Changing an old @mac.com AppleID?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by BreadWithSpam@fractious.net, Oct 19, 2011.

  1. Guest

    I'm getting mixed messages from Apple about this.

    My AppleID is quite old. It's one of the @mac.com ones.
    I can use the equivalent @me.com one and it works identically.

    But I'd rather that the ID were my real e-mail address.

    Apple seems to be claiming here that if you don't have
    a @me.com or @mac.com e-mail address as your AppleID you
    can just go ahead and change your AppleID online. But
    if you do have one of those, there is no option to change it.

    (verified - unlike what you see on this page:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HE40
    when I go, there is no Edit button near my AppleID)

    However, on this page http://support.apple.com/kb/HE37
    they say the following:

    Apple recommends you change your Apple ID to your current,
    working email address. This will not create another Apple ID, it
    will only change it to your working email address. See How to
    change the name you use for your Apple ID if you'd like more
    information.

    Note: @mac.com and @me.com Apple IDs can not be renamed. If you no
    longer use the .mac or .me email address, be sure to update your
    Apple ID information with your current, preferred email address

    So I'm not following that last note. I can't change it, so what
    are they trying to tell me to do here?

    I mean, okay, it's not a big deal. I've never used my
    @mac.com or @me.com address for anything whatsoever other
    than Apple anyway. But it's a bit annoying.

    What am I missing here?

    , Oct 19, 2011

  2. Alan Browne Guest

    I now have my account under my main e-mail, @me.com and @mac.com
    addresses. For that matter I think I have two @me.coms...

    --
    gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
    Alan Browne, Oct 19, 2011

  3. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Apple seems to be claiming here that if you don't have
    > a @me.com or @mac.com e-mail address as your AppleID you
    > can just go ahead and change your AppleID online. But
    > if you do have one of those, there is no option to change it.
    >
    > (verified - unlike what you see on this page:
    > http://support.apple.com/kb/HE40
    > when I go, there is no Edit button near my AppleID)

    It's not a button, just a link consisting of the word "Edit".

    When you go to that page, do you see the "Add Email Address" link near the
    bottom? Try using that to add your real email address. If that works, see if
    it'll let you choose it as your "Primary Email Address".

    > However, on this page http://support.apple.com/kb/HE37
    > they say the following:

    [...]
    > Note: @mac.com and @me.com Apple IDs can not be renamed. If you no
    > longer use the .mac or .me email address, be sure to update your
    > Apple ID information with your current, preferred email address
    >
    > So I'm not following that last note. I can't change it, so what
    > are they trying to tell me to do here?

    I believe it means you can't change your *Apple ID*, but you can change the
    *email address* associated with that Apple ID.
    Wayne C. Morris, Oct 20, 2011