    series and 3000 series. Would I still need to uninstall the drivers before
    switching cards?

    JB
    Guest, Jun 12, 2009

  2. Guest

    Augustus Guest

    "<JB>" <> wrote in message
    news:pHgYl.1669$...
    >I now have installed ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP, but want to replace it
    >with
    > my HD 3850 AGP. They both have the same Catalyst driver suite for the
    > 2000
    > series and 3000 series. Would I still need to uninstall the drivers
    > before
    > switching cards?
    >
    > JB

    I switched my 8800GT to a GTX 260 without doing anything other than pulling
    one and sticking the other in the slot. This was 4 months back or so on the
    Windows 7 Beta. I've done same thing with a 9600GT and 8800GTX on another
    box with XP SP3. I've done the same thing while back with a 9800 Pro and an
    X1650 Pro AGP card. Windows simply recognized the device and kept running
    normally on startup. Now whether or not that's a recommended procedure is
    another thing. There's plenty of times I've unistalled and reinstalled the
    driver when switching cards but usually if the card is of the same family
    and the drivers are the same for both it's easier and faster to yank and
    switch.
    Augustus, Jun 12, 2009

  3. <JB> wrote:
    > I now have installed ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP, but want to replace it with
    > my HD 3850 AGP. They both have the same Catalyst driver suite for the 2000
    > series and 3000 series. Would I still need to uninstall the drivers before
    > switching cards?
    >
    > JB

    You shouldn't have any problems. When I purchased a 3870 last year it
    failed after about a week and I had to send the card in and wait for a
    replacement. In the meantime I just plugged in a 2600 and everything
    worked fine. When the replacement card came I just plugged it in and
    haven't touched anything since.
    Michael W. Ryder, Jun 12, 2009
  4. Guest

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <PHgYl.1669$> "<JB>"
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >I now have installed ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP, but want to replace it with
    >my HD 3850 AGP. They both have the same Catalyst driver suite for the 2000
    >series and 3000 series. Would I still need to uninstall the drivers before
    >switching cards?

    In short, no.

    Windows will automatically detect and use the correct driver, that part
    isn't a problem. When you're changing manufacturers or switching to
    cards that need different drivers from the same manufacturer then you
    need to uninstall and reinstall to get the new driver, but in this case,
    both ATI and nVidia have a fairly unified platform, so you can just let
    Windows load the appropriate drivers for the hardware you actually have
    installed at any given moment.
    DevilsPGD, Jun 12, 2009
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Augustus" <> wrote in message

    "<JB>" <> wrote in message
    >I now have installed ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP, but want to replace it
    >with
    > my HD 3850 AGP. They both have the same Catalyst driver suite for the
    > 2000
    > series and 3000 series. Would I still need to uninstall the drivers
    > before
    > switching cards?
    >
    > JB

    "I switched my 8800GT to a GTX 260 without doing anything other than pulling
    one and sticking the other in the slot. This was 4 months back or so on the
    Windows 7 Beta. I've done same thing with a 9600GT and 8800GTX on another
    box with XP SP3. I've done the same thing while back with a 9800 Pro and an
    X1650 Pro AGP card. Windows simply recognized the device and kept running
    normally on startup. Now whether or not that's a recommended procedure is
    another thing. There's plenty of times I've unistalled and reinstalled the
    driver when switching cards but usually if the card is of the same family
    and the drivers are the same for both it's easier and faster to yank and
    switch. "

    Thanks a lot for that info. I'll give it a try.

    JB
    Guest, Jun 12, 2009
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Michael W. Ryder" <> wrote in message
    <JB> wrote:
    > I now have installed ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP, but want to replace it
    > with
    > my HD 3850 AGP. They both have the same Catalyst driver suite for the
    > 2000
    > series and 3000 series. Would I still need to uninstall the drivers
    > before
    > switching cards?
    >
    > JB

    "You shouldn't have any problems. When I purchased a 3870 last year it
    failed after about a week and I had to send the card in and wait for a
    replacement. In the meantime I just plugged in a 2600 and everything
    worked fine. When the replacement card came I just plugged it in and
    haven't touched anything since".

    Thank you, Michael. Will try it in the morning

    JB
    Guest, Jun 12, 2009
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "DevilsPGD" <> wrote in message
    In message <PHgYl.1669$> "<JB>"
    <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >I now have installed ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro AGP, but want to replace it
    >with
    >my HD 3850 AGP. They both have the same Catalyst driver suite for the 2000
    >series and 3000 series. Would I still need to uninstall the drivers before
    >switching cards?

    "In short, no.

    Windows will automatically detect and use the correct driver, that part
    isn't a problem. When you're changing manufacturers or switching to
    cards that need different drivers from the same manufacturer then you
    need to uninstall and reinstall to get the new driver, but in this case,
    both ATI and nVidia have a fairly unified platform, so you can just let
    Windows load the appropriate drivers for the hardware you actually have
    installed at any given moment".

    Thanks for your reply. Both cards are ATI, and use the same driver suit.

    JB
    Guest, Jun 12, 2009
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the information. I had the 9.4 hotfix, now I've got the 9.5.

    Thanks

    JB

    "First of One" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    It depends... The HD2600 AGP was an ATi reference design, the HD3850 AGP was
    not. Not all drivers advertised to work on 3000 series cards will work with
    the HD3850 AGP.

    I suggest you download and extract this driver to a folder on your hard disk
    before proceeding with the swap.
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPHotfix.aspx

    Guest, Jun 12, 2009