    I know electricity, but very little about electronics.

    Would continuity between the hot and neutral positively tell you if
    the fuse is good on a power supply for a computer?
    Terry, Jul 23, 2007

  2. Terry

    KG Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:40:51 -0700, Terry <> wrote:

    >I know electricity, but very little about electronics.
    >
    >Would continuity between the hot and neutral positively tell you if
    >the fuse is good on a power supply for a computer?

    *****************
    Thank You

    To reply to this email please remove the AT
    after the kGb in the reply to address as shown above.
    KG, Jul 23, 2007

  3. Terry

    KG Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:40:51 -0700, Terry <> wrote:

    >I know electricity, but very little about electronics.
    >
    >Would continuity between the hot and neutral positively tell you if
    >the fuse is good on a power supply for a computer?

    NO, At what ohm value? Are you looking back at the power supply with it not connected, or are you
    just checking between any ground and a connection ovenware on the + power? A backcitcuit, high
    resistance, or bad ground on the power be checked may cause the same indication. How good and what
    type of meter is being used?
    *****************

    KG, Jul 23, 2007
  4. Terry

    Terry Guest

    On Jul 23, 7:37 am, KG <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:40:51 -0700, Terry <> wrote:
    > >I know electricity, but very little about electronics.

    > >Would continuity between the hot and neutral positively tell you if
    > >the fuse is good on a power supply for a computer?

    > NO, At what ohm value? Are you looking back at the power supply with it not connected, or are you
    > just checking between any ground and a connection ovenware on the + power? A backcitcuit, high
    > resistance, or bad ground on the power be checked may cause the same indication. How good and what
    > type of meter is being used?
    > *****************
    > Thank You
    >
    > To reply to this email please remove the AT
    > after the kGb in the reply to address as shown above.

    Take the measurments at the back of the computer with the power cord
    unplugged. The tester could be as simple as a test light. Contunity
    means a complete current path.

    I was talking about putting each lead of the ohm meter on the power
    supply terminals that connect to the power cord. There are 3 "stabs"
    on the power supply. The hot, neutral and ground.

    I looked at a couple of schematics after I posted the message. It
    shows the first thing on the primary side of the transformer circuit
    is a fuse. It is wired in series at the hot stab of the power
    supply. The way I see it, you would never get continuity between hot
    and neutral if the fuse is bad.

    Of course continuity does not guarantee that the power supply is good,
    but I think it would 100% tell you if the fuse is good. No?

    Thank you for your time
    Terry, Jul 23, 2007