comp shutting down all by itself

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jagadish, May 27, 2004.

  1. Jagadish

    Jagadish Guest

    hi,

    ive a compaq presario P4 1.9GHz, 40GB, 256MB RAM running
    Microsoft Windows XP home edition. Basically my first biggest problem
    is that recently my computer has developed a habit of switching off
    all by itself. it actually gives me the shut down dialog box all of a
    sudden while i'm working on something. and i just cancel it and go
    back to work but it keeps popping up once in awhile and suddenly
    switches off all by itself. i've checked the fans and cleaned them
    all. they all seem to be working fine. its happened once before but i
    opened up the comp and cleaned all the fans and there was no problem
    for awhile. but the problem has occurred again. i tried calling up the
    stupid support people but they werent much help really. i've no idea
    what's going on. there are no blue screen errors as well. just help me
    out.. its driving me nuts.

    Second thing is that my computer manufacturer told me that my
    computer has 256MB of RAM. but when when i open the properties it only
    shows me 246MB or RAM. i would like to know where the 10MB has gone.
    is there way i can recover it? thanks a lot in advance for all the
    help..
    Jagadish, May 27, 2004

  2. Jagadish

    Aaron Guest

    (Jagadish) wrote in message news:<>...
    > hi,
    >
    > ive a compaq presario P4 1.9GHz, 40GB, 256MB RAM running
    > Microsoft Windows XP home edition. Basically my first biggest problem
    > is that recently my computer has developed a habit of switching off
    > all by itself. it actually gives me the shut down dialog box all of a
    > sudden while i'm working on something. and i just cancel it and go
    > back to work but it keeps popping up once in awhile and suddenly
    > switches off all by itself. i've checked the fans and cleaned them
    > all. they all seem to be working fine. its happened once before but i
    > opened up the comp and cleaned all the fans and there was no problem
    > for awhile. but the problem has occurred again. i tried calling up the
    > stupid support people but they werent much help really. i've no idea
    > what's going on. there are no blue screen errors as well. just help me
    > out.. its driving me nuts.

    Look up percussive maintenance at http://www.dictionary.com
    Actually, you probably have an overheating problem. Does your CPU
    have it's own fan? I would think for a 1.9 GHz you need at least a
    back fan plus the Power Supply fan. Speaking of power supplies, that
    could also be your source of the problem. But first check CPU temp,
    or get dust out of case, or something like that. Improve airflow
    however.

    > Second thing is that my computer manufacturer told me that my
    > computer has 256MB of RAM. but when when i open the properties it only
    > shows me 246MB or RAM. i would like to know where the 10MB has gone.
    > is there way i can recover it? thanks a lot in advance for all the
    > help..

    Your RAM is going down the mouth of your integrated video system.

    Aaron
    Aaron, May 28, 2004

  3. Jagadish

    Jagadish Guest

    thank Aaron.. its just the fluctuating power supply. i need to get a
    UPS. hopefully that would sort out this problem. thanks for the help.
    :)
    Jagadish, May 28, 2004