CHALENGING HDD PROBLEM: replacing dell dimension 8400 HDD and installing drivers

Discussion in 'Dell' started by albatrizzle, Nov 14, 2007.

1. albatrizzle

albatrizzle

Hi to everyone intersted in this problem, and thanks for the helpers...

I am trying to replace a dell dimension 4800 primary HDD (c:) with another. The new hdd has windows installed allready but when i replace it where the old C drive was (cable-wise), the comp doesnt boot passed DOS. Its clearly not recognising the hdd. Im thinking the new hdd needs dell drivers, so i downloaded dells array of drivers for each system component for the 8400, but when i try to install them on the new hdd (on a separate machine by the way) i get the message 'setup could not run on this machine'. is this because dell drivers can only be installed on a dell machine.. or motherboard...? Does anyone know if i have to install the dell 'chipset' driver first followed by others... i have no idea, please if anyone knows anything would be much appreciated..

Cheers,
    albatrizzle.

albatrizzle, Nov 14, 2007
Ask a Question