    meaningful to install it at a time well after the Windows installation?

    Thanks,
    Harvey
    Harvey Gratt, Dec 11, 2011

  2. Harvey Gratt

    BillW50 Guest

    On 12/11/2011 12:34 PM, Harvey Gratt wrote:
    > A general laptop question (I have an E6320):
    >
    > Dell periodically releases chipset software under their software
    > downloads. I had always thought this software needed to be installed
    > first when installing Windows (i.e, bridge drivers, provide inf files
    > for other subsequent component driver installs as to motherboard
    > capabilities). So, what does this updated software actually do and is it
    > meaningful to install it at a time well after the Windows installation?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Harvey

    Well I can see why they say to install the chipset drivers first before
    others. First, Windows can dump the slow generic chipset drivers right
    away with no extra features. So that is pretty important.

    And my other educated guess for a second reason is that I can see some
    complex drivers might install differently based on the chipset in use.
    And without the chipset driver being already being installed, the other
    driver install might not install the correct parts of the driver.

    Now having said all of this, I have purposely done it all wrong. As I
    was curious how bad could it get? And to be frank, I never found any
    difference yet. As all of my experiments, they have always been stable
    in the end.

    The only thing I didn't look at very well was the speed of the system.
    And that might be a problem when you did it wrong. As I remember
    purposely installing the chipset driver last with three of my Alienware
    laptops. And if I hibernate them, they take twice as long as my Gateway
    M465 machines do. But there are so many differences between the two
    models that this might be normal. Something I should recheck again. ;-)

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0
    BillW50, Dec 11, 2011

  3. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    BillW50 wrote:
    > On 12/11/2011 12:34 PM, Harvey Gratt wrote:
    >> A general laptop question (I have an E6320):
    >>
    >> Dell periodically releases chipset software under their software
    >> downloads. I had always thought this software needed to be installed
    >> first when installing Windows (i.e, bridge drivers, provide inf files
    >> for other subsequent component driver installs as to motherboard
    >> capabilities). So, what does this updated software actually do and is it
    >> meaningful to install it at a time well after the Windows installation?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Harvey

    > Well I can see why they say to install the chipset drivers first before
    > others. First, Windows can dump the slow generic chipset drivers right
    > away with no extra features. So that is pretty important.
    >
    > And my other educated guess for a second reason is that I can see some
    > complex drivers might install differently based on the chipset in use.
    > And without the chipset driver being already being installed, the other
    > driver install might not install the correct parts of the driver.
    >
    > Now having said all of this, I have purposely done it all wrong. As I
    > was curious how bad could it get? And to be frank, I never found any
    > difference yet. As all of my experiments, they have always been stable
    > in the end.
    >
    > The only thing I didn't look at very well was the speed of the system.
    > And that might be a problem when you did it wrong. As I remember
    > purposely installing the chipset driver last with three of my Alienware
    > laptops. And if I hibernate them, they take twice as long as my Gateway
    > M465 machines do. But there are so many differences between the two
    > models that this might be normal. Something I should recheck again. ;-)

    I guess the real question is whether, by installing the new chipset
    software (CS), the other system drivers will somehow "update themselves"
    to provide potentially enhanced performance and/or the CS update
    provides new functionality for the north/south bridges.

    If not, what is the point of installing the new CS?

    Thanks,
    Harvey
    Harvey Gratt, Dec 11, 2011
  4. Harvey Gratt

    BillW50 Guest

    On 12/11/2011 1:27 PM, Harvey Gratt wrote:
    > BillW50 wrote:
    >> On 12/11/2011 12:34 PM, Harvey Gratt wrote:
    >>> A general laptop question (I have an E6320):
    >>>
    >>> Dell periodically releases chipset software under their software
    >>> downloads. I had always thought this software needed to be installed
    >>> first when installing Windows (i.e, bridge drivers, provide inf files
    >>> for other subsequent component driver installs as to motherboard
    >>> capabilities). So, what does this updated software actually do and is it
    >>> meaningful to install it at a time well after the Windows installation?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Harvey

