Compaq Deskpro (probably Mainboard failure)

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by hunterke, Jul 2, 2007.

  1. hunterke

    hunterke Guest

    Hi there

    I just got a pretty old Compaq Deskpro config, really nothing special
    approxx 1,3 GHz, 128 RAM, everything else integrated, and with a smal
    HDD

    the box wasn'tg opened, so the computer was untouched for like fiv
    years

    i tried to turn it on, but nothing happened..
    the led on the mainbord is on, so the power supply is OK (I trie
    another one too...

    the cables leading to the turn on button seem to be OK too, cuz
    tried to connect the jumpers manually, and still nothing happened

    i don't know what the problem is, the PC is too old for a complaint
    and I really dont know what know

    i mean can i fix it somehow? probably not, but i'm courious, maybe
    didn't try everything..

    hunterke, Jul 2, 2007

  2. hunterke

    - Bobb - Guest

    "hunterke" <-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hi there!
    >
    > I just got a pretty old Compaq Deskpro config, really nothing special,
    > approxx 1,3 GHz, 128 RAM, everything else integrated, and with a small
    > HDD.

    " the box wasn't opened, so the computer was untouched for five years."

    Does this mean that it was a NEW PC that was never plugged in prior to you
    doing so ? Or might it mean someone blew it up 5 yrs ago and put it in a
    box meaning to call Compaq - but didn't. You came along recently and found
    the box - in the closet at work maybe ?

    - Bobb -, Jul 2, 2007

  3. hunterke

    Ben Myers Guest

    The usual way I diagnose computer problems is by substituting known working
    parts for what may or may not be working. To do this, you need to have some
    extra parts lying around. If the Deskpro motherboard and power supply are
    standard sized, then you can substitute parts easily.

    At this point, the system may not be powering up because any one of the power
    supply, motherboard, processor, or memory could have failed. Memory failures
    are generally pretty rare. Processor failures are even more rare, especially if
    nothing else has failed.

    If you can find a friendly and inexpensive computer repair place, that may be
    the quickest way to a working computer, as long as Compaq spare parts are
    available. But I would not spend more than $50 on the computer, and someone
    else may even consider that to be too much... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 3, 2007
  4. hunterke

    hunterke Guest

    > hunterke wrote
    > Hi there
    >
    > I just got a pretty old Compaq Deskpro config, really nothin

    special, approxx 1,3 GHz, 128 RAM, everything else integrated, an
    with a small HDD

    > the box wasn'tg opened, so the computer was untouched for like fiv

    years

    > i tried to turn it on, but nothing happened..
    > the led on the mainbord is on, so the power supply is OK (I trie

    another one too...

    > the cables leading to the turn on button seem to be OK too, cuz

    tried to connect the jumpers manually, and still nothing happened

    > i don't know what the problem is, the PC is too old for

    complaint; and I really dont know what know

    > i mean can i fix it somehow? probably not, but i'm courious, mayb

    i didn't try everything..

    It was untouched until now. N
    dust, nothing. It was in the box the whole time. I'm 100% sure

    I've tried to change the power supply/memory, mouse+kbd (tha
    shouldn't be a problem though), but nothing..

    Thanks for the tips, I'm thinking the same thing; it has no reason t
    "invest" in it's repair, because it's too old for now..

    I just thought it might have some jumper protection for lame users, o
    whatever; that should prevent unwanted people from first usage
    But it seems nothing like this exists..

    hunterke, Jul 3, 2007
  5. hunterke

    > Hi there!
    >
    > I just got a pretty old Compaq Deskpro, really nothing special,
    > approx 1,3 GHz, 128 RAM, everything else integrated, and with a small
    > HDD.
    >
    > the box wasn't opened, so the computer was untouched for like five
    > years.
    >
    > I tried to turn it on, but nothing happened...
    > the led on the mainboard is on, so the power supply is OK (I tried
    > another one too...)

    Does the fan on the ps turn at all when you hit the ON button ?

    Don't get upset -
    just asking in case the replacement PS was with the original shipment:
    On each power supply was the 110/220V slide switch in the correct position
    ?
    ( Half the correct voltage might be enough to turn on an LED but nothing
    else. )
    I can tell you that a friend has a PC that was dead and wouldn't turn on
    its fan AND the LED on the mainboard was lit. It's happened twice. Each
    time it was a bad power supply.

    If nothing else, go to www.Compaq.com and search for your model number.
    Then " go to " manuals - Setup, Service for specifics before tossing it.
    Good luck.

    - Bobb -, Jul 4, 2007
  6. hunterke

    hunterke Guest

    > hunterke wrote
    > Hi there
    >
    > I just got a pretty old Compaq Deskpro config, really nothin

    special, approxx 1,3 GHz, 128 RAM, everything else integrated, an
    with a small HDD

    > the box wasn'tg opened, so the computer was untouched for like fiv

    years

    > i tried to turn it on, but nothing happened..
    > the led on the mainbord is on, so the power supply is OK (I trie

    another one too...

    > the cables leading to the turn on button seem to be OK too, cuz

    tried to connect the jumpers manually, and still nothing happened

    > i don't know what the problem is, the PC is too old for

    complaint; and I really dont know what know

    > i mean can i fix it somehow? probably not, but i'm courious, mayb

    i didn't try everything..

    well, I had these things in min
    too

    pushing the button has NO effect on any component of the mainboard, o
    anything (the led is on when I connect the PS) -the other supply i
    100% OK, because I'm using in the other PC on a daily basis

    The slide is OK as well (I've put it in the other position, and bac
    again, but nothing. /it wasn't connecten then of course/

    hunterke, Jul 4, 2007
  7. Hi!

