    / _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
    No Good Deed -
    Goes Unpunished

    ps56k, Mar 12, 2011

  2. ps56k

    BillW50 Guest

    On 3/12/2011 2:32 PM, ps56k wrote:
    > Our son forgot his charger for his Dell M1210 laptop.
    > Anyone know the specific size dimensions
    > for the round barrel connector for this charger ?

    If you are thinking about supplying the correct current and voltage,
    that won't work too well. This model like many Dell models has a ROM
    chip (a third wire in the plug - center pin) inside of the AC adapter.

    This ROM has nothing to do with the AC adapter itself. Although the
    laptop reads it before it passes the self test. And without the ROM, the
    best you can hope for is it might power the laptop, but the battery
    won't charge. At worst, it won't do anything at all.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era)

    BillW50, Mar 13, 2011

  3. "ps56k" <> wrote in message
    > Our son forgot his charger for his Dell M1210 laptop.
    > Anyone know the specific size dimensions
    > for the round barrel connector for this charger ?

    Take a look here: http://tinyurl.com/47nbkvc

    For just a few dollars you can get a battery charger made for his Dell
    M1210. Choose a vendor in your state, e-mail them and ask if they can rush
    one out. I don't know anything about a rom chip inside, but I bought three
    such "after-market" laptop battery chargers for my Dell for $9 ea and they
    work just fine. He should get some backups and leave one with you!

    Also, call around to a few computer supply stores, like a Fry's Electronics.
    They may carry replacement chargers.

    Radio Shack has a universal charger that is supposed to work with many
    different laptops but it costs $65:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11278738.

    --
    Peter Greenstein
    http://www.wakefieldjazz.com/

    Peter Greenstein, Mar 13, 2011
  4. "ps56k" wrote:
    > Our son forgot his charger for his Dell M1210 laptop.
    > Anyone know the specific size dimensions
    > for the round barrel connector for this charger ?

    Here's a power adapter for an XPS M1210 for $25
    that the seller in New Jersey claims is a Dell part:
    http://laptopsparesonline.com/product_dell-65w-ac-adapter-p26526.html

    I have had very good experience with Power Brixx
    in North Carolina - good prices and genuine Dell parts -
    but their website seems to be undergoing maintenance
    at the moment: www.PowerBrixx.com

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Mar 13, 2011
  5. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    "ps56k" <> wrote in message
    > Our son forgot his charger for his Dell M1210 laptop.
    > Anyone know the specific size dimensions
    > for the round barrel connector for this charger ?

    tnx - I think this time he'll just have to make due without for the week,
    using the others around the house,
    and we'll get a backup charger later to just have around....

    ps56k, Mar 14, 2011