    >> Well I can see why they say to install the chipset drivers first before
    >> others. First, Windows can dump the slow generic chipset drivers right
    >> away with no extra features. So that is pretty important.
    >>
    >> And my other educated guess for a second reason is that I can see some
    >> complex drivers might install differently based on the chipset in use.
    >> And without the chipset driver being already being installed, the other
    >> driver install might not install the correct parts of the driver.
    >>
    >> Now having said all of this, I have purposely done it all wrong. As I
    >> was curious how bad could it get? And to be frank, I never found any
    >> difference yet. As all of my experiments, they have always been stable
    >> in the end.
    >>
    >> The only thing I didn't look at very well was the speed of the system.
    >> And that might be a problem when you did it wrong. As I remember
    >> purposely installing the chipset driver last with three of my Alienware
    >> laptops. And if I hibernate them, they take twice as long as my Gateway
    >> M465 machines do. But there are so many differences between the two
    >> models that this might be normal. Something I should recheck again. ;-)
    >>

    > I guess the real question is whether, by installing the new chipset
    > software (CS), the other system drivers will somehow "update themselves"
    > to provide potentially enhanced performance and/or the CS update
    > provides new functionality for the north/south bridges.
    >
    > If not, what is the point of installing the new CS?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Harvey

    Well I am positive (and I should have mentioned this too) that without
    the chipset driver(s), anything that has anything to do with ACPI is
    dead in the water.

    This controls and turns over such tasks like power management, the
    multiprocessor support and the Plug and Play support over the the OS to
    handle instead of the BIOS. Even those hotkeys on laptops are controlled
    by the ACPI.

    Ah... so you are wondering later when there is a newer chipset driver
    version, now what, right? Yes, I would think it would be perfectly ok to
    install it after everything else is all said and done. As everything
    already knows what chipset you are using now anyway.

    Of course, you know that any changes to the OS has a chance of going
    wrong and your OS could become totally corrupt, right? Yes somewhat
    rare, but it can happen nonetheless. So if you are not willing to
    reinstall everything over from scratch again in case this rare event
    actually occurs. Then either clone your drive or make a system backup.

    BillW50, Dec 11, 2011
  5. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    BillW50 wrote:
    > On 12/11/2011 1:27 PM, Harvey Gratt wrote:
    >> BillW50 wrote:

    >>> Well I can see why they say to install the chipset drivers first before
    >>> others. First, Windows can dump the slow generic chipset drivers right
    >>> away with no extra features. So that is pretty important.
    >>>
    >>> And my other educated guess for a second reason is that I can see some
    >>> complex drivers might install differently based on the chipset in use.
    >>> And without the chipset driver being already being installed, the other
    >>> driver install might not install the correct parts of the driver.
    >>>
    >>> Now having said all of this, I have purposely done it all wrong. As I
    >>> was curious how bad could it get? And to be frank, I never found any
    >>> difference yet. As all of my experiments, they have always been stable
    >>> in the end.
    >>>
    >>> The only thing I didn't look at very well was the speed of the system.
    >>> And that might be a problem when you did it wrong. As I remember
    >>> purposely installing the chipset driver last with three of my Alienware
    >>> laptops. And if I hibernate them, they take twice as long as my Gateway
    >>> M465 machines do. But there are so many differences between the two
    >>> models that this might be normal. Something I should recheck again. ;-)
    >>>

    >> I guess the real question is whether, by installing the new chipset
    >> software (CS), the other system drivers will somehow "update themselves"
    >> to provide potentially enhanced performance and/or the CS update
    >> provides new functionality for the north/south bridges.
    >>
    >> If not, what is the point of installing the new CS?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Harvey

    > Well I am positive (and I should have mentioned this too) that without
    > the chipset driver(s), anything that has anything to do with ACPI is
    > dead in the water.
    >
    > This controls and turns over such tasks like power management, the
    > multiprocessor support and the Plug and Play support over the the OS to
    > handle instead of the BIOS. Even those hotkeys on laptops are controlled
    > by the ACPI.
    >
    > Ah... so you are wondering later when there is a newer chipset driver
    > version, now what, right? Yes, I would think it would be perfectly ok to
    > install it after everything else is all said and done. As everything
    > already knows what chipset you are using now anyway.
    >
    > Of course, you know that any changes to the OS has a chance of going
    > wrong and your OS could become totally corrupt, right? Yes somewhat
    > rare, but it can happen nonetheless. So if you are not willing to
    > reinstall everything over from scratch again in case this rare event
    > actually occurs. Then either clone your drive or make a system backup.

