Cheap GSM/GPRS/EDGE modem ?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Mike, Jun 26, 2012.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a GSM etc modem module like eg the ublox Leon but they
    seem really expensive at €80+ for a sample. I already have a tcp
    stack so don't really need that to be built into the modem so can
    anyone tell me whare I can find an economical aklternative that
    doesn't haev a built in stack ?

    Thanks,

    Mike

    1. Advertising

  2. steve

    steve Guest

    On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:20:55 PM UTC+1, Mike wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a GSM etc modem module like eg the ublox Leon but they
    > seem really expensive at €80+ for a sample. I already have a tcp
    > stack so don't really need that to be built into the modem so can
    > anyone tell me whare I can find an economical aklternative that
    > doesn't haev a built in stack ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    Wismo 228 comes in at around $30 dollars (£16)(Sierra wireless)and has a tcp stack.

    1. Advertising

  3. In article <dd18b761-62c8-48b1-8d70-
    >,
    says...

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a GSM etc modem module like eg the ublox Leon but they
    > seem really expensive at ¤80+ for a sample. I already have a tcp
    > stack so don't really need that to be built into the modem so can
    > anyone tell me whare I can find an economical aklternative that
    > doesn't haev a built in stack ?

    Check out this $50 module at Sparkfun Electronics:

    http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10138

    Mark Borgerson

  4. Guest

    On Jun 26, 9:20 am, Mike <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a GSM etc modem module like eg the ublox Leon but they
    > seem really expensive at €80+ for a sample.  I already have a tcp
    > stack so don't really need that to be built into the modem so can
    > anyone tell me whare I can find an economical aklternative that
    > doesn't haev a built in stack ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    The modules from SIMCOM are fairly low price. The SIM900B lists for
    $17.89 USD in single quantity.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/478080059-SIMCOM-gsm-gprs-module-sim900b-wholesalers.html
    I haven't used them personally (I've only used Wavecom and Telit) but
    I've seen them used in several other products and they appear to work
    reliably without any issues.

  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    > The modules from SIMCOM are fairly low price. The SIM900B lists for
    > $17.89 USD in single quantity.http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/478080059-SIMCOM-gsm-gprs-module...
    > I haven't used them personally (I've only used Wavecom and Telit) but
    > I've seen them used in several other products and they appear to work
    > reliably without any issues.

    That's a bit more like it !

    Thanks for that,

    Mike

  6. hemo

    hemo Guest

    Mike, another alternative is QUECTEL: M10, M85, M95 Modules
    www.quectel.com
    I heard that they are 10% cheaper than SIMCOM.
    I haven't used them.