cloning with SuperDuper! 2.5" to 2.5"

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jstein, Jun 10, 2009.

  1. Jstein

    Jstein Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I am trying to clone my Mac HD to another HD. I have used SuperDuper!
    in the past to clone my Mac Book Pro to an external which has worked
    out great for me. In the coming weeks I will be doing some extensive
    traveling for work and I would like to carry a (bootable) backup of my
    HD on an extra 2.5" drive I have kicking around. (My normal external
    HD is rather large and I do not want to lug it around in my travels).
    Is there an easy way to make a bootable copy of my HD to a 2.5"
    drive? I have read that I can make a copy of the drive using my
    install disc to get into disk utility. Could I use another Macbook to
    plug the back up drive into temporarily and somehow transfer the data
    through firewire? I wonder if the I could put the Mac book I am
    borrowing into target disk mode and transfer. Any help would be much
    appreciated as I am at a total loss as to what to do!

    Thanks in advance

    -Jesse

    1. Advertising

  2. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:51:37 -0500, Jstein wrote (in article
    <>):

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I am trying to clone my Mac HD to another HD. I have used SuperDuper! in
    > the past to clone my Mac Book Pro to an external which has worked out
    > great for me. In the coming weeks I will be doing some extensive
    > traveling for work and I would like to carry a (bootable) backup of my HD
    > on an extra 2.5" drive I have kicking around. (My normal external HD is
    > rather large and I do not want to lug it around in my travels). Is there
    > an easy way to make a bootable copy of my HD to a 2.5" drive? I have read
    > that I can make a copy of the drive using my install disc to get into disk
    > utility. Could I use another Macbook to plug the back up drive into
    > temporarily and somehow transfer the data through firewire? I wonder if
    > the I could put the Mac book I am borrowing into target disk mode and
    > transfer. Any help would be much appreciated as I am at a total loss as
    > to what to do!
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Am I missing something here? SuperDuper! can indeed make bootable backup onto
    an external firewire drive.

    --
    James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas .....

    1. Advertising

  3. On Jun 10, 6:43 pm, Tim Lance <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:03:52 -0500, TaliesinSoft wrote
    > (in article <>):
    >

    > > On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:51:37 -0500, Jstein wrote (in article
    > > <>):

    > >> Hi everyone,

    > >> I am trying to clone my Mac HD to another HD.  I have used SuperDuper! in
    > >> the past to clone my Mac Book Pro to an external which has worked out
    > >> great for me.  In the coming weeks I will be doing some extensive
    > >> traveling for work and I would like to carry a (bootable) backup of myHD
    > >> on an extra 2.5" drive I have kicking around. (My normal external HD is
    > >> rather large and I do not want to lug it around in my travels). Is there
    > >> an easy way to make a bootable copy of my HD to a 2.5" drive?  I have read
    > >> that I can make a copy of the drive using my install disc to get into disk
    > >> utility.  Could I use another Macbook to plug the back up drive into
    > >> temporarily and somehow transfer the data through firewire?  I wonder if
    > >> the I could put the Mac book I am borrowing into target disk mode and
    > >> transfer.  Any help would be much appreciated as I am at a total loss as
    > >> to what to do!

    > >> Thanks in advance

    > > Am I missing something here? SuperDuper! can indeed make bootable backup onto
    > > an external firewire drive.

    > External USB, too. Is what I use.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Tim

    I apologize...perhaps I didn't clarify. The external HD that i have
    and the 2.5" drive are two separate items. The 2.5" drive is an
    internal laptop drive. I would like to back up my data onto the 2.5
    internal drive so in the event of a HD failure, I could swap the
    drives and be back in business.

  4. In article <>,
    Heather Hendricks <> wrote:
    >On Jun 10, 6:43 pm, Tim Lance <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:03:52 -0500, TaliesinSoft wrote
    >> (in article <>):
    >>

    >> > On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:51:37 -0500, Jstein wrote (in article
    >> > <>):

    >> > Am I missing something here? SuperDuper! can indeed make bootable backup onto
    >> > an external firewire drive.

    >> External USB, too. Is what I use.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Tim
    >>

    >I apologize...perhaps I didn't clarify. The external HD that i have
    >and the 2.5" drive are two separate items. The 2.5" drive is an
    >internal laptop drive. I would like to back up my data onto the 2.5
    >internal drive so in the event of a HD failure, I could swap the
    >drives and be back in business.

    You need to put it in an external drive case that has the proper interface
    to work with the drive and with your laptop unless you want to hack together
    some sort of SATA <> Firewire/USB bridge and I think if you were up for that,
    you wouldnt be asking in here about it...

    It's simple enough to do, and there are small ones designed for travel.