    Sounds like what your are saying is the risk may not be worth the
    possible benefits since it's not clear that any of the other installed
    drivers would be updated.

    Thanks,
    Harvey
    Harvey Gratt, Dec 11, 2011
  6. Harvey Gratt

    Pen Guest

    On 12/11/2011 3:19 PM, Harvey Gratt wrote:
    > BillW50 wrote:

    >>> I guess the real question is whether, by installing the
    >>> new chipset
    >>> software (CS), the other system drivers will somehow
    >>> "update themselves"
    >>> to provide potentially enhanced performance and/or the CS
    >>> update
    >>> provides new functionality for the north/south bridges.
    >>>
    >>> If not, what is the point of installing the new CS?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Harvey

    >> Well I am positive (and I should have mentioned this too)
    >> that without
    >> the chipset driver(s), anything that has anything to do
    >> with ACPI is
    >> dead in the water.
    >>
    >> This controls and turns over such tasks like power
    >> management, the
    >> multiprocessor support and the Plug and Play support over
    >> the the OS to
    >> handle instead of the BIOS. Even those hotkeys on laptops
    >> are controlled
    >> by the ACPI.
    >>
    >> Ah... so you are wondering later when there is a newer
    >> chipset driver
    >> version, now what, right? Yes, I would think it would be
    >> perfectly ok to
    >> install it after everything else is all said and done. As
    >> everything
    >> already knows what chipset you are using now anyway.
    >>
    >> Of course, you know that any changes to the OS has a
    >> chance of going
    >> wrong and your OS could become totally corrupt, right? Yes
    >> somewhat
    >> rare, but it can happen nonetheless. So if you are not
    >> willing to
    >> reinstall everything over from scratch again in case this
    >> rare event
    >> actually occurs. Then either clone your drive or make a
    >> system backup.o>>

    > Sounds like what your are saying is the risk may not be
    > worth the possible benefits since it's not clear that any of
    > the other installed drivers would be updated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Harvey

    Dell provides a description of all the driver updates. Have
    you checked that. It may just be a simple update to
    solve a small problem. In that case no other updates would
    be required.
    Pen, Dec 11, 2011
  7. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Their description does not really explain what's going on nor does it
    explicitly state that any "problem" would be fixed. I'm just trying to
    get an understading as to what/how CS updates work.

    Thanks,
    Harvey
    Harvey Gratt, Dec 11, 2011
  8. Harvey Gratt

    BillW50 Guest

    On 12/11/2011 2:19 PM, Harvey Gratt wrote:
    > BillW50 wrote:

    >>> I guess the real question is whether, by installing the new chipset
    >>> software (CS), the other system drivers will somehow "update themselves"
    >>> to provide potentially enhanced performance and/or the CS update
    >>> provides new functionality for the north/south bridges.
    >>>
    >>> If not, what is the point of installing the new CS?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Harvey

    >> Well I am positive (and I should have mentioned this too) that without
    >> the chipset driver(s), anything that has anything to do with ACPI is
    >> dead in the water.
    >>
    >> This controls and turns over such tasks like power management, the
    >> multiprocessor support and the Plug and Play support over the the OS to
    >> handle instead of the BIOS. Even those hotkeys on laptops are controlled
    >> by the ACPI.
    >>
    >> Ah... so you are wondering later when there is a newer chipset driver
    >> version, now what, right? Yes, I would think it would be perfectly ok to
    >> install it after everything else is all said and done. As everything
    >> already knows what chipset you are using now anyway.
    >>
    >> Of course, you know that any changes to the OS has a chance of going
    >> wrong and your OS could become totally corrupt, right? Yes somewhat
    >> rare, but it can happen nonetheless. So if you are not willing to
    >> reinstall everything over from scratch again in case this rare event
    >> actually occurs. Then either clone your drive or make a system backup.
    >>

    > Sounds like what your are saying is the risk may not be worth the
    > possible benefits since it's not clear that any of the other installed
    > drivers would be updated.

    Well no not exactly. As most updates work just fine and most work
    without any incident. Thus why many people will willy-nilly install all
    updates without question.