    If the system unit is really new and untouched after all these years, you
    might look at the clock battery on the motherboard. It will most likely be a
    round, shiny and reflective silver button cell battery. This battery is most
    likely a CR2032.

    It is a long shot, but this battery could well be dead. Some computers won't
    power up with a missing/dead battery. You can buy one (buy a name brand
    battery!) for $2-$3 if you're in the US and probably for a similar amount
    elsewhere.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Jul 4, 2007
  8. hunterke

    - Bobb - Guest

    "William R. Walsh" <>
    wrote in message news:1WQii.194435$_c5.18423@attbi_s22...
    > Hi!
    >
    > If the system unit is really new and untouched after all these years,
    > you
    > might look at the clock battery on the motherboard. It will most likely
    > be a
    > round, shiny and reflective silver button cell battery. This battery is
    > most
    > likely a CR2032.
    >
    > It is a long shot, but this battery could well be dead. Some computers
    > won't
    > power up with a missing/dead battery. You can buy one (buy a name brand
    > battery!) for $2-$3 if you're in the US and probably for a similar
    > amount
    > elsewhere.
    >
    > William

    That's worth a shot! : maybe it is bad and pulling the voltage down - pop
    it out and try to power up.
    In the past, I've generally found without a battery ( or dead) it just
    asks BIOS settings each time you turn it on. ( since it doesn't remember
    the settings).

    - Bobb -, Jul 4, 2007
  9. hunterke

    > > hunterke wrote:
    > > Hi there!
    > >
    > > I just got a pretty old Compaq Deskpro config, really nothing

    > special, approxx 1,3 GHz, 128 RAM, everything else integrated, and
    > with a small HDD.
    > >
    > > the box wasn'tg opened, so the computer was untouched for like five

    > years.
    > >
    > > i tried to turn it on, but nothing happened...
    > > the led on the mainbord is on, so the power supply is OK (I tried

    > another one too...)
    > >
    > > the cables leading to the turn on button seem to be OK too, cuz i

    > tried to connect the jumpers manually, and still nothing happened.
    > >
    > > i don't know what the problem is, the PC is too old for a

    > complaint; and I really dont know what know.
    > >
    > > i mean can i fix it somehow? probably not, but i'm courious, maybe

    > i didn't try everything...
    >
    > well, I had these things in mind
    > too.
    >

    > pushing the button has NO effect on any component of the mainboard, or
    > anything (the led is on when I connect the PS) -the other supply is
    > 100% OK, because I'm using in the other PC on a daily basis.
    >
    > The slide is OK as well (I've put it in the other position, and back
    > again, but nothing. /it wasn't connecten then of course/)

    Are you replying to me ?
    ( you keep replying to your original question)

    Why now you say 2 pc's ? And the other one is a Compaq Deskpro too ?
    so you have TWO of these Compaq Deskpro's ? one works and one doesn't ?
    If you don't have identical boxes, power supplies, then the fact that a ps
    works in one and not the other doesn't mean that all parts of the PS are
    good - just that the second might not need one voltage that the other does
    need.
    Again I'll cite experience with PC's I've worked on:
    Symptom - DEAD. ( With PS "A" in there). The internal LED is on.
    Try another PS ( not identical one "B" ) - same thing.
    Put PS A in a second box - worked.
    Put PS from B in second box - worked.
    Replaced A with identical PS and it worked in the dead PC - so SOME part
    of A's output IS used by the otherwise dead PC when it was not needed by
    the second PC. This was especially true when 20/24 pin power supplies were
    in transition. ( Maybe your vintage ?) On some, the 4 pin connector
    plugged right into the motherboard - not as part of the 24 pin connector.
    If so, then it needed that type. Using the 20 -24 pin adapter in the
    second box worked fine because the motherboard in the second got its
    voltages wired directly on the board ( maybe one etch goes to 4 pinouts
    whereas on box A each needs a good output ??).

    Unplug it and pop out the battery ( as Matthew recommended) with original
    PS in there.
    Good luck.

    - Bobb -, Jul 4, 2007
  10. hunterke

    hunterke Guest

    > hunterke wrote
    > Hi there
    >
    > I just got a pretty old Compaq Deskpro config, really nothin

    special, approxx 1,3 GHz, 128 RAM, everything else integrated, an
    with a small HDD

    > the box wasn'tg opened, so the computer was untouched for like fiv

    years

    > i tried to turn it on, but nothing happened..
    > the led on the mainbord is on, so the power supply is OK (I trie

    another one too...

    > the cables leading to the turn on button seem to be OK too, cuz

    tried to connect the jumpers manually, and still nothing happened

    > i don't know what the problem is, the PC is too old for

    complaint; and I really dont know what know

    > i mean can i fix it somehow? probably not, but i'm courious, mayb

    i didn't try everything..

    Thank you again, I already trie
    the CMOS baterry change, but with no success..

    The other computer, I was taking the parts from (battery, powe
    supply) is one of my working computers, so they're 100% good
    And no, that's a pentium also, but different socket, there's n
    similarity

    I gave this Compaq away recently, so I don't really care about i
    anymore, but thanks for everybody's advice. Too bad I couldn't figur
    out what was wrong
    Maybe Bobb was right with the power supplys. I can't remember if
    tried my working computer with the compaq power supply..
    Anyway, new computers are quite cheap nowadays, so i don't really car
    about it

    hunterke, Jul 13, 2007
  11. hunterke

    HH Guest

    I'd try removing and then reinstalling the processor, memory, etc.

    HH

    HH, Jul 13, 2007