    I'd like to get it going, but although I've built and repaired lots
    of desktops I lack experience with laptops.

    Any advice would be welcome.

    nick, Jan 8, 2010

  2. nick

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hi7sjl$sh3$-september.org,
    nick typed on Fri, 8 Jan 2010 18:13:17 +0000 (UTC):
    > I've been given one of these that is dead.
    >
    > When you press the power button the power light flashes green once and
    > that's it. No fans, no disk, no screen, nothing.
    >
    > With a charger plugged in the battery light shows green i.e. it
    > thinks the battery is fully charged.
    >
    > Checked the battery with a meter and it looks good.
    >
    > I guess it's either a power supply fault or something dragging one of
    > the power rails down.
    >
    > I'd like to get it going, but although I've built and repaired lots
    > of desktops I lack experience with laptops.
    >
    > Any advice would be welcome.

    Hi Nick! It is the same as a desktop. Start pulling devices out, like
    the hard drive, optical drive, memory, WiFi, etc. With any luck, it will
    be one of them.

    Say does it act the same running from the battery alone? Did you also
    try running it on AC with the battery removed?

    Is there a reset hole anywhere? Careful, if it has a built-in mic, don't
    use a paperclip in the mic hole. As you would puncher the mic. And
    pressing the reset is usually done without AC and the battery. Press on
    hold and also press and hole the power button for 30 seconds or so. Then
    give it a shot.

    If all of this fails... it is either the AC adapter or the motherboard
    most likely.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

    BillW50, Jan 8, 2010

  3. nick

    nick Guest

    Hi Bill, thanks for your useful reply. Please see update below.

    BillW50 wrote:
    > Hi Nick! It is the same as a desktop. Start pulling devices out, like
    > the hard drive, optical drive, memory, WiFi, etc. With any luck, it will
    > be one of them.

    Well it turned out that the hard disk was U/S, but I think there's a
    charging problem.

    > Say does it act the same running from the battery alone? Did you also
    > try running it on AC with the battery removed?

    Yes. It won't run on AC with the battery removed, perhaps because I
    don't have the right adapter. Tried to run it from a bench supply good
    for 15V at 4A, or 19V at 1A.

    > Is there a reset hole anywhere?

    Can't find any reset. The only reset mentioned in the manual is the one
    for the BIOS settings.

    > If all of this fails... it is either the AC adapter or the motherboard
    > most likely.

    Agree. Before I invest in a proper adapter here's what I did today.

    Since the battery wouldn't charge in situ charged the battery
    externally from the bench supply; about 1A for 3 hours. Refitted the
    battery and the machine went through POST and then tried to boot;
    that's how I found the hard disk was U/S.

    Rebooted from an Ubuntu CD and everything worked. Plugged in the bench
    supply and the machine was drawing about 3.5A, but none of it was going
    into the battery. The charge LED was off, so I think the bench supply
    was doing most of the work and the battery was making up the difference.
    It ran over 5 hours like this.

    Shut down the machine, but the charge LED stayed off. Ran the battery
    right down, then plugged in the bench supply. The charge LED then comes
    on after 10 seconds or so, but the current drawn is <100mA so it will
    never charge. How can the laptop know about the type of charger, other
    than by sensing the voltage?

    Bottom line is that the battery appears to be in reasonable shape, but I
    can't charge it in the laptop. When the machine is on it won't
    charge from the bench supply, perhaps because it all needs more than 4A.
    When the machine is off ditto because there's only a tiny amount of
    current being drawn from the supply, probably none of it going to the
    battery.

    Do you think an adapter with the right ratings will help, or that
    there's something wrong with the charging circuit inside?

    Nick

    nick, Jan 10, 2010
  4. nick

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hidh18$655$-september.org,
    nick typed on Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:32:33 +0000 (UTC):
    > Hi Bill, thanks for your useful reply. Please see update below.
    >
    > BillW50 wrote:
    >> Hi Nick! It is the same as a desktop. Start pulling devices out, like
    >> the hard drive, optical drive, memory, WiFi, etc. With any luck, it
    >> will be one of them.
    >>

    > Well it turned out that the hard disk was U/S, but I think there's a
    > charging problem.
    >
    >> Say does it act the same running from the battery alone? Did you also
    >> try running it on AC with the battery removed?

    > Yes. It won't run on AC with the battery removed, perhaps because I
    > don't have the right adapter. Tried to run it from a bench supply
    > good for 15V at 4A, or 19V at 1A.
    >
    >> Is there a reset hole anywhere?

    > Can't find any reset. The only reset mentioned in the manual is the
    > one for the BIOS settings.
    >
    >> If all of this fails... it is either the AC adapter or the
    >> motherboard most likely.

