    curiosity!

    Thanks
    Paul
    Paul Jones, Jan 27, 2007

  2. Paul Jones

    philo Guest

    "Paul Jones" <prjones@spambegone> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've been installing CD/DVD reader/writer units in the PCs of friends
    > and family for a while now (easy once I'd sussed "master" and "slave"
    > ha ha) but I'm intrigued as to why sometimes they come with a tiny
    > "audio cable".
    >
    > It looks like one end goes in the unit and the other in either the
    > sound card or motherboard, but I've never used one, and it's always
    > worked ok. I asked a PC engineer once and he fobbed me off with "If it
    > works without, why worry?" which is fair enough, but I'm still eager
    > to know why they supply them.

    The cable is needed on *some* systems...
    probably depending on the software and operating system.

    I know a lot of the win98 machines I still work on need it for CD audio...

    However if it works without the cable don't worry about it
    philo, Jan 27, 2007

  3. Paul Jones

    Brian Guest

    The audio cable was required on older systems using ISA sound cards. They
    did not have the capability to get the sound data passed through the bus as
    pci cards do. The cable is no longer needed when using integrated or pci
    sound cards
    Brian, Jan 27, 2007
  4. Paul Jones

    Mike Walsh Guest

    With the older systems the CDROM drive did the digital to analog conversion and fed the analog signal directly to the sound card. This was necessary to be able to play audio CDs without the sound braking up while running applications at the same time on old slow PCs running crude OSs such as Win3.x and Win9x.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
    Mike Walsh, Jan 27, 2007
  5. Paul Jones

    DaveW Guest

    Mr. Curiosity: Good question. Prior to Windows XP the data signal from the
    CD/DVD player ran thru the ribbon cable, but the audio signal HAD to go thru
    a separate audio cable. In XP the software changed to where the data AND
    audio signals from the player both travel thru the ribbon data cable.

    --
    DaveW

    ----------------

    DaveW, Jan 27, 2007
  6. Paul Jones

    Rod Speed Guest

    DaveW <> wrote:
    > Mr. Curiosity: Good question. Prior to Windows XP the data signal
    > from the CD/DVD player ran thru the ribbon cable, but the audio
    > signal HAD to go thru a separate audio cable. In XP the software
    > changed to where the data AND audio signals from the player both
    > travel thru the ribbon data cable.

    That change happened a LONG time before XP showed up.

    Rod Speed, Jan 28, 2007