    instant Kernel Panic.

    Anybody have a solution?

    DR
    dcrehr, Dec 9, 2007

  2. dcrehr

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    dcrehr <> wrote:

    > I recently got a new MacBook. It is running OS X 10.4.11 Tiger.
    >
    > Transferred everything over from my older iBook G4 and everything
    > works fine.
    >
    > I cloned the new MacBook hard drive to a firewire backup drive.
    >
    > My intention is to use the iBook G4 as a backup in case anything
    > happens to the MacBook.
    >
    > But, when trying to book the G4 with the cloned drive, I get an
    > instant Kernel Panic.

    that won't work because 10.4 from the macbook is intel code and the
    ibook has a powerpc processor. you will need a seperate powerpc 10.4
    system.

    another option is upgrade to leopard which is universal and can boot
    both cpu types.
    nospam, Dec 9, 2007

  3. dcrehr

    dcrehr Guest

    On Dec 9, 5:56 am, nospam <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    > dcrehr <> wrote:
    > > I recently got a new MacBook. It is running OS X 10.4.11 Tiger.

    > > Transferred everything over from my older iBook G4 and everything
    > > works fine.

    > > I cloned the new MacBook hard drive to a firewire backup drive.

    > > My intention is to use the iBook G4 as a backup in case anything
    > > happens to the MacBook.

    > > But, when trying to book the G4 with the cloned drive, I get an
    > > instant Kernel Panic.

    > that won't work because 10.4 from the macbook is intel code and the
    > ibook has a powerpc processor. you will need a seperate powerpc 10.4
    > system.
    >
    > another option is upgrade to leopard which is universal and can boot
    > both cpu types.

    Well then, that is what I shall do!

    Thanks,

    DR
    dcrehr, Dec 9, 2007
  4. dcrehr

    Ron Walcik Guest

    In article
    <>,
    dcrehr <> wrote:

    > I recently got a new MacBook. It is running OS X 10.4.11 Tiger.
    >
    > Transferred everything over from my older iBook G4 and everything
    > works fine.
    >
    > I cloned the new MacBook hard drive to a firewire backup drive.
    >
    > My intention is to use the iBook G4 as a backup in case anything
    > happens to the MacBook.
    >
    > But, when trying to book the G4 with the cloned drive, I get an
    > instant Kernel Panic.
    >
    > Anybody have a solution?

    I don't believe there is one. IIRC, there are different versions of the
    Tiger code for PPC and Intel machines, and one cannot run on the other.
    You need Leopard to do that.

    --
    Ron Walcik
    Killeen, Texas

    This email address is not checked. If you want to contact me directly, send to:
    firstname at lastname dot net.
    Ron Walcik, Dec 9, 2007
  5. dcrehr

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    dcrehr <> wrote:

    > > > Transferred everything over from my older iBook G4 and everything
    > > > works fine.

    > > > I cloned the new MacBook hard drive to a firewire backup drive.

    > > > My intention is to use the iBook G4 as a backup in case anything
    > > > happens to the MacBook.

    > > > But, when trying to book the G4 with the cloned drive, I get an
    > > > instant Kernel Panic.

    > > that won't work because 10.4 from the macbook is intel code and the
    > > ibook has a powerpc processor. you will need a seperate powerpc 10.4
    > > system.
    > >
    > > another option is upgrade to leopard which is universal and can boot
    > > both cpu types.

    > Well then, that is what I shall do!

    the only way to have one disk boot both powerpc and intel macs is to
    install leopard. also, that install must be done on a powerpc mac;
    after that it will boot on intel.

    if you want to use tiger you will need to have two separate system
    installations, however, common data, such as personal files and even
    applications, can be shared on the external drive. it's also possible
    to put your home folder on the external drive, but that can cause
    problems if you boot either of the macs *without* the external drive
    attached.

    the ideal solution (and most expensive) is to sell the ibook and
    replace it with a used macbook or intel based mac mini and eliminate
    all cross-architecture issues.
    nospam, Dec 9, 2007
  6. dcrehr

    Davoud Guest

    dcrehr:

    > I recently got a new MacBook. It is running OS X 10.4.11 Tiger.
    >
    > Transferred everything over from my older iBook G4 and everything
    > works fine.
    >
    > I cloned the new MacBook hard drive to a firewire backup drive.
    >
    > My intention is to use the iBook G4 as a backup in case anything
    > happens to the MacBook.
    >
    > But, when trying to book the G4 with the cloned drive, I get an
    > instant Kernel Panic.
    >
    > Anybody have a solution?

    Yes. Don't try to boot a computer -- any computer -- in an operating
    system that is entirely different from the one that computer was
    designed to use.

    Davoud

    --
    usenet *at* davidillig dawt com