Change over

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Lucky, Mar 15, 2011.

  1. Lucky

    Lucky Guest

    Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple.
    As of today, our company, which is in the graphics arts business, has
    successfully switched from all Dell computers to Apple computers.

    At one time we were operating as many as 5 Dell Computers. As of today we
    only have 1 still remaining in use. The one that I am currently on---which
    is
    primarily being used by my wife for accounting..

    My employees have all successfully made the change to Apples. From the
    comments I have been receiving, they are extremely pleased.
    The two that are doing the bulk of the graphics design on 27" IMacs say that
    the new Apples are so far superior for graphics design that it is not worth
    attempting to make comparisons. The most heard comment is "Why didn't we do
    this sooner?"

    One of them recently made the comment that as far as apparent quality is
    concerned, the IMac is far and above, a higher quality computer, in
    appearance, construction, and operation. IE, the use of the keyboard, mouse,
    track pad, and the display.

    This only Dell remaining in use is an Inspiron 1705. Since my wife is
    expressing her displeasure on an almost daily basis, it is likely she will
    be getting a new
    Mac laptop.

    Best to all of you. I sincerely hope that you have better luck and get
    better support from Dell than I have for the last couple of years.

    Lucky
    Lucky, Mar 15, 2011

  2. Lucky

    BillW50 Guest

    On 3/15/2011 2:28 PM, Lucky wrote:
    > Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple.
    > As of today, our company, which is in the graphics arts business, has
    > successfully switched from all Dell computers to Apple computers...

    Pick the applications that you want to run and then pick the OS that
    will run them. Pretty simple, eh?

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era)
    BillW50, Mar 15, 2011

  3. Lucky

    Rich Guest

    "Lucky" <> wrote in message
    > Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple.
    > As of today, our company, which is in the graphics arts business, has
    > successfully switched from all Dell computers to Apple computers.
    >
    > At one time we were operating as many as 5 Dell Computers. As of today we
    > only have 1 still remaining in use. The one that I am currently on---which
    > is
    > primarily being used by my wife for accounting..
    >
    > My employees have all successfully made the change to Apples. From the
    > comments I have been receiving, they are extremely pleased.
    > The two that are doing the bulk of the graphics design on 27" IMacs say
    > that the new Apples are so far superior for graphics design that it is not
    > worth
    > attempting to make comparisons. The most heard comment is "Why didn't we
    > do this sooner?"
    >
    > One of them recently made the comment that as far as apparent quality is
    > concerned, the IMac is far and above, a higher quality computer, in
    > appearance, construction, and operation. IE, the use of the keyboard,
    > mouse, track pad, and the display.
    >
    > This only Dell remaining in use is an Inspiron 1705. Since my wife is
    > expressing her displeasure on an almost daily basis, it is likely she will
    > be getting a new
    > Mac laptop.
    >
    > Best to all of you. I sincerely hope that you have better luck and get
    > better support from Dell than I have for the last couple of years.
    >
    > Lucky

    I think it is common knowledge going back 25 years that Apple owned the
    commercial graphics design niche. Among the general public it only emerged
    in 2007 from minority cult status with their renewal through the
    "I-Everything" revolution. I am a PC person but that revolution was genius.

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5956 (20110315) __________

    http://www.eset.com
    Rich, Mar 15, 2011
  4. Lucky

    powrwrap Guest

    > On Mar 15, 4:41 pm, "Rich" <> wrote:

    > I think it is common knowledge going back 25 years that Apple owned the
    > commercial graphics design niche.

    Indeed. Back in the 80's when I was working in the physical sciences,
    MacIntoshes were derisively referred to as "electronic crayons."
    powrwrap, Mar 15, 2011
  5. Lucky

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Mar 15, 2:28 pm, "Lucky" <> wrote:
    > Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple.
    > As of today, our company, which is in the graphics arts business, has
    > successfully switched from all Dell computers to Apple computers.
    >
    > At one time we were operating as many as 5 Dell Computers. As of today we
    > only have 1 still remaining in use. The one that I am currently on---which
    > is
    > primarily being used by my wife for accounting..
    >
    > My employees have all successfully made the change to Apples.  From the
    > comments I have been receiving, they are extremely pleased.
    > The two that are doing the bulk of the graphics design on 27" IMacs say that
    > the new Apples are so far superior for graphics design that it is not worth
    > attempting to make comparisons. The most heard comment is "Why didn't we do
    > this sooner?"
    >
    > One of them recently made the comment  that as far as apparent quality is
    > concerned, the IMac is far and above,  a higher quality computer, in
    > appearance, construction, and operation. IE, the use of the keyboard, mouse,
    > track pad, and the display.
    >
    > This only Dell remaining in use is an Inspiron 1705. Since my wife is
    > expressing her displeasure on an almost daily basis, it is likely she will
    > be getting a new
    > Mac laptop.
    >
    > Best to all of you. I sincerely hope that you have better luck and get
    > better support from Dell than I have for the last couple of years.
    >
    > Lucky

