Chaintech VNF4 doesn't show anything on screen.

Discussion in 'Chaintech' started by X, Nov 9, 2005.

  1. X

    X Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I bought a Chaintech VNF4 Ultra recently, and it doesn't show anything
    on the screen. The fan's on the CPU, video card, and chipset are
    spinning, and the power light is on so I know the motherboard is
    receiving power. But it doesn't DO anything... nothing on the screen, no
    beeps, nothing.

    I'm suspecting that 4-pin connector on the motherboard? I thought only
    P4's needed that. I've also heard that it was used for extra power for
    SLI video cards. I got a 20-24pin adapter for the main power connector,
    do those things work reliably?

    Hardware:
    Chaintech VNF4
    PowerColor ATI Radeon X800 (PCIx16) (I've tried some PCI cards as well).
    AMD Athlon 3000+ (939, Venice, E3 revision)
    1 stick of 256mb pc2700 ram.

    The manual and specs say the motherboard should work with pc2700
    (166mhz), so that shouldn't be a problem. (I'll upgrade to dual channel
    pc3200 later). My question is do I need to have two sticks in dual
    channel for it to work, or is one enough to get something on the screen?
    Do I need to put the stick in a specific slot? (Right now it's in the
    one closest to the CPU)

    The manual doesn't say very much at all.

    Theres no hard disk or anything else connected (not sure what use a hard
    disk is when your computer doesn't even begin to POST)

    ...And yes, the monitor is turned on :p

    X, Nov 9, 2005

  2. X

    doGG Guest

    X <> wrote in news:E2tcf.24855$Q27.17787@trnddc02:

    <snip

    > I'm suspecting that 4-pin connector on the motherboard? <snip>

    You do need the 4 pin connector. Look on page 6 of your mb manual,(hope
    it's like mine)figure 1-4 Layout. You need to put a 4 pin in socket PW3.
    Then you will get POST!

    doGG, Nov 10, 2005

  3. X

    X Guest

    doGG wrote:
    > X <> wrote in news:E2tcf.24855$Q27.17787@trnddc02:
    >
    > <snip
    >> I'm suspecting that 4-pin connector on the motherboard? <snip>

    > You do need the 4 pin connector. Look on page 6 of your mb manual,(hope
    > it's like mine)figure 1-4 Layout. You need to put a 4 pin in socket PW3.
    > Then you will get POST!

    Thanks, it works now.

    I needed some confirmation that it was necessary before building this:

    http://dyerseve.dyndns.org:8081/000_0672.jpg

    ....because I don't want to wait a week for a real adapter to ship.

    X, Nov 10, 2005