Client Lease Time? LINKSYS Router

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ron Hardin, Aug 21, 2007.

  1. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    What's the ``client lease time''? You can set it to xxxx minutes, ``0 means one day''

    It's in the section for starting and ending IP addresses that it should assign.

  2. Guest

    Hi!

    > What's the ``client lease time''?

    Client lease time refers to how long a computer will "lease" an IP
    address and other TCP/IP configuration information from your router.
    If you were to set it to, say, thirty minutes, your computer would ask
    the router every thirty minutes for a new DHCP lease. The router would
    then hand out a renewed lease to the computer for the same length of
    time. Depending upon the router, the computer might also get a
    different IP address.

    If all the devices on your network have fixed IP addresses, the client
    lease time setting will do nothing. It's only for devices that get
    their IP address from the router using DHCP.

    William

    1. Advertising

  3. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > > What's the ``client lease time''?

    > Client lease time refers to how long a computer will "lease" an IP
    > address and other TCP/IP configuration information from your router.
    > If you were to set it to, say, thirty minutes, your computer would ask
    > the router every thirty minutes for a new DHCP lease. The router would
    > then hand out a renewed lease to the computer for the same length of
    > time. Depending upon the router, the computer might also get a
    > different IP address.
    >
    > If all the devices on your network have fixed IP addresses, the client
    > lease time setting will do nothing. It's only for devices that get
    > their IP address from the router using DHCP.
    >
    > William

    Hmm. So supposing I'm downloading a file that will take over a day (dialup),
    what happens if my IP address changes, if the client lease time is set to
    the default of one day?

    Not sure I understand the implications, not that I have the problem given.

  4. Hi!

    > Hmm. So supposing I'm downloading a file that will take over a day
    > (dialup), what happens if my IP address changes, if the client lease
    > time is set to the default of one day?

    As far as I can tell, router and PC will cope just fine. I pulled a 6GB ZIP
    file and a 4.7GB Knoppix disc image down from the 'net some time ago. Even
    on a cable connection it took several days and exceeded the lease time on my
    router. There were no problems or interruptions.

    Since you mentioned a dialup connection, I must ask...is your Linksys router
    actually doing routing from a dial-up connection? I've only ever seen one
    router that could do that--the Apple Airport.

    William

  5. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    William R. Walsh wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > > Hmm. So supposing I'm downloading a file that will take over a day
    > > (dialup), what happens if my IP address changes, if the client lease
    > > time is set to the default of one day?

    > As far as I can tell, router and PC will cope just fine. I pulled a 6GB ZIP
    > file and a 4.7GB Knoppix disc image down from the 'net some time ago. Even
    > on a cable connection it took several days and exceeded the lease time on my
    > router. There were no problems or interruptions.
    >
    > Since you mentioned a dialup connection, I must ask...is your Linksys router
    > actually doing routing from a dial-up connection? I've only ever seen one
    > router that could do that--the Apple Airport.
    >
    > William

    No, I'm actually dialup on the internal modem. I just needed an example.

    One case where it might matter is if programs in 2 computers are communicating
    by shared files, say I1200a reading files in //I1200b and vice versa; and if
    it goes on more than a day, then the actual IP addresses might change, if the
    lease time expires.

    That would screw things up if the file handles are resolved once at start rather than
    each time (which seems likely in fact); and then the communication path would
    break when the lease expired.

    I can't guess whether there's enough programming to reresolve an expired handle
    or not, this being a matter of psychology.

  6. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    I move upwards to 200GB a day between machines on my home LAN and have
    never seen a problem. As I mentioned, the router will assign the same
    IP. Honestly, I don't think it does anything if machines are not
    competing for IP addresses.

  7. Ron Hardin <> wrote in

    > William R. Walsh wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> > Hmm. So supposing I'm downloading a file that will take over
    >> > a day (dialup), what happens if my IP address changes, if the
    >> > client lease time is set to the default of one day?