    > Agree. Before I invest in a proper adapter here's what I did today.
    >
    > Since the battery wouldn't charge in situ charged the battery
    > externally from the bench supply; about 1A for 3 hours. Refitted the
    > battery and the machine went through POST and then tried to boot;
    > that's how I found the hard disk was U/S.
    >
    > Rebooted from an Ubuntu CD and everything worked. Plugged in the
    > bench supply and the machine was drawing about 3.5A, but none of it
    > was going into the battery. The charge LED was off, so I think the
    > bench supply was doing most of the work and the battery was making up
    > the difference. It ran over 5 hours like this.
    >
    > Shut down the machine, but the charge LED stayed off. Ran the battery
    > right down, then plugged in the bench supply. The charge LED then
    > comes on after 10 seconds or so, but the current drawn is <100mA so
    > it will never charge. How can the laptop know about the type of
    > charger, other than by sensing the voltage?
    >
    > Bottom line is that the battery appears to be in reasonable shape,
    > but I can't charge it in the laptop. When the machine is on it won't
    > charge from the bench supply, perhaps because it all needs more than
    > 4A. When the machine is off ditto because there's only a tiny amount
    > of current being drawn from the supply, probably none of it going to
    > the battery.
    >
    > Do you think an adapter with the right ratings will help, or that
    > there's something wrong with the charging circuit inside?

    Hi Nick! Laptops if the supply voltage is too low or if it figures out
    that the supply just doesn't have enough current. They will often refuse
    to charge the battery, but work fine otherwise. So that could be what is
    going on here. Charging the battery is often half of the total draw
    while the laptop is on.

    Why the charge light only comes on for about 10 seconds and a draw of
    100ma is interesting. It could be the laptop is unhappy about the
    voltage and waits 10 seconds before giving up. Although it could decide
    something is wrong with the battery too. So I would keep this in mind as
    well.

    Otherwise you are on the right track. I am assuming the 3.5 amp draw was
    at 15v, eh? I don't know what the original one put out, but 19v at 3.5
    amps is very common. My docking station has a supply of 19v at 6.3 amps.
    Overkill for what I use it for. Although it supports much beefier
    laptops than mine.

    And you say you are charging the battery on the bench. Have you charged
    lithiums before? As if you overcharge them or charge them too fast, they
    will explode. It is usually recommended if you charge them without
    safety circuits, to place them in some sort of metal container. Thus if
    it does burst into flames, it shouldn't catch anything else on fire.
    Plus don't throw water on it if it does. As I believe that only makes it
    worse.

    BillW50, Jan 10, 2010
  5. nick

    nick Guest

    BillW50 wrote:

    Hi Bill,

    thank you for another great post.

    today I am lashing up a 19V supply from 3 desktop supplies to see what
    gives. Anyway please see comments below.

    Nick

    PS: Is your email attached to this post good? If so I'll take this
    thread off the group, if that's OK with you.

    >> Do you think an adapter with the right ratings will help, or that
    >> there's something wrong with the charging circuit inside?

    > Hi Nick! Laptops if the supply voltage is too low or if it figures out
    > that the supply just doesn't have enough current. They will often refuse
    > to charge the battery, but work fine otherwise. So that could be what is
    > going on here. Charging the battery is often half of the total draw
    > while the laptop is on.

    The adapter rating for this laptop is 19V at 4.74A i.e. 90W.
    Presumably the adapter would be capable of running the laptop
    and charging a completely discharged battery. So the current
    split is probably 2.5A for the laptop, and 2A for the battery. It's a
    4Ah battery so the initial charge current would be C/2 which makes
    sense.

    > Why the charge light only comes on for about 10 seconds and a draw of
    > 100ma is interesting. It could be the laptop is unhappy about the
    > voltage and waits 10 seconds before giving up. Although it could decide
    > something is wrong with the battery too. So I would keep this in mind as
    > well.

    Not quite. When you plug in the adapter the charge light is initially
    off. After about 10-12 seconds it come on (amber) and stays on for as
    long as the adapter is plugged in.

    > Otherwise you are on the right track. I am assuming the 3.5 amp draw was
    > at 15v, eh? I don't know what the original one put out, but 19v at 3.5
    > amps is very common. My docking station has a supply of 19v at 6.3 amps.
    > Overkill for what I use it for. Although it supports much beefier
    > laptops than mine.

    Yes 3.5A at 15V. Been looking at adapters on ebay. Thought I might
    invest in a 19V 6.3A one so there's a bit of spare capacity.

    > And you say you are charging the battery on the bench. Have you charged
    > lithiums before? As if you overcharge them or charge them too fast, they
    > will explode. It is usually recommended if you charge them without
    > safety circuits, to place them in some sort of metal container. Thus if
    > it does burst into flames, it shouldn't catch anything else on fire.
    > Plus don't throw water on it if it does. As I believe that only makes it
    > worse.