    But unlike most people including most experts... I say wait a minute. If
    an update doesn't offer you a feature you want or doesn't offer a fix
    that would fix your problem, then why install it?

    As the majority of updates does contain fixes, but 99% of the time it
    doesn't apply to your system. And some updates does contain new
    features, but they might not even be important to you at all. So
    frankly, why bother?

    But what I am really saying is that installing an update from a reliable
    source is probably like 99% chance that everything will go well. On the
    other hand, it is also like a 99% chance that it offers you nothing
    different than what you already had. ;-)

    P.S. I just saw Pen's post and I agree with him as well. ;-)

    BillW50, Dec 11, 2011
  9. Harvey Gratt

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Dec 11, 2:15 pm, BillW50 <> wrote:
    > On 12/11/2011 12:34 PM, Harvey Gratt wrote:
    >
    > > A general laptop question (I have an E6320):

    > > Dell periodically releases chipset software under their software
    > > downloads. I had always thought this software needed to be installed
    > > first when installing Windows (i.e, bridge drivers, provide inf files
    > > for other subsequent component driver installs as to motherboard
    > > capabilities). So, what does this updated software actually do and is it
    > > meaningful to install it at a time well after the Windows installation?

    > > Thanks,
    > > Harvey

    > Well I can see why they say to install the chipset drivers first before
    > others. First, Windows can dump the slow generic chipset drivers right
    > away with no extra features. So that is pretty important.
    >
    > And my other educated guess for a second reason is that I can see some
    > complex drivers might install differently based on the chipset in use.
    > And without the chipset driver being already being installed, the other
    > driver install might not install the correct parts of the driver.
    >
    > Now having said all of this, I have purposely done it all wrong. As I
    > was curious how bad could it get? And to be frank, I never found any
    > difference yet. As all of my experiments, they have always been stable
    > in the end.
    >
    > The only thing I didn't look at very well was the speed of the system.
    > And that might be a problem when you did it wrong. As I remember
    > purposely installing the chipset driver last with three of my Alienware
    > laptops. And if I hibernate them, they take twice as long as my Gateway
    > M465 machines do. But there are so many differences between the two
    > models that this might be normal. Something I should recheck again. ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0
    > Centrino Core2 Duo 2GHz - 1.5GB - Windows 7

    Let's not guess here.

    If you install drivers for other hardware before you install
    motherboard chipset drivers, the other hardware is not likely to work
    correctly. Why? Because the other hardware drivers have a dependency
    on the chipset drivers, being able to find the right serpetine path
    through Windows to get to the bare iron to talk to the hardware.

    If the non-chipset hardware happens to work correctly even though the
    chipset drivers were not installed, this probably means that Windows
    has chipset drivers out of the box, built into the install CD or DVD.
    One can always look at the device status in Device Manager to see
    which devices are fully operational. Yellow exclamation points and
    red X's are a no-no.

    Install chipset drivers first, then other hardware drivers. It is
    that simple. No guesswork... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Dec 21, 2011
  10. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Let's not guess here.
    >
    > If you install drivers for other hardware before you install
    > motherboard chipset drivers, the other hardware is not likely to work
    > correctly. Why? Because the other hardware drivers have a dependency
    > on the chipset drivers, being able to find the right serpetine path
    > through Windows to get to the bare iron to talk to the hardware.
    >
    > If the non-chipset hardware happens to work correctly even though the
    > chipset drivers were not installed, this probably means that Windows
    > has chipset drivers out of the box, built into the install CD or DVD.
    > One can always look at the device status in Device Manager to see
    > which devices are fully operational. Yellow exclamation points and
    > red X's are a no-no.
    >
    > Install chipset drivers first, then other hardware drivers. It is
    > that simple. No guesswork... Ben Myers

    OP here. I understand all of what you say. But the question is, given
    that updated chipset software is available, is it meaningful to install

    Harvey Gratt, Dec 21, 2011
  11. Harvey Gratt

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Harvey Gratt, Dec 21, 2011
  12. Harvey Gratt

