    --
    Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

    Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>
    W. Watson, Apr 10, 2007

  2. W. Watson

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously W. Watson <> wrote:
    > I have an ABIT KD7A processor, and CMOS does not seem to hold its charge
    > very well. Each time I reboot, I need to reset dates, etc. I discovered this
    > problem when my machine would not come up in any way. PSU, CPU, and MB all
    > seemed dead. I discovered that the 3v batter was reading 2.8v, so replaced
    > it. Actually, just taking it out of the computer brought it to life. After
    > awhile, I put in the new battery. It seems like it took repeated uses to get
    > cmos charged up. It worked fine for a few days, but now, with the battery
    > still in, it has gone back to losing cmos each time I boot. The battery is
    > not hot. Suggestions?

    Hwat it the current battery voltage? If it is <3V, the something is
    draining it. That coukld well be an additional buffer capacitor
    (elecrolyte), since they develop leaks after some years. The way to
    really diagnose this is to measure how much current is taken from
    the battery. If it is a capacitor wioth low isolation resistance,
    then it has to be removed or replaced as final fix.

    Arno
    Arno Wagner, Apr 11, 2007

  3. W. Watson

    W. Watson Guest

    I replaced it with a new battery shortly after discovering the problem and
    it didn't help. The voltage remained above +3, and probably still is. I was
    unexpectedly called out of town for 6 days and just got back.

    W. Watson, Apr 23, 2007
  4. W. Watson

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously W. Watson <> wrote:
    > I replaced it with a new battery shortly after discovering the problem and
    > it didn't help. The voltage remained above +3, and probably still is. I was
    > unexpectedly called out of town for 6 days and just got back.

    Have a look at the voltage again. Still > 3v?

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Apr 23, 2007