    As someone has said these are average reliability computers that are
    over-priced...and can run Mac-Ro-Soft.
    Bob Villa, Mar 16, 2011
  6. Lucky

    Bob Levine Guest

    On 3/15/2011 3:28 PM, Lucky wrote:
    > Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple.
    > As of today, our company, which is in the graphics arts business, has
    > successfully switched from all Dell computers to Apple computers.
    >
    > At one time we were operating as many as 5 Dell Computers. As of today
    > we only have 1 still remaining in use. The one that I am currently
    > on---which is
    > primarily being used by my wife for accounting..
    >
    > My employees have all successfully made the change to Apples. From the
    > comments I have been receiving, they are extremely pleased.
    > The two that are doing the bulk of the graphics design on 27" IMacs say
    > that the new Apples are so far superior for graphics design that it is
    > not worth
    > attempting to make comparisons. The most heard comment is "Why didn't we
    > do this sooner?"
    >
    > One of them recently made the comment that as far as apparent quality is
    > concerned, the IMac is far and above, a higher quality computer, in
    > appearance, construction, and operation. IE, the use of the keyboard,
    > mouse, track pad, and the display.
    >
    > This only Dell remaining in use is an Inspiron 1705. Since my wife is
    > expressing her displeasure on an almost daily basis, it is likely she
    > will be getting a new
    > Mac laptop.
    >
    > Best to all of you. I sincerely hope that you have better luck and get
    > better support from Dell than I have for the last couple of years.
    >
    > Lucky

    Care to give the specs of the machines you're comparing? A new 27" iMac
    is going to have a Core i5 or Core i7 processor and at least 4 gigs of
    RAM. Comparing that to an older Dell is simply an unfair comparison.

    And just for the record, I don't really care. I've said over and over
    again people should use what they like and feel most comfortable with.
    I'm a graphic design professional myself. I prefer working on Windows 7
    over Snow Leopard but I have a MacBook for clients on Mac.

    I find it funny that the things you specified, "keyboard, mouse, track
    pad and display" have NOTHING to do at all with the computer itself. I
    happen to despise Mac keyboards. They're too small and so totally
    unergonomic as to be unusable. But I will admit, they look pretty.

    The mice they supply now are also highly advanced in looks but if these
    folks are using InDesign they might run into some scrolling problems.

    Finally, these are NEW Macs. Come on back in 6-10 months and let us know
    how you're getting on. That will be real test.

    Bob
    Bob Levine, Mar 16, 2011
  7. Lucky

    RnR Guest

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 12:28:04 -0700, "Lucky" <>
    wrote:

    >Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple.
    >As of today, our company, which is in the graphics arts business, has
    >successfully switched from all Dell computers to Apple computers.
    >
    >At one time we were operating as many as 5 Dell Computers. As of today we
    >only have 1 still remaining in use. The one that I am currently on---which
    >is
    >primarily being used by my wife for accounting..
    >
    >My employees have all successfully made the change to Apples. From the
    >comments I have been receiving, they are extremely pleased.
    >The two that are doing the bulk of the graphics design on 27" IMacs say that
    >the new Apples are so far superior for graphics design that it is not worth
    >attempting to make comparisons. The most heard comment is "Why didn't we do
    >this sooner?"
    >
    >One of them recently made the comment that as far as apparent quality is
    >concerned, the IMac is far and above, a higher quality computer, in
    >appearance, construction, and operation. IE, the use of the keyboard, mouse,
    >track pad, and the display.
    >
    >This only Dell remaining in use is an Inspiron 1705. Since my wife is
    >expressing her displeasure on an almost daily basis, it is likely she will
    >be getting a new
    >Mac laptop.
    >
    >Best to all of you. I sincerely hope that you have better luck and get
    >better support from Dell than I have for the last couple of years.
    >
    >Lucky

    Lucky, glad all is well. Apparently nothing new here as many years
    ago, I heard graphic artists prefered Apple then. With this said,
    I'm surprised you didn't read this also. I do agree with the other
    poster tho, pick your apps first then pick your OS or system to run
    it. So you goofed and cost yourself money. Personally I like Dell
    because I don't use their support and if I need support, I find plenty
    right here with a great bunch of people (ok, most of them) !!!
    Actually I've been pretty lucky with Dell overall ... not perfect but
    good enough for me to be a repeat customer.