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 10:53:47 -0600, Harvey Gratt <>
    wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> Let's not guess here.
    >>
    >> If you install drivers for other hardware before you install
    >> motherboard chipset drivers, the other hardware is not likely to work
    >> correctly. Why? Because the other hardware drivers have a dependency
    >> on the chipset drivers, being able to find the right serpetine path
    >> through Windows to get to the bare iron to talk to the hardware.
    >>
    >> If the non-chipset hardware happens to work correctly even though the
    >> chipset drivers were not installed, this probably means that Windows
    >> has chipset drivers out of the box, built into the install CD or DVD.
    >> One can always look at the device status in Device Manager to see
    >> which devices are fully operational. Yellow exclamation points and
    >> red X's are a no-no.
    >>
    >> Install chipset drivers first, then other hardware drivers. It is
    >> that simple. No guesswork... Ben Myers

    >OP here. I understand all of what you say. But the question is, given
    >that updated chipset software is available, is it meaningful to install
    >it at a time well after the Windows installation?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Harvey

    That depends on what the update fixes. If the fix doesn't apply to
    you or you think you have no benefit from it, no need to do it. I
    don't know if all updates show the fixes but I've seen some that do
    list them.

    And if you are worried about doing an update after the fact, don't be.
    RnR, Dec 22, 2011
  13. Harvey Gratt

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Dec 22, 12:54 am, "RnR" <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 10:53:47 -0600, Harvey Gratt <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Ben Myers wrote:
    > >> Let's not guess here.

    > >> If you install drivers for other hardware before you install
    > >> motherboard chipset drivers, the other hardware is not likely to work
    > >> correctly.  Why?  Because the other hardware drivers have a dependency
    > >> on the chipset drivers, being able to find the right serpetine path
    > >> through Windows to get to the bare iron to talk to the hardware.

    > >> If the non-chipset hardware happens to work correctly even though the
    > >> chipset drivers were not installed, this probably means that Windows
    > >> has chipset drivers out of the box, built into the install CD or DVD.
    > >> One can always look at the device status in Device Manager to see
    > >> which devices are fully operational.  Yellow exclamation points and
    > >> red X's are a no-no.

    > >> Install chipset drivers first, then other hardware drivers.  It is
    > >> that simple.  No guesswork... Ben Myers

    > >OP here. I understand all of what you say. But the question is, given
    > >that updated chipset software is available, is it meaningful to install
    > >it at a time well after the Windows installation?

    > >Thanks,
    > >Harvey

    > That depends on what the update fixes.  If the fix doesn't apply to
    > you or you think you have no benefit from it, no need to do it.  I
    > don't know if all updates show the fixes but I've seen some that do
    > list them.
    >
    > And if you are worried about doing an update after the fact, don't be.

    Intel issues updates to its chipset drivers for two reasons: to add
    support for new chipsets and to fix problems with the drivers. Their
    track record has been very good and there are rarely any fixes. Even
    if there were, Intel does not document them well, except maybe if they
    are truly showstoppers.

    Bottom line is that it won't hurt to apply the latest chipset drivers,
    but it may have no effect whatsoever... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Dec 24, 2011
  14. Harvey Gratt

    RnR Guest

    On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 11:00:34 -0800 (PST), Ben Myers
    <> wrote:

    >On Dec 22, 12:54 am, "RnR" <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 10:53:47 -0600, Harvey Gratt <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >OP here. I understand all of what you say. But the question is, given
    >> >that updated chipset software is available, is it meaningful to install
    >> >it at a time well after the Windows installation?

    >> >Thanks,
    >> >Harvey

    >> That depends on what the update fixes.  If the fix doesn't apply to
    >> you or you think you have no benefit from it, no need to do it.  I
    >> don't know if all updates show the fixes but I've seen some that do
    >> list them.
    >>
    >> And if you are worried about doing an update after the fact, don't be.

    >Intel issues updates to its chipset drivers for two reasons: to add
    >support for new chipsets and to fix problems with the drivers. Their
    >track record has been very good and there are rarely any fixes. Even
    >if there were, Intel does not document them well, except maybe if they
    >are truly showstoppers.
    >
    >Bottom line is that it won't hurt to apply the latest chipset drivers,
    >but it may have no effect whatsoever... Ben Myers

    Agreed. I have seen some listed fixes tho in the past Ben. I
    normally don't bother to do this myself unless I feel the need to and
    that's why I don't keep up to date with this stuff. I realize you may
    deal with this more often than myself.
    RnR, Dec 25, 2011