't know if you can buy double-sided CDs or not, but that sounds like
    the most promising avenue.

    GL & HTH,

    Michael C.
    --
    http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    I've been accused of a great many things in my time, but paranoia isn't
    one of them. Unless people have been saying it behind my back.
    Michael C., Jul 11, 2004

  3. Albretch

    David Lord Guest

    On 10 Jul, in article
    <>
    "Albretch" wrote:

    > Is there (or could there be) such things as CD-ROM partitions?
    >
    > I know CD-ROMs are cheap, but having to carry a number of them around
    > is still a hassle
    >
    > I am thinking about the technical possibility to burn on a CD-ROM,
    > say, baseline versions of FreeBSD and Linux, with a few applications
    > and multibooting it on a machine with lots of RAM (512 Mb should be
    > OK).

    I have one such here that boots one of multiple images from the one
    cd. Take a look at http://www.bootdisk.com/ and especially follow
    the link to http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

    David

    --
    The Reply-To: is valid for at least 30 days after posting date
    David Lord -
    David Lord, Jul 11, 2004
  4. Albretch

    Conny Guest

    "Albretch" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Is there (or could there be) such things as CD-ROM partitions?
    >
    > I know CD-ROMs are cheap, but having to carry a number of them around
    > is still a hassle
    >
    > I am thinking about the technical possibility to burn on a CD-ROM,
    > say, baseline versions of FreeBSD and Linux, with a few applications
    > and multibooting it on a machine with lots of RAM (512 Mb should be
    > OK).
    >
    > Of course, appropriate space will be accomodated on an extra hard
    > disk for swap partitions and applications that need to write out data
    > to files, or the OS should be configured to syslog via a network, . .
    > .
    >
    > Knoppix and Devil Linux do something similar, but just for an OS on a
    > CD-ROM.
    >
    > Do you know of such things?
    >
    > I need to xpost because this is a no-clear-land issue.

    There are multisession cd-roms, ie you can have Mac,Amiga and so on
    filesystems on the same cd-rom.
    Conny, Jul 11, 2004
  5. Albretch

    Michael C. Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.setup.]
    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:03:41 GMT,
    Conny <> wrote:

    > "Albretch" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > Is there (or could there be) such things as CD-ROM partitions?
    > >
    > > I know CD-ROMs are cheap, but having to carry a number of them around
    > > is still a hassle
    > >
    > > I am thinking about the technical possibility to burn on a CD-ROM,
    > > say, baseline versions of FreeBSD and Linux, with a few applications
    > > and multibooting it on a machine with lots of RAM (512 Mb should be
    > > OK).
    > >
    > > Of course, appropriate space will be accomodated on an extra hard
    > > disk for swap partitions and applications that need to write out data
    > > to files, or the OS should be configured to syslog via a network, . .
    > > .
    > >
    > > Knoppix and Devil Linux do something similar, but just for an OS on a
    > > CD-ROM.
    > >
    > > Do you know of such things?
    > >
    > > I need to xpost because this is a no-clear-land issue.

    > There are multisession cd-roms, ie you can have Mac,Amiga and so on
    > filesystems on the same cd-rom.

    Those are typically data CDs, not bootable. The OS determines which
    filesystem to mount, not the user. Don't know if there is a bootloader
    that understands CD sessions.

    Michael C.
    --
    http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    There's a basic human weakness inherent in all people which tempts them
    to want what they can't have and not want what is readily available to
    them. - Robert J. Ringer
    Michael C., Jul 11, 2004
  6. Albretch

    Eric Gisin Guest

    When you use El Torito HD boot emulation, there is a partition table and Int13
    drive 80h.

    In principle there could be partitions and a boot manager, although it is not
    officially supported.

    Eric Gisin, Jul 11, 2004
  7. On 10 Jul 2004 20:31:21 -0700
    (Albretch) wrote:

    > Is there (or could there be) such things as CD-ROM partitions?

    CDs have tracks, in principle you could make a bootable CD with
    a multi stage boot that allowed you to select which track to continue to
    boot from.

    --
    C:>WIN | Solar Thermal Systems
    The computer obeys and wins. | http://www.soleire.com/
    Steve O'Hara-Smith, Jul 12, 2004
  8. Albretch

    J. Clarke Guest

    Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

    > On 10 Jul 2004 20:31:21 -0700
    > (Albretch) wrote:
    >
    >> Is there (or could there be) such things as CD-ROM partitions?

    > CDs have tracks, in principle you could make a bootable CD with
    > a multi stage boot that allowed you to select which track to continue to
    > boot from.

    Actually, CDs have track. One. Finding a position along the track other
    than by reading the whole thing or seeking to an approximate position and
    then reading along to the desired point is problematical.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    J. Clarke, Jul 12, 2004