    >> As far as I can tell, router and PC will cope just fine. I
    >> pulled a 6GB ZIP file and a 4.7GB Knoppix disc image down from
    >> the 'net some time ago. Even on a cable connection it took
    >> several days and exceeded the lease time on my router. There
    >> were no problems or interruptions.
    >>
    >> Since you mentioned a dialup connection, I must ask...is your
    >> Linksys router actually doing routing from a dial-up
    >> connection? I've only ever seen one router that could do
    >> that--the Apple Airport.
    >>
    >> William

    > No, I'm actually dialup on the internal modem. I just needed an
    > example.
    >
    > One case where it might matter is if programs in 2 computers are
    > communicating by shared files, say I1200a reading files in
    > //I1200b and vice versa; and if it goes on more than a day, then
    > the actual IP addresses might change, if the lease time expires.

    AIUI the DHCP client initiates renewal of its IP address lease 50%
    of the way into the lease period, and repeats the request
    periodically thereafter until it is resolved. The DHCP server
    (should) grant renewal of an existing IP address lease if at all
    possible, and the cycle repeats. Hence if everything is working as
    expected, a DHCP client will retain its allocated address whilst
    it is active on the network.

  8. It's the amount of time for which "client PCs" connected to the router
    "lease" the IP address that the router's DHCP server gives them. Don't
    worry about it, it's a low-level detail that is totally irrelevant to
    virtually all end users at your level.

    Ron Hardin wrote:
    > What's the ``client lease time''? You can set it to xxxx minutes, ``0 means one day''
    >
    > It's in the section for starting and ending IP addresses that it should assign.

  9. Hi!

    > I can't guess whether there's enough programming to reresolve an expired
    > handle or not, this being a matter of psychology.

    I would tend to say that there is. I do a monthly backup with my laptop to
    another computer. Both have dynamically configured IPs and it works fine.

    While my present router (a Buffalo model flashed with the DD-WRT firmware)
    has a setting to store the IP address it handed out to a given MAC address
    in NVRAM (so as to ensure that the same IP goes to the same network adapter
    each time), I have done the same backup with routers that had no memory of
    what they'd done earlier and send out a different IP each time. These
    backups did run long enough to exceed the normal lease time.

    If you were doing something mission critical that must succeed, I would
    advise defining "hard-wired" IP addresses for each client on the network.
    That way you can be assured that address changes won't cause problems.

    William

  10. It does not matter in any case. The lease is automatically renewed,
    there is not loss of service .... none, not even for a microsecond.

    The ONLY significance of the lease time is that if a lease expires while
    the computer is OFF, then when the computer is turned back on, it MIGHT
    get a different IP address than it had before. So a longer lease time
    insures a longer period of time with a guaranteed "same IP address".
    [If the computer is ON when the lease expires, it will be renewed with
    the same IP address in every case that I am aware of.]

    Ron Hardin wrote:
    > William R. Walsh wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >>> Hmm. So supposing I'm downloading a file that will take over a day
    >>> (dialup), what happens if my IP address changes, if the client lease
    >>> time is set to the default of one day?

    >> As far as I can tell, router and PC will cope just fine. I pulled a 6GB ZIP
    >> file and a 4.7GB Knoppix disc image down from the 'net some time ago. Even
    >> on a cable connection it took several days and exceeded the lease time on my
    >> router. There were no problems or interruptions.
    >>
    >> Since you mentioned a dialup connection, I must ask...is your Linksys router
    >> actually doing routing from a dial-up connection? I've only ever seen one
    >> router that could do that--the Apple Airport.
    >>
    >> William

    > No, I'm actually dialup on the internal modem. I just needed an example.
    >
    > One case where it might matter is if programs in 2 computers are communicating
    > by shared files, say I1200a reading files in //I1200b and vice versa; and if
    > it goes on more than a day, then the actual IP addresses might change, if the
    > lease time expires.
    >
    > That would screw things up if the file handles are resolved once at start rather than
    > each time (which seems likely in fact); and then the communication path would
    > break when the lease expired.
    >
    > I can't guess whether there's enough programming to reresolve an expired handle
    > or not, this being a matter of psychology.

  11. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > It does not matter in any case. The lease is automatically renewed,
    > there is not loss of service .... none, not even for a microsecond.
    >
    > The ONLY significance of the lease time is that if a lease expires while
    > the computer is OFF, then when the computer is turned back on, it MIGHT
    > get a different IP address than it had before. So a longer lease time
    > insures a longer period of time with a guaranteed "same IP address".
    > [If the computer is ON when the lease expires, it will be renewed with
    > the same IP address in every case that I am aware of.]