    Yes I have done this before. Thanks for the warnings though.

    nick, Jan 11, 2010
  6. nick

    nick Guest

    Hi Bill

    I put a desktop PC supply 12v (@13A) in series with the bench
    supply set to 7v with a 4A max capability. Measured the total output as
    19.0v on a DVM.

    Fitted the discharged battery into the laptop, Plugged in the power
    supply and turned it on.

    No change.

    After about 12 seconds the charge light comes on amber but <100mA
    is supplied to the laptop.

    Laptop will not power up. Power light blinks green once. That's all.

    Would have thought the lash up supply would at least be capable of
    charging the battery with the laptop switched off.

    Removed battery.

    Laptop still will not power up. Power light blinks green once. That's
    all.

    Strange thing is that when I charge the battery externally and then
    boot the machine with the power supply plugged in, it then takes ~3.5A
    once the computer has started, presumably from the battery. Although
    the battery discharges eventually, all that current must be going
    somewhere. The load fluctuates as the CD is accessed, so I guess it's
    powering the computer.

    Do you still think it's worth buying a 19v 4.74A adapter (only 0.74A
    more capability than my lash up)?

    Or perhaps the circuitry between the power jack and the battery is up
    the creek?

    Nick

    nick, Jan 11, 2010
  7. nick

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:hif9m7$mdr$-september.org,
    nick typed on Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:39:19 +0000 (UTC):
    > Hi Bill

    Hi Nick! Ill be in and out today. And my email is good except you need
    to change the KOM part to COM. Chat at you later.

    --
    Bill
    Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

    BillW50, Jan 11, 2010
  8. nick

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs nick wrote:
    > BillW50 wrote:
    >
    > Hi Bill,
    >
    > thank you for another great post.
    >
    > today I am lashing up a 19V supply from 3 desktop supplies to see what
    > gives. Anyway please see comments below.
    >
    > Nick
    >
    > PS: Is your email attached to this post good? If so I'll take this
    > thread off the group, if that's OK with you.
    >
    >>> Do you think an adapter with the right ratings will help, or that
    >>> there's something wrong with the charging circuit inside?

    >> Hi Nick! Laptops if the supply voltage is too low or if it figures
    >> out that the supply just doesn't have enough current. They will
    >> often refuse to charge the battery, but work fine otherwise. So that
    >> could be what is going on here. Charging the battery is often half
    >> of the total draw while the laptop is on.

    > The adapter rating for this laptop is 19V at 4.74A i.e. 90W.
    > Presumably the adapter would be capable of running the laptop
    > and charging a completely discharged battery. So the current
    > split is probably 2.5A for the laptop, and 2A for the battery. It's a
    > 4Ah battery so the initial charge current would be C/2 which makes
    > sense.
    >

    >> Why the charge light only comes on for about 10 seconds and a draw of
    >> 100ma is interesting. It could be the laptop is unhappy about the
    >> voltage and waits 10 seconds before giving up. Although it could
    >> decide something is wrong with the battery too. So I would keep this
    >> in mind as well.

    > Not quite. When you plug in the adapter the charge light is initially
    > off. After about 10-12 seconds it come on (amber) and stays on for as
    > long as the adapter is plugged in.
    >

    >> Otherwise you are on the right track. I am assuming the 3.5 amp draw
    >> was at 15v, eh? I don't know what the original one put out, but 19v
    >> at 3.5 amps is very common. My docking station has a supply of 19v
    >> at 6.3 amps. Overkill for what I use it for. Although it supports
    >> much beefier laptops than mine.
    >>

    > Yes 3.5A at 15V. Been looking at adapters on ebay. Thought I might
    > invest in a 19V 6.3A one so there's a bit of spare capacity.
    >
    >> And you say you are charging the battery on the bench. Have you
    >> charged lithiums before? As if you overcharge them or charge them
    >> too fast, they will explode. It is usually recommended if you charge
    >> them without safety circuits, to place them in some sort of metal
    >> container. Thus if it does burst into flames, it shouldn't catch
    >> anything else on fire. Plus don't throw water on it if it does. As I
    >> believe that only makes it worse.
    >>

    > Yes I have done this before. Thanks for the warnings though.

    Clevo isn't a brand that I'm aware of, they're probably not imported into
    this country. However a cursory Google tells me that model is a fairly new
    one? Core2Duo CPU? All I can say is that some laptops are very smart. I have
    two different size power adapters that fit this ThinkPad T60, a 65W and a
    90W, both 20V.

    The Lenovo Power Manager utility recognises which adapter is attached and,
    if the battery is charging, adjusts the projected time to completeion
    accordingly. Perhaps your machine is querying the power supply for a signal
    and isn't getting one? I've heard that some newer laptops won't accept a
    multi-voltage, multi-tip adapter such as I have as it doesn't 'identify
    itself' as being genuine. (I'm sure I read that somewhere...)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 14, 2010
  9. nick

    nick Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    G'day!