    In closing, glad you found what works best for you.
    RnR, Mar 16, 2011
  8. Lucky

    Daddy Guest

    Lucky wrote:
    > Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple....

    Who cares. You were just looking for an argument.

    Daddy
    Daddy, Mar 16, 2011
  9. Lucky

    Von Fourche Guest

    "Lucky" <> wrote in message
    > Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple.
    > As of today, our company, which is in the graphics arts business, has
    > successfully switched from all Dell computers to Apple computers.
    >
    > At one time we were operating as many as 5 Dell Computers. As of today we
    > only have 1 still remaining in use. The one that I am currently on---which
    > is
    > primarily being used by my wife for accounting..

    I have two Dell computers but I want to buy Final Cut Pro. What kind of
    Mac should I buy to run Final Cut Pro
    good? I want to edit miniDV and HD video.
    Von Fourche, Mar 16, 2011
  10. Lucky

    Bob Levine Guest

    On 3/16/2011 7:13 PM, Von Fourche wrote:

    > I have two Dell computers but I want to buy Final Cut Pro. What kind of
    > Mac should I buy to run Final Cut Pro
    > good? I want to edit miniDV and HD video.

    The 27" iMacs are nice. If you're going to be doing a lot of video you
    might want to up the standard 4 gigs of RAM to 8 gigs.

    Bob
    Bob Levine, Mar 16, 2011
  11. Lucky

    Von Fourche Guest

    "Bob Levine" <> wrote in message
    > On 3/15/2011 3:28 PM, Lucky wrote:
    >> Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple.
    >> As of today, our company, which is in the graphics arts business, has
    >> successfully switched from all Dell computers to Apple computers.
    >>
    >> At one time we were operating as many as 5 Dell Computers. As of today
    >> we only have 1 still remaining in use. The one that I am currently
    >> on---which is
    >> primarily being used by my wife for accounting..
    >>
    >> My employees have all successfully made the change to Apples. From the
    >> comments I have been receiving, they are extremely pleased.
    >> The two that are doing the bulk of the graphics design on 27" IMacs say
    >> that the new Apples are so far superior for graphics design that it is
    >> not worth
    >> attempting to make comparisons. The most heard comment is "Why didn't we
    >> do this sooner?"
    >>
    >> One of them recently made the comment that as far as apparent quality is
    >> concerned, the IMac is far and above, a higher quality computer, in
    >> appearance, construction, and operation. IE, the use of the keyboard,
    >> mouse, track pad, and the display.
    >>
    >> This only Dell remaining in use is an Inspiron 1705. Since my wife is
    >> expressing her displeasure on an almost daily basis, it is likely she
    >> will be getting a new
    >> Mac laptop.
    >>
    >> Best to all of you. I sincerely hope that you have better luck and get
    >> better support from Dell than I have for the last couple of years.
    >>
    >> Lucky
    >>

    > Care to give the specs of the machines you're comparing? A new 27" iMac is
    > going to have a Core i5 or Core i7 processor and at least 4 gigs of RAM.
    > Comparing that to an older Dell is simply an unfair comparison.
    >
    > And just for the record, I don't really care. I've said over and over
    > again people should use what they like and feel most comfortable with. I'm
    > a graphic design professional myself. I prefer working on Windows 7 over
    > Snow Leopard but I have a MacBook for clients on Mac.

    As a graphic design professional do you run into people using video
    editing programs like Final Cut Pro or Avid or
    Adobe Premier Pro? I'm trying to figure out which one I should try to
    master once I decide to do that.
    Von Fourche, Mar 17, 2011
  12. Lucky

    Bob Levine Guest

    On 3/17/2011 12:57 AM, Von Fourche wrote:

    > As a graphic design professional do you run into people using video
    > editing programs like Final Cut Pro or Avid or
    > Adobe Premier Pro? I'm trying to figure out which one I should try to
    > master once I decide to do that.

    My focus is on web, print and now publishing to tablets. If I need video
    I hire someone so I really can't help too much there. For the record I
    am an Adobe Community Professional and a Certified Expert in InDesign so
    I have a prejudice toward Adobe products and the one thing they have
    going for them is total cross platform compatibility.

    That's something you won't generally get with Apple software.

    Bob
    Bob Levine, Mar 17, 2011