Channel 9 Tablet PC Videos (Recap)

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Christopher Coulter, May 22, 2004.

  1. Channel 9 Video Recap, all in one in case missed any. And more to come, a
    demo of ArtRage and some of the Asian character reco...

    What's cool about the upcoming Tablet PC software?
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=7603#7603
    "Peter Loforte, general manager of the Tablet PC team, shows us what is
    cool about the upcoming Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 software update
    (code-named "Lonestar") This is a free update and will automatically come
    with the upcoming Windows XP Service Pack 2."

    Is the Tablet PC technology good enough for using the pen only?
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=7724
    "One of the questions the Tablet PC team gets a lot is "is it really ready
    to use with only a pen?" Robert Williams is the executive in charge of
    working with OEM partners. He does a lot of market research, and gathers
    feedback from OEMs and customers and knows just how hard it is to get
    people to give up the keyboard, and talks about some of those challenges
    here."

    New Tablet PC powertoy under development
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=7859
    "Susan Cameron, group product manager, for the Tablet PC group, shows off
    a yet-to-be-released PowerToy for the Tablet PC that converts all the
    fonts used on the desktop to your own handwriting -- she also shows off
    why the Tablet PC is better for people who are left handed."

    What language/tool did you use to write the Tablet PC's drivers?
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=7855
    "Michael Tsang is a software design engineer on the Tablet PC team. What
    does that mean? He's the guy who wrote the driver software for the
    digitizer. He also wrote the software that handles what happens when you
    push on the buttons on the Tablet PC (like the ones that make your page
    scroll up or down)."

    What is the most suprising thing you've seen a Tablet PC used for?
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=7720
    "Hot tubs? Coffee holders? Burt Parker is the OEM Product Manager on the
    Tablet PC team and he shares the most interesting things he's seen a
    Tablet PC used for."

    The Tablet PC has changed my life (in bed)
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=8248
    "It's not often that you get a general manager at Microsoft to admit that
    he brings his computer to bed. But that's not the only way the Tablet PC
    has changed his life, in this video he explains how the form factor of the
    Tablet PC has enabled him to use a computer in places and ways that he
    never was able to before."

    How does Tablet PC's digitizer work?
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=8237
    "Michael Tsang is the guy who writes the drivers for the Tablet PC's
    digitizer, so if there's one guy who really knows how it works, it's him."

    Christopher Coulter, May 22, 2004

  2. Christopher Coulter

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Mickey Segal, May 22, 2004

  3. Hi Mickey,
    I personally asked OQO the same question at CES this year. They told me
    that they did not have customers asking for Windows XP, Tablet PC Edition on
    their device. They said it would work if someone asked for it.

    --
    Chris De Herrera
    http://www.cewindows.net

    Chris De Herrera, May 24, 2004
  4. Christopher Coulter

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Chris De Herrera" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Mickey,
    > I personally asked OQO the same question at CES this year. They told me
    > that they did not have customers asking for Windows XP, Tablet PC Edition

    on
    > their device. They said it would work if someone asked for it.

    If a company waits until customers ask for it, the company may not start
    preparations until the new version of Tablet XP is released. This is why
    things take years to happen without visionary leadership.

    If I were calling the shots for the OQO or for the tiny Sony computer
    running non-tablet XP (http://www.engadget.com/entry/4351469713524447/) I
    would include tablet XP, at least 800 x 600 resolution, 802.11 g support,
    and easy docking. Such a device will be a real winner.

    Mickey Segal, May 24, 2004
  5. In article <e8$>,
    says...
    > Hi Mickey,
    > I personally asked OQO the same question at CES this year. They told me
    > that they did not have customers asking for Windows XP, Tablet PC Edition on
    > their device. They said it would work if someone asked for it.

    Dude, that is what people always say at expos. Translation: They haven't
    tried it. They don't have the time or money to really get certified to
    the Tablet PC spec's. And they probably don't even know that just any old
    PC with a touch screen will not work with Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

    Grant Robertson, May 24, 2004
  6. Christopher Coulter

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Grant Robertson" <> wrote in message
    > Dude, that is what people always say at expos. Translation: They haven't
    > tried it. They don't have the time or money to really get certified to
    > the Tablet PC spec's. And they probably don't even know that just any old
    > PC with a touch screen will not work with Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

    Is Microsoft making it too difficult to get certified for Tablet XP? Or are
    the requirements not very difficult and the hardware companies are just
    lacking in vision?

    I think a major problem is that the hardware companies didn't see much
    difference between Tablet XP and the ritePen software. For the first
    version of Tablet XP, this was a defensible position. Seeing this video it
    seems that this position is no longer defensible - Microsoft is making a big
    push to improve pen input and integrate it into the operating system.

    This year people are saying that Microsoft is doing such a bad job that they
    aren't any better than the competition. I will not be surprised if soon
    people are claiming that Microsoft is doing such a good job that they are
    competing unfairly.

    Mickey Segal, May 24, 2004
  7. In article <OTE5#>,
    says...
    > Is Microsoft making it too difficult to get certified for Tablet XP? Or are
    > the requirements not very difficult and the hardware companies are just
    > lacking in vision?

    I couldn't tell you, for sure. Maybe somebody else here does know. Keep
    in mind that any certification process of this magnitude is going to be
    expensive. Not just with the payments to the certifying body. But
    primarily with the research and development it takes to get to the point
    where you are certifiable.

    Grant Robertson, May 25, 2004
  8. Christopher Coulter

    > I couldn't tell you, for sure. Maybe somebody else here does know. Keep
    > in mind that any certification process of this magnitude is going to be
    > expensive. Not just with the payments to the certifying body. But
    > primarily with the research and development it takes to get to the point
    > where you are certifiable.

    I understand there are some hardware requirements for Tablet XP, involving
    special buttons being present. One could imagine such a thing slowing the
    ability of some companies to contract for hardware production, but it should
    not stop companies such as Sony:
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/4351469713524447/

    Mickey Segal, May 25, 2004