    Right away, well not right away but already, I found one effect, that when
    the lease renews, SSH drops its connection.

    $ ipconfig -all
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 26, 2007 4:51:58 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 27, 2007 4:51:58 PM

    and in a SSH keep-alive window

    Sun Aug 26 12:53:33 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 12:54:25 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 12:55:20 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 12:56:30 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 12:57:39 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 12:58:42 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 12:59:45 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:00:39 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:01:36 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:02:33 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:03:47 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:04:49 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:05:55 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:07:03 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:08:00 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:09:15 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:10:20 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:11:18 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:12:21 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:13:20 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:14:34 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:15:40 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:16:57 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:18:15 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:19:18 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:20:21 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:21:15 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:22:05 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:22:59 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:24:06 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:24:57 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:26:06 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:27:00 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:27:59 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:28:57 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:29:51 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:31:04 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:32:03 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:32:54 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:34:05 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:34:56 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:35:56 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:37:00 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:38:13 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:39:09 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:40:14 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:41:29 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:42:38 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:43:41 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:44:44 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:45:37 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:46:27 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:47:21 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:48:37 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:49:57 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:51:04 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:51:59 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:53:16 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:54:31 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:55:35 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:56:40 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:57:56 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 13:59:15 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:00:17 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:01:21 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:02:36 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:03:33 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:04:46 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:05:38 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:06:39 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:07:37 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:08:42 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:10:00 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:10:53 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:11:57 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:13:15 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:14:14 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:15:08 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:16:08 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:17:08 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:18:16 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:19:31 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:20:49 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:21:51 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:23:04 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:23:56 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:25:10 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:26:14 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:27:33 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:28:32 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:29:34 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:30:39 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:31:39 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:32:52 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:33:48 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:34:51 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:35:50 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:37:09 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:38:01 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:38:59 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:40:03 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:41:03 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:41:59 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:43:02 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:44:05 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:44:59 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:46:02 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:46:53 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:47:45 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:48:47 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:49:44 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:50:58 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:51:51 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:53:09 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:54:12 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:55:06 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:56:14 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:57:14 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:58:19 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 14:59:21 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:00:26 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:01:45 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:02:53 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:03:50 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:05:05 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:06:18 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:07:27 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:08:29 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:09:30 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:10:27 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:11:38 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:12:45 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:13:57 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:15:10 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:16:13 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:17:30 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:18:23 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:19:36 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:20:49 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:21:52 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:22:51 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:23:44 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:24:55 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:25:54 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:27:07 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:28:21 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:29:37 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:30:35 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:31:41 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:32:59 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:34:15 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:35:26 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:36:18 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:37:18 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:38:32 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:39:48 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:40:47 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:41:48 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:42:41 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:44:01 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:45:03 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:46:16 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:47:26 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:48:19 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:49:16 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:50:14 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:51:14 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:52:21 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:53:21 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:54:28 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:55:36 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:56:50 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:57:48 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:58:48 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 15:59:57 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:01:13 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:02:10 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:03:03 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:04:12 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:05:15 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:06:22 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:07:12 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:08:06 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:08:57 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:10:05 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:10:58 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:12:03 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:13:06 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:14:04 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:15:04 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:16:13 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:17:10 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:18:24 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:19:26 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:20:39 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:21:47 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:23:02 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:23:52 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:24:47 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:25:44 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:27:02 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:28:01 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:28:58 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:30:17 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:31:20 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:32:24 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:33:24 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:34:32 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:35:47 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:36:56 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:38:07 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:39:20 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:40:28 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:41:48 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:42:51 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:43:44 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:45:03 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:45:54 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:47:06 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:48:00 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:49:05 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:50:15 EDT 2007
    Sun Aug 26 16:51:12 EDT 2007
    Server dropped connection.

    Notice it ends when the new lease was acquired.

  12. Columbotrek

    Columbotrek Guest

    Ron Hardin wrote:
    > What's the ``client lease time''? You can set it to xxxx minutes, ``0 means one day''
    >
    > It's in the section for starting and ending IP addresses that it should assign.

    As a general rule, Short lease times are for when you have hosts who
    show up for short periods of time and don't come back real soon. Long
    times are good for when your network is fairly static. A short lease
    makes sense for a hotspot. Where as a very long lease makes sense for
    your home. A lease of as long as you can get for at home shoud work fine.