"cocoa" user

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Michelle Steiner, Mar 29, 2012.

  1. I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the Users
    folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups preferences.

    What's with that?

    -- Michelle

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

  2. David Empson

    David Empson Guest

    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the Users
    > folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups preferences.
    >
    > What's with that?

    Something that was running on your computer created a folder called
    /Users/cocoa.

    Tracking it down would be rather tricky after the fact.

    --
    David Empson

    1. Advertising

  3. In article <1khqk8z.u7ahk8oh2snuN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > > I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the
    > > Users folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups
    > > preferences.
    > >
    > > What's with that?

    > Something that was running on your computer created a folder called
    > /Users/cocoa.
    >
    > Tracking it down would be rather tricky after the fact.

    I'm more curious as to why it doesn't show up in Users & Groups.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

  4. Tom Stiller

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <1khqk8z.u7ahk8oh2snuN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > > > I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the
    > > > Users folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups
    > > > preferences.
    > > >
    > > > What's with that?

    > > Something that was running on your computer created a folder called
    > > /Users/cocoa.
    > >
    > > Tracking it down would be rather tricky after the fact.

    > I'm more curious as to why it doesn't show up in Users & Groups.

    It is neither a user nor a group?

    --
    PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
    of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce

  5. In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <1khqk8z.u7ahk8oh2snuN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > > > I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the
    > > > Users folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups
    > > > preferences.
    > > >
    > > > What's with that?

    > > Something that was running on your computer created a folder called
    > > /Users/cocoa.
    > >
    > > Tracking it down would be rather tricky after the fact.

    > I'm more curious as to why it doesn't show up in Users & Groups.

    There's a system database that lists all the user accounts. Creating a
    folder doesn't add to that database.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA

  6. sbt

    sbt Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <1khqk8z.u7ahk8oh2snuN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > > > I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the
    > > > Users folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups
    > > > preferences.
    > > >
    > > > What's with that?

    > > Something that was running on your computer created a folder called
    > > /Users/cocoa.
    > >
    > > Tracking it down would be rather tricky after the fact.

    > I'm more curious as to why it doesn't show up in Users & Groups.

    For the same reason that Shared (also a subfolder of /Users) doesn't
    show up as a user or group. It isn't either a user or a group (no uid
    or gid, for example).

    --
    Spenser

  7. In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <1khqk8z.u7ahk8oh2snuN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > > > I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the
    > > > Users folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups
    > > > preferences.
    > > >
    > > > What's with that?

    > > Something that was running on your computer created a folder called
    > > /Users/cocoa.
    > >
    > > Tracking it down would be rather tricky after the fact.

    > I'm more curious as to why it doesn't show up in Users & Groups.

    1) Something created the folder without creating a user account.

    2) Something created it for a user with a UID less than 501. Users with UID
    below 501 are used for things like server processes, and aren't shown in the
    Users & Groups pane.

    Did you do a Get Info on the folder to see when it was created and who owns it?

  8. In article
    <-september.org>,
    "Wayne C. Morris" <> wrote:

    > Did you do a Get Info on the folder to see when it was created and who owns
    > it?

    It was created on April 11, 2010, and modified on April 26, 2011. Curious
    that I had never noticed it before.

    The creator is shown as "Fetching..." and is greyed out. The icon is a
    user icon with an exclamation point badge. In other words, it doesn't know
    who the creator is.

    Its Library folder is empty. I'm going to trash it.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

  9. George Kerby

    George Kerby Guest

    On 3/29/12 7:30 AM, in article
    -september.org, "China Blue
    Water Navy" <> wrote:

    > In article <1khqk8z.u7ahk8oh2snuN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    >> Michelle Steiner <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the Users
    >>> folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups preferences.
    >>>
    >>> What's with that?

    >> Something that was running on your computer created a folder called
    >> /Users/cocoa.
    >>
    >> Tracking it down would be rather tricky after the fact.

    > A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost. She lowered her altitude
    > and
    > spotted a man in a boat below. She shouted to him, "Excuse me, can you help
    > me?
    > I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I
    > am."
    >
    > The man consulted his portable GPS and replied, "You're in a hot air balloon,
    > approximately 30 feet above ground elevation of 2,346 feet above sea level.
    > You
    > are at 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes
    > west longitude.
    >
    > "She rolled her eyes and said, "You must be an Obama Democrat."
    >
    > "I am," replied the man. "How did you know?"
    >
    > "Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically
    > correct.
    > But I have no idea what to do with your information, and I'm still lost.
    > Frankly, you've not been much help to me."
    >
    > The man smiled and responded, "You must be a Republican."
    >
    > "I am," replied the balloonist. "How did you know?"
    >
    > "Well," said the man, "you don't know where you are or where you are going.
    > You've risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a
    > promise you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem.
    > You're in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but somehow,
    > now
    > it's my fault."

    That was a Democrat, maybe a woman, but definitely a Democrat...

  10. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 03-29-2012 20:58, George Kerby wrote:
    > That was a Democrat, maybe a woman, but definitely a Democrat...

    It was a politician of either flavor. They talk _very_ differently,
    yet somehow their screw-ups have the same results. And they always
    blame the other party and/or previous administration.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    “There are more people worthy of blame
    than there is blame to go around."

  11. Paul Sture

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:19:25 -0700, Michelle Steiner wrote:

    > In article
    > <-september.org>,
    > "Wayne C. Morris" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Did you do a Get Info on the folder to see when it was created and who
    >> owns it?

    > It was created on April 11, 2010, and modified on April 26, 2011.
    > Curious that I had never noticed it before.
    >
    > The creator is shown as "Fetching..." and is greyed out. The icon is a
    > user icon with an exclamation point badge. In other words, it doesn't
    > know who the creator is.
    >
    > Its Library folder is empty. I'm going to trash it.

    Could it be a temporary folder used by some app updating itself?

    --
    Paul Sture