CLI FTP on Lion

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Wes Groleau, Mar 16, 2012.

  1. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    ftp -u ftp://user: <filepath>

    results in

    ftp: Invalid URL `ftp://'

    in contradiction of its man page.

    Anyone suggest another simple way?

    wget is one-way.

    man curl says it is two-way, but Usage implies one-way

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Nobody believes a theoretical analysis — except the guy who did it.
    Everybody believes an experimental analysis — except the guy who did it.
    — Unknown
    Wes Groleau, Mar 16, 2012

  2. Wes Groleau

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <jju2kp$ttv$>,
    Wes Groleau <> wrote:

    > ftp -u ftp://user: <filepath>
    >
    > results in
    >
    > ftp: Invalid URL `ftp://'

    I'd probably use a browser for that. Or download ncftp, which is a way
    better implementation of an ftp client, and supports that kind of thing.

    http://www.ncftp.com/ncftp/
    --

    .... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child
    Warren Oates, Mar 16, 2012

  3. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 03-15-2012 21:34, Warren Oates wrote:

    > Wes Groleau<> wrote:
    >
    >> ftp -u ftp://user:p<filepath>
    >>
    >> results in
    >>
    >> ftp: Invalid URL `ftp://'

    > I'd probably use a browser for that. Or download ncftp, which is a way

    How would you use a browser for command line FTP ?

    > better implementation of an ftp client, and supports that kind of thing.
    >
    > http://www.ncftp.com/ncftp/

    Like I said, ftp claims to support it. But this is certainly worth
    investigating. Thanks.

    Wes Groleau, Mar 16, 2012
  4. In article <jju2kp$ttv$>,
    Wes Groleau <> wrote:

    > ftp -u ftp://user: <filepath>
    >
    > results in
    >
    > ftp: Invalid URL `ftp://'
    >
    > in contradiction of its man page.
    >
    > Anyone suggest another simple way?
    >
    > wget is one-way.
    >
    > man curl says it is two-way, but Usage implies one-way

    Try:

    ftp -u ftp://user:/ <filepath>

    You need the '/' at the end.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Mar 16, 2012
  5. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 03-15-2012 21:48, Wes Groleau wrote:
    > On 03-15-2012 21:34, Warren Oates wrote:
    >
    >> Wes Groleau<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> ftp -u ftp://user:p<filepath>
    >>>
    >>> results in
    >>>
    >>> ftp: Invalid URL `ftp://'

    >> I'd probably use a browser for that. Or download ncftp, which is a way

    > How would you use a browser for command line FTP ?
    >
    >> better implementation of an ftp client, and supports that kind of thing.
    >>
    >> http://www.ncftp.com/ncftp/

    > Like I said, ftp claims to support it. But this is certainly worth
    > investigating. Thanks.

    Seems to have worked. Some odd error messages but they didn't prevent
    the upload.

    Wes Groleau, Mar 16, 2012
  6. Wes Groleau

    JF Mezei Guest

    JF Mezei, Mar 16, 2012
  7. Wes Groleau

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:34:47 -0400, Warren Oates wrote:

    > In article <jju2kp$ttv$>,
    > Wes Groleau <> wrote:
    >
    >> ftp -u ftp://user: <filepath>
    >>
    >> results in
    >>
    >> ftp: Invalid URL `ftp://'

    > I'd probably use a browser for that. Or download ncftp, which is a way
    > better implementation of an ftp client, and supports that kind of thing.
    >
    > http://www.ncftp.com/ncftp/

    ncftp works nicely in cron jobs too. Before I got ssh access to my
    hosting ISP, standard ftp would often crap out but ncftp was pretty solid.

    --
    Paul Sture
    Paul Sture, Mar 16, 2012
  8. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 03-15-2012 21:48, Wes Groleau wrote:
    > Like I said, ftp claims to support it. But this is certainly worth
    > investigating. Thanks.

    Yep,
    ncftpput -f .UG -m 1 $(find UG -type f -mtime -1 -print | grep -v svn)
    is an excellent way to keep a website updated.

    Wes Groleau, Mar 17, 2012