    > Clevo isn't a brand that I'm aware of, they're probably not imported into
    > this country. However a cursory Google tells me that model is a fairly new
    > one? Core2Duo CPU? All I can say is that some laptops are very smart. I have
    > two different size power adapters that fit this ThinkPad T60, a 65W and a
    > 90W, both 20V.

    Made in Taiwan

    http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/index.asp

    Rebadged and marketed in the US and EU under various names.

    Yep, it's a Core2Duo, 2GB DDR2, 17" screen. I though it was worth
    salvaging.

    Interesting that the ThinkPad knows which adapter is connected. Dell
    use an extra wire in the cable between the adapter and the laptop.
    Perhaps the ThinkPad does something similar.

    http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/inside-dell-ac-power-adapter-mystery-revealed

    > The Lenovo Power Manager utility recognises which adapter is attached and,
    > if the battery is charging, adjusts the projected time to completeion
    > accordingly. Perhaps your machine is querying the power supply for a signal
    > and isn't getting one? I've heard that some newer laptops won't accept a
    > multi-voltage, multi-tip adapter such as I have as it doesn't 'identify
    > itself' as being genuine. (I'm sure I read that somewhere...)

    I've had a close look at the power connector on the back of the laptop,
    and there's only the plain old tip and sleeve, so no third wire there.

    Hard to see how the laptop can know much about the adapter over 2 wires
    except the voltage.

    The battery is a different matter though. Quite prepared to believe
    that the battery is part of the problem.

    But the laptop doesn't power up off the adapter with the battery
    removed, so either the adapter isn't man enough or there's a fault in
    the laptop.

    The battery won't charge in the laptop, so I'm inclined to think the
    charging circuit in the laptop is hosed.

    Nick

    nick, Jan 14, 2010
  10. nick

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs nick wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > G'day!

    Hey there,

    >> Clevo isn't a brand that I'm aware of, they're probably not imported
    >> into this country. However a cursory Google tells me that model is a
    >> fairly new one? Core2Duo CPU? All I can say is that some laptops are
    >> very smart. I have two different size power adapters that fit this
    >> ThinkPad T60, a 65W and a 90W, both 20V.

    > Made in Taiwan
    >
    > http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/index.asp
    >
    > Rebadged and marketed in the US and EU under various names.
    >
    > Yep, it's a Core2Duo, 2GB DDR2, 17" screen. I though it was worth
    > salvaging.

    It sure sounds like it is.

    > Interesting that the ThinkPad knows which adapter is connected. Dell
    > use an extra wire in the cable between the adapter and the laptop.
    > Perhaps the ThinkPad does something similar.
    >
    > http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/inside-dell-ac-power-adapter-mystery-revealed

    Well bugger me! I have a Dell Latitude D610 here and had previously noticed
    the thinness of the 'centre electrode' of the adapter and though it odd. On
    checking it I see that there's a sleeve connector on both the outside and
    inside of the plug. I just pulled out my spare T60 ThinkPad (65W) adapter
    and it's the same (although the centre 'sensor wire' pin is a bit more
    robust so I hadn't looked twice at it before.

    You learn something new every day. (Especially when you get to my age and
    you're forgetting things as fast as you learn them. <g>)

    >> The Lenovo Power Manager utility recognises which adapter is
    >> attached and, if the battery is charging, adjusts the projected time
    >> to completeion accordingly. Perhaps your machine is querying the
    >> power supply for a signal and isn't getting one? I've heard that
    >> some newer laptops won't accept a multi-voltage, multi-tip adapter
    >> such as I have as it doesn't 'identify itself' as being genuine.
    >> (I'm sure I read that somewhere...)

    > I've had a close look at the power connector on the back of the
    > laptop, and there's only the plain old tip and sleeve, so no third
    > wire there.

    Ahh, ok, so that's not it then. Worth a shot.

    > Hard to see how the laptop can know much about the adapter over 2
    > wires except the voltage.

    Yup, although I wouldn't be surprised if there is a way.....

    > The battery is a different matter though. Quite prepared to believe
    > that the battery is part of the problem.
    >
    > But the laptop doesn't power up off the adapter with the battery
    > removed, so either the adapter isn't man enough or there's a fault in
    > the laptop.
    >
    > The battery won't charge in the laptop, so I'm inclined to think the
    > charging circuit in the laptop is hosed.

    That does sound like a reasonable assumption. (Some batteries, like this T60
    for instance, have a 'CPU' in the battery as well as the one in the carging
    circuit that controlls the charge rate etc.)

    Good luck Nick.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 16, 2010