CD Writing Problem/Question

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by JE, May 31, 2007.

  1. JE

    JE Guest

    I have 4 Gateways that have the very same piece of software and cd medium
    that I am trying to use to backup digital photos to cd's. 3 of the machines
    and writers work just fine. The 4th, keeps giving me the following error
    message when I try to write to a cd even though I burn cd's through other
    programs without any problems:

    "This CD-RW format is not supported. Please insert a different disc to
    continue."

    I have moved the writer from that machine and installed it on all 3 of the
    others and it writes without any problem. The software people say it is the
    writer, but as far as I can see, the writer is not the problem. Also, all 4
    machines are running Windows Home XP sp2 and have just about the same amount
    of memory etc..

    What settings on the pc's might be different? Are there any settings to
    look at?

    Thanks!

    --
    Email no good, reply to group
    JE, May 31, 2007

  2. JE

    Ben Myers Guest

    From what you described, the problem is 1000% caused by software. So... What
    software are you using to burn CDs? Software to burn CD-RWs often requires
    some special modules or programs different from the ones used to burn CD-Rs.

    Also, please note that CD-RWs are not nearly as reliable as CD-Rs, so if you
    place high value on any data, burn it onto CD-Rs... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 31, 2007

  3. JE

    JE Guest

    I think I have boiled it down to a conflict with 2 programs that will burn
    cd's and dvd's. I removed my Pinnacle Studio Plus that is for burning dvd's
    and now the other program works. Possible conflict with the ATAPI
    interface??

    JE, May 31, 2007
  4. JE

    Ben Myers Guest

    Very likely, or very close. The low-level ATAPI CD/DVD burning interface is
    actually a minor rework of the original SCSI CD/DVD burning command set. Many
    CD/DVD burning packages hook themselves into the low-level CD/DVD burning
    software and manage to muck it up for other packages... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 31, 2007
  5. JE

    JE Guest

    Thanks Ben, guess I will have to go back to the drawing board!!

    JE, May